User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: QOTD: Would you give workmen/women a drink of water when working at your home?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I always have and do not expect anything in return. My Dad used to be an installer and I know how hard it is for them to work outside all day and also I see what our drivers at work go through making deliveries so I always offer.

At work I know most of our locations keep bottled water in their kitchenettes which they also offer delivery drivers on really hot days and the bathrooms are always available for use. It always shocks me the number of drivers who tell us other stops will not allow them to use the washrooms.
    Sometimes, they say no, to using the WC, because customers may see and ask if they can also use the washroom. I don't think the businesses are against the drivers. I think the businesses just made a rule for everyone.
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

for sure -2 guys put in our garage door in jan on the coldest day ever -made them coffee and peanut butter cookies -they thanked me
    -2 people came the other day from near Toronto(friends of friends of ours) to buy my mom's stair lift since they came for an hour drive-I offered them 2 bottles water for their drive home -ahh you are so kind they said
    Natalka, Ciel, seylz_gurl and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    for sure -2 guys put in our garage door in jan on the coldest day ever -made them coffee and peanut butter cookies -they thanked me
    -2 people came the other day from near Toronto(friends of friends of ours) to buy my mom's stair lift since they came for an hour drive-I offered them 2 bottles water for their drive home -ahh you are so kind they said
    good idea selling the stair lift
    would have never thought of that
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I offered a couple of electricians some pizza and pop, but they were here for a few hours.

I tend to overdo things :p
    Ciel and dededi like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I think women are more tuned into empathy for others thus the food and drink offers. I have placed a cooler bag of bottled water out and one package of ice pops for a roofing crew. The water was taken but the pops not-humid day and we had a language barrier as well but I knew agua was understood. Of course no other family member did cleanup so I did after I checked for any nails left on the ground at night.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I do, I've had a contractor working at my house for the last 2.5 weeks, I offered coffee when he came in the door and water bottles throughout the day as my brothers are roofers and if they ask if they can fill there coolers with water - people say to use the hose outside .

Anyways like I said I was giving coffee in the morning and water bottles throughout the 1st week, HOWEVER< when I was downstairs a week and a half ago I could hear him walking around, then I heard my fridge door open & close (it's not loud I just know the location and the sounds). I came up shortly after that happened and offered him a water bottle, he said I already grabbed 1, WELL THAT WAS THE END OF THAT.

It's 1 thing to offer but to go into a customers fridge and help yourself - that's where I draw the line.

It may seem harsh but I felt taken advantage of, thoughts, comments,
    Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I do, I've had a contractor working at my house for the last 2.5 weeks, I offered coffee when he came in the door and water bottles throughout the day as my brothers are roofers and if they ask if they can fill there coolers with water - people say to use the hose outside .

Anyways like I said I was giving coffee in the morning and water bottles throughout the 1st week, HOWEVER< when I was downstairs a week and a half ago I could hear him walking around, then I heard my fridge door open & close (it's not loud I just know the location and the sounds). I came up shortly after that happened and offered him a water bottle, he said I already grabbed 1, WELL THAT WAS THE END OF THAT.

It's 1 thing to offer but to go into a customers fridge and help yourself - that's where I draw the line.

It may seem harsh but I felt taken advantage of, thoughts, comments,
    No he should ask and not help himself.

If the workmen are inside, we are near by. Not in their way, but so we can see what's going on.
    Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    442 (100%)

Coming from the west it is just western hospitality. If they are working over lunch most people will invite them in for a bit to eat and then for a coffee break

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Yep! I like giving cold water bottles ( or sometimes a pitcher of juice with disposables) and wrapped snacks- like granola bars or snack sized treats if I have them around the house.
    Tell them to help themselves to it and they're welcome to use the guest washroom- but boots off! lol

I do it because I think it's nice and I'd like it if someone did that for me. :D
    Natalka, Ciel, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Otherwise one never knows how long a trip to Tim Horton's might take for coffees, meals and bathrooms.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    A few weeks ago we had some workpersons at our place doing some outside carpentry, that we could no do.
    Does it make a difference if you offer them something to drink? Do you get a better carpentry product with random acts of kindness?

We saw that Loblaws ordered too much bottled water so we got a case. Reg. $2.99, sale $0.88..
    We had contracters for a couple of days to do a window replacement. It was a very hot Spring day.

I told them they had UNLIMITED water. Yep, just picked up a case lot. Some of the bottles were left in the freezer before they arrived. While some enjoyed lukewarm... others welcomed the frozen ice in the bottles. If they needed a washroom..... the mall was a 5 minute drive away.

For lunch? Pizza and KFC the next day. I wanted the workers to be happy, but don't want food poisoning with my cooking.
    Ciel, Shwa Girl and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Otherwise one never knows how long a trip to Tim Horton's might take for coffees, meals and bathrooms.
    In my experience, they may not even come back if they leave for Timmie's!

My other half does construction work and it amazes me how many homeowners won't let them use a washroom, tell them to get drinking water outside or don't let them use the driveway and watch them carry heavy materials/tools from wherever they can find parking.

A cold drink goes a long way in that line of work but he could probably name you all the customers who bought them a pizza/made lunch
    Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    In my experience, they may not even come back if they leave for Timmie's!

My other half does construction work and it amazes me how many homeowners won't let them use a washroom, tell them to get drinking water outside or don't let them use the driveway and watch them carry heavy materials/tools from wherever they can find parking.

A cold drink goes a long way in that line of work but he could probably name you all the customers who bought them a pizza/made lunch
    Over the years, we usually tell them by phone, that they should back their truck in the driveway. Some say their truck has a trailer that's too long, so they'll figure something out. Others thank us for thinking about that.
    Ciel likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information