• 1 Post By Poirot
  • 1 Post By ridley_donovan
  • 1 Post By evanxl
  • 2 Post By Brad

Thread: Lawn weeds

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Has anyone tried using a natural way to get rid of lawn weeds? Does vinegar actually work? I don't want to kill my grass. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I can't be bothered.. I just dig. If you keep up with them, it's not too bad, but if you let them take over......
    greeny likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    I can't be bothered.. I just dig. If you keep up with them, it's not too bad, but if you let them take over......
    I really don't like spraying dangerous chemicals. I hired a company to do it this year as the weeds grew too fast and were taking over before I noticed. Some of them have died but there are still plenty out there. If I dig them out, what about the hole left behind? Should I fill the holes or will grass grow there? My lawn is less than a year old and not very thick yet.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    I really don't like spraying dangerous chemicals. I hired a company to do it this year as the weeds grew too fast and were taking over before I noticed. Some of them have died but there are still plenty out there. If I dig them out, what about the hole left behind? Should I fill the holes or will grass grow there? My lawn is less than a year old and not very thick yet.
    Definitely put grass seed down or leave a hole and you find will another weed there soon.
    greeny likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

With Vinegar, I am a little concerned about how it’s acidity would affect the soil ph. I would suggest try mulching it would minimize your weed problem plus retain moisture of the soil.
    greeny likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Using vinegar too often can be a problem. Over time, vinegar changes the soil's pH to be more acidic. Not all grass or trees can survive in acidic soil, so the change in pH can be more harmful to the plants than the vinegar itself. The solution? You can add potash to the soil that can help control some of the acidity.
    Last edited by evanxl; Tue, Sep 5th, 2017 at 01:19 AM.
    greeny likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A mix of vinegar, salt, and a small amount of dish soap is an effective herbicide, but it will kill grass too. I use it in the cracks of my walkway and it works.

For weeds on my lawn, I tried scott's weed b gon but it's not cost effective if you have a lot of weeds, even if you buy the concentrate. If you travel to the US you can buy many cheap effect weed killers that you can spray all over your lawn and will kill weeds but not grass, unfortunately they are not sold in Canada.

I recently bought a weed puller and it's pretty easy to use but it leaves holes in the ground. You simply drive it into the ground and twist it and it pulls out the weed with the root. Then I just kinda step on the holes then sprinkle some grass seed in the area. The holes are actually good cause they aerate the lawn.
    greeny and dededi like this.

Thread Information