Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast
Like Tree709Likes

Thread: 2016 US Presidental election thread

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

om Tremblay has spent decades advocating for the prevention of sexual assault and domestic violence, first as a police officer in Vermont and now as a consultant. Much of his work focuses on how to improve law enforcement practices to make it easier for victims of sexual assault to come forward and report crimes. The fact that it took some women decades to report Donald Trump’s alleged sexual misconduct doesn’t surprise him at all.
    “Victims may wait days, weeks, months, years, decades,” he says. “When one victim comes forward, it’s not at all uncommon to see other victims come forward, who are thinking, ‘Well, they came forward; now it’s not just my word.’ And then we see the next victim says the same thing.”
    Victims wait to report assault, Tremblay says, because of the power dynamics often at play in these crimes.

“Oftentimes [power and control are] purposefully leveraged during the assault and afterward, with things like, ‘Nobody is going to believe you, I’m an important person in the community,’” he says.
    Tremblay and I spoke Thursday afternoon about why women often wait long periods before reporting sexual assault, what law enforcement could do to better assist victims, and how the language the media uses can often disadvantaged victims. What follows is a transcribed version of our conversation, edited for length and clarity.
    http://www.vox.com/identities/2016/1...tims-reporting
    Lynn49 likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Trump supporters talk rebellion, assassination at his rallies

At a time when trust in government is at a low point, Trump is actively stoking fears that a core tenet of American democracy is also in peril: that you can trust what happens at the ballot box.
    His supporters here said they plan to go to their local precincts to look for illegal immigrants who may attempt to vote. They are worried that Democrats will load up buses of minorities and take them to vote several times in different areas of the city. They’ve heard rumors that boxes of Clinton votes are already waiting somewhere.
    And if Trump doesn’t win, some are even openly talking about violent rebellion and assassination, as fantastical and unhinged as that may seem.
    “If she’s in office, I hope we can start a coup. She should be in prison or shot. That’s how I feel about it,” Dan Bowman, a 50-year-old contractor, said of Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee. “We’re going to have a revolution and take them out of office if that’s what it takes. There’s going to be a lot of bloodshed. But that’s what it’s going to take. . . . I would do whatever I can for my country.”
    He then placed a Trump mask on his face and posed for pictures.
    Trump’s campaign has taken a sharp turn toward such dark warnings in recent days. He says he is a victim of conspiracies, portrays himself as a martyr to the cause of the right wing, and is stoking anger in advance of what may be a defeat on Nov. 8.

Trump has suggested that the Secret Service protecting Clinton should be disarmed and “see what happens to her,” and that “Second Amendment people” could take matters into their own hands if she wins and appoints judges who support gun control. But his campaign disavowed some of the remarks of his supporters on Saturday after this article was posted online.
    “We reject violence in any form and will not allow it to be a part of our campaign,” the Trump campaign said in a statement. “Those who hold unacceptable views do not represent the millions of Americans who are tired of the rigged Washington system that will make their voices heard at the ballot box on Nov. 8.”

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

New Mexico GOP mailer "we'll tell your neighbors if you vote Democrat"

When Anthony Tennent took the flyer out of his Albuquerque, New Mexico mailbox, he knew he had to tell somebody.

“I’m not that big into social media. I don't usually take the time to share that kind of thing,” he told The Daily Beast. “It really bothered me.”

The mailer shows a woman in a cold blue hue peeking through her blinds. “When the Democrats win the election and you didn’t do your part… your neighbors will know,” it reads, in all caps.

The back shows a map of houses, some tagged with red check marks in blue pinpoints.

“Do your part in this election,” it says. “After all, voting is a matter of public record.”

The flyer says it was mailed by the Republican Party of New Mexico. A spokesperson for the party, W. Tucker Keene, told The Daily Beast the party had, in fact, mailed the card. He said he was in a meeting and hung up when asked more about the flyer.
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Sun, Oct 16th, 2016 at 04:10 PM. Reason: eta linkie
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Officials : Vandalized GOP build was an attack on democracy.

A meeting place for republicans in Orange County was vandalized Saturday night.
    According to officers with the Hillsborough Police Department, the building at 347 Ja-Max Drive was vandalized overnight with graffiti and a flammable substance. Officials say the graffiti included a swastika and the words "Nazi Republicans leave town or else." The words were painted in black on the side of a business located adjacent to the headquarters.
    The flammable substance, which was contained in a bottle and thrown through one of the building's front windows, burned some furniture and damaged the building's interior before extinguishing itself.
    “This highly disturbing act goes far beyond vandalizing property," Hillsborough Mayor Tom Stevens said. "It willfully threatens our community’s safety, and its hateful message undermines decency, respect and integrity in civic participation."
    The incident comes 25 days before Election Day and executive director of the North Carolina Republican Party Dallas Woodhouse is requesting extra security following the incident.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/police-republica...tRRlElMFFGM.99
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ Go Democrats!
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Trump supporters promising to "Intimidate nonwhite voters on Election Day"

In the weeks leading up to the presidential election, Donald Trump has urged his followers to spend time on Election Day intimidating nonwhite voters. He tells them that after they vote on November 8, it’s their duty to go en masse to “some other place” and make sure that no one’s engaging in voter fraud. “Go sit there with your friends and make sure it's on the up-and-up,” he’s said.
    Trump doesn’t explicitly say the “other place” needs to be somewhere nonwhite people are voting. Sometimes he says “specific areas”; on one occasion, during an appearance in Pennsylvania, he called out Philadelphia.
    But at least some of his supporters are picking up on the subtext. And some are openly admitting to reporters — like Matt Viser and Tracy Jan of the Boston Globe — that they’re going to engage in some “racial profiling” at the polls, and make supposedly foreign-looking voters “a little bit nervous.”
    “I’ll look for . . . well, it’s called racial profiling. Mexicans. Syrians. People who can’t speak American,” he said. “I’m going to go right up behind them. I’ll do everything legally. I want to see if they are accountable. I’m not going to do anything illegal. I’m going to make them a little bit nervous.”

