User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: And you wonder why grocery stores limit quantities? 2 cartloads?Really?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I agree that being just about struck by a cart pushed by another shopper is no swell thing. That's a valid observation and you ensured your health.

Not a fan of clearing racks or shelves of specials-there's a reason one wants to do the right thing and share the wealth by
    taking only what is needed for right then. Besides, no one wishes to have to hide their face when grocery shopping if enough shoppers notice that one clears out the specials?
    Shwa Girl and Davetherave like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I agree that being just about struck by a cart pushed by another shopper is no swell thing. That's a valid observation and you ensured your health.

Not a fan of clearing racks or shelves of specials-there's a reason one wants to do the right thing and share the wealth by
    taking only what is needed for right then. Besides, no one wishes to have to hide their face when grocery shopping if enough shoppers notice that one clears out the specials?
    It's not really a special though. It's expiring product that would otherwise be garbage because they cannot sell it. I get annoyed by "shelf clearing" of sales. I've been all over looking for sweet baby ray's bbq sauce. But that's an advertised deal. That people see and make a trip to go buy. These are unadvertised, early bird gets the worm, first come first served clearance items. If there was a cart of diapers clearance for $1 a bag darn right I'd wheel the whole cart up to the till. No shame. I have two in diapers and that would be a huge weight off our budget while it lasted. And it's no ones business. Who's to say this isn't the only way this family (or both families) can afford to eat meat? It's just such a bizarre thing to be angry about? If they bought every pack of ground meat at regular retail price would this be an issue? Nope. I don't consider clearance and sale shelf clearing the same at all. Especially if it's a perishable item that's destined for a dumpster.
    Last edited by samm07; Mon, May 16th, 2016 at 08:03 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Let me play devil's advocate for just a moment...

You say these people were not volunteers or collecting for charity... but how do you know they arent just good samaritans doing their part in favour of a local charity?

For example: I have, in the past, bought up a LOT of a particular sale food item, with the sole intent to then turn around and donate them myself to the local food bank and/or soup kitchens. I wasnt working for them, not volunteering, and not affiliated with them otherwise. The store would have no knowledge of my practice, nor did they need to know. They were selling the items I bought and that's all they needed or cared about.

Another point: My girlfriend is a teacher at a school in a disadvantaged neighbourhood. She helps with the school's breakfast and hot lunch programs to help feed those kids that might not otherwise get a decent breakfast or lunch. -- The stores have no idea who she is or what she does and she doesnt parade around the notion. But when she sees a good price on some of the foods they serve, she'll buy it in droves for these meal programs. They freeze a lot of the meat and breads they buy.

What I'm getting at is that there's absolutely no way to know who these people are or what their intent is with their large bulk "pink sticker" purchases. Just because they dont have a badge on identifying themselves as volunteers and/or they're just going through the checkouts like everyone else, doesn't mean they're intentions are less than admirable. And if they are able to secure the bargains when they are put on the shelf, then good on them.

And frankly, I'd rather food nearing expiration is being sold... regardless if it's a few packs, or by the cartload. I'd rather see that than seeing the store throwing it in the dumpster.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, May 19th, 2016 at 10:08 PM.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I think we are very quick to judge. Maybe they have a large extended family or neighbours or friends that pool their resources and shop once per month or so? We don't know all the details of the why's and wherefore's, so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. As well, as others have said, at least it did not go to waste.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information