That quote is from a man named Steve Webb who lives in Fairfield, Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati). That appears to be his real name — or at least, there is a Steve Webb on Facebook who fits that description and is an active Trump supporter.
    In other words, Webb, to all appearances, isn’t just planning to make voters feel “a little bit nervous” if they “can’t speak American”(i.e. might be noncitizens and might be trying to vote illegally). He is so confident that he’s doing the morally and legally right thing that he was willing to put his name and face to his plan.
    It’s really hard to overstate how alarming this is.
    Lynn49 likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

wish I was back at the lovely B & B now, no cable or WiFi distractions....breathing in the crisp fall air, strolling along the grass enjoying all the beautiful but large and menacing looking wild cats and other animals.....sigh......then I realize Donald Trump still exists and ask " why are THEY are the ones living in cages???!!
    Lynn49 and thriftygranny like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Does this remind anyone of the beginning of Hitler's movement in Germany???!!
    Racism, intimidation....welcome to the world of trump, people.

walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

No posts on all the leaked emails? All types of media have them,some are so very interesting, indeed.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    No posts on all the leaked emails? All types of media have them,some are so very interesting, indeed.
    Well there's this...
    Clinton’s team unleashes Watergate attack against Trump
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...-russia-229829

Four decades after five men broke into the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate, Hillary Clinton’s campaign is trying to frame the hacking of her campaign chairman’s email as a repeat of the most famous political scandal in American history – and to directly implicate Donald Trump.

“What did Trump know, and when did he know it?” the campaign asks in an essay that will post on Medium, a play on the famous line from the Senate’s Watergate investigation. (“What did the President know and when did he know it?” Sen. Howard Baker asked then.)
    Story Continued Below

“We’re witnessing another effort to steal private campaign documents in order to influence an election,” Clinton campaign spokesman Glen Caplin writes in an early version of the post, which was shared with POLITICO. “Only this time, instead of filing cabinets, it’s people’s emails they’re breaking into…and a foreign government is behind it.”
    Lynn49 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    And probably faked.
    Patty Smyth and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Democrats raise over $13k to help rebuild firebombed GOP offices

Democrats joined together on Sunday night to raise funds to rebuild a GOP office that was firebombed in North Carolina over the weekend.
    Vandals attacked the Hillsborough, North Carolina GOP office late Saturday night, throwing a Molotov cocktail through one of the building’s front windows, according to a statement released by the town. The words “Nazi Republicans leave town or else” and a swastika were spray-painted in black on a building adjacent to the office, which houses a party goods store.
    North Carolina is a key swing-state in the general election, but that didn’t stop a group of Democrats from launching a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for the GOP office. According to David Weinberger, a research fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School, the GoFundMe campaign was inspired by this tweet from writer and University of North Carolina professor Zeynep Tufekci:

Weinberger, Arizona State University professor Dan Gillmor and a few others soon joined forces to create the GoFundMe page bearing this message:
    “As Democrats, we are starting this campaign to enable the Orange County, North Carolina Republican office to re-open as soon as possible.

Until an investigation is undertaken, we cannot know who did this or why. No matter the result, this is not how Americans resolve their differences. We talk, we argue, sometimes we march, and most of all we vote. We do not resort to violence by individuals or by mobs.

So, let’s all pitch in, no matter what your party affiliation, in and get that office open again quickly.”
    The campaign was not an official effort by the Democratic Party, Jeff Jarvis, professor and director of the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism at the City University of New York’s Graduate School of Journalism, wrote on the GoFundMe page.
    “It is the effort of a half-dozen Democrats (of which I am one). This is a moment for graciousness, not fractiousness,” Jarvis wrote.
    Donations quickly poured in and the campaign’s $10,000 goal was surpassed within a couple hours, Weinberger said. In total, organizers raised $13,167 from 552 donations before closing the fund.
    Some donors added a message with their gift, saying that political violence was simply unacceptable.
    “This act of terror was an attack on all of us,” donor Vivian Vacca wrote on the site. “In moments like these, there’s no partisanship. We’re all Americans. We stand by you.”
    Weinberger said the funds would be given to the North Carolina GOP with a note saying that the donation was intended to help get the firebombed office back in operation.
    “The true motive force for this effort’s incredibly quick success: a thirst for civility and a way to remember our shared love of democracy,” he said.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I couldn't find the whole SNL sketch on the second debate but CNN has some of the funniest moments.
    Is it wrong I have watched this show since the 70"s and though the laughs are few and far between for me now, I think Alex Baldwin did an excellent portrayal and Kate McKinnon is hilarious!
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/16/medi...second-debate/

Wait I found the whole segment .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vm5leR8sTs
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Mon, Oct 17th, 2016 at 11:58 AM.
    Lynn49 and walkonby like this.

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread Information