User Tag List

Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
Like Tree709Likes

Thread: 2016 US Presidental election thread

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    uh...Darth, I wouldn't count on Donald asking Tiffany ( his DD from Marla Maples that he mentioned he is proud of " to a lesser degree " than his other 3 adult kids ) to be a stand in at any events.
    She obviously wanted his love and approval as any daughter would but I cringe from sadness for her every time I have seen her on stage with the others.
    I'm *hoping* ...but she does seem to be the outsider..But it does seem more likely that Ivanka is the golden child.
    walkonby likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    The only concern I have is going to be the cost of Secret Service at either Trump Tower or another house which First Lady Trump and their son is going to live in. Having a split site is going to be more costly even though President -elect Trump claims he's not going to take his full $400,000 salary.
    Lol, why would that be a concern of yours? You're an American taxpayer, are you? And yes, Trump said he'll take $1 in salary per year. That's $3 million less than Obama has taken. I think it's okay for the secret service to protect President Elect Trumps family, that's what they exist to do, after all.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-government/
    This is a positive change that people who leave the administration will have to wait five years before they can become lobbyists. Something we have here in Canada.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Let me put that differently: Clinton won the majority vote: more people across the country voted for her than Trump.

Just goes to show that being in the majority doesn't always get you further in life.
    I disagree...the majority of her votes were in Calif, she didn't have votes 'across the country'.
    GoJays, electric_viking and DaveP like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

In the modern era of presidential politics, no candidate has ever won the popular vote by more than Hillary Clinton did this year, yet still managed to lose the electoral college. In that sense, 2016 was a historic split: Donald Trump won the presidency by as much as 74 electoral votes (depending on how Michigan ends up) while losing the nationwide vote to Clinton by 1.7 million votes and counting.

But there's another divide exposed by the election, which researchers at the Brookings Institution recently discovered as they sifted the election returns. It has no bearing on the election outcome, but it tells us something important about the state of the country and its politics moving forward.

The divide is economic, and it is massive. According to the Brookings analysis, the less-than-500 counties that Clinton won nationwide combined to generate 64 percent of America's economic activity in 2015. The more-than-2,600 counties that Trump won combined to generate 36 percent of the country's economic activity last year.

Clinton, in other words, carried nearly two-thirds of the American economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...this-election/

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    I disagree...the majority of her votes were in Calif, she didn't have votes 'across the country'.
    She won cities across the country. She did not win the rural areas of low population.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

She won cities across the country. She did not win the rural areas of low population.
    And what does that tell you? Never mind, you won't answer.

Hey, you're on the left, right? Michael Moore is on the left too. It's what he's based his career on. Anyway, this is what he said months before the election and he was absolutely right.

There you go, listen to one of your own lecale. Listen to it twice if you have to.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Well it remains to be seen if Trump is going to be these people's saviour.

He's already backpedaled on a number of positions that he held during his campaign.

Why do people think he's so trustworthy and capable? By Moore's take, that doesn't matter.

Given Trump's immediate change in positions after his election, I personally think he only said what he needed to say to take power.

I think his supporters are going to continue to be disappointed as he continues to change his policies away from those he campaigned with, and fails to address the issues over which they voted him in.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

15 Trump Flip-Flops in 15 Days
    The president-elect has made changing his mind a way of life. Why would his young presidency be any different?
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...t-elect-214478

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Trump's tax plan: massive cuts for the 1% will usher 'era of dynastic wealth'
    More than eight million low-income and single-parent families will face sharp tax increases under Donald Trump exacerbating income inequality, experts warn
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ome-inequality

President Donald Trump is set to give America’s richest 1% an average annual tax cut of $214,000 when he takes office, while more than eight million families with children are expected to suffer financially under his proposed tax plan.

On the eve of the election, Trump promised to “massively cut taxes for the middle class, the forgotten people, the forgotten men and women of this country, who built our country”. But independent expert analyses of Trump’s tax plan show that America’s millionaire and billionaire class will win big at the expense of struggling low- and middle-income people, who turned out in large numbers to help the real estate billionaire win the election.

Experts warn that Trump’s tax plan will exacerbate America’s already chronic income inequality and herald in a “new era of dynastic wealth”.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Should a recount be considered by Clinton?

Hillary Clinton is being urged by a group of prominent computer scientists and election lawyers to call for a recount in three swing states won by Donald Trump, New York has learned. The group, which includes voting-rights attorney John Bonifaz and J. Alex Halderman, the director of the University of Michigan Center for Computer Security and Society, believes they’ve found persuasive evidence that results in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania may have been manipulated or hacked.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...n-results.html

http://usuncut.com/politics/voting-m...lection-trump/

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Well it remains to be seen if Trump is going to be these people's saviour.

He's already backpedaled on a number of positions that he held during his campaign.

Why do people think he's so trustworthy and capable? By Moore's take, that doesn't matter.

Given Trump's immediate change in positions after his election, I personally think he only said what he needed to say to take power.

I think his supporters are going to continue to be disappointed as he continues to change his policies away from those he campaigned with, and fails to address the issues over which they voted him in.
    Sounds like every other politician that's ever been elected...LOL

How about we wait a bit to see what Trump will do......you may be pleasantly surprised.
    electric_viking likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    Sounds like every other politician that's ever been elected...LOL

How about we wait a bit to see what Trump will do......you may be pleasantly surprised.
    Why wait? I read about his antics every day and all I see is trouble brewing.

How long should we wait for this miracle renewal of America that Trump is going to cause to happen?

6 months? A year? Two years? Four years?

In my view, Trump is only out for himself, his businesses and his children.

The downtrodden have done their job for him: they voted. Now he can forget about them.
    walkonby likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Five dark clouds hanging over Trump presidency
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/22/opinio...tis/index.html

A hotbed for conflicts of interest. Trump's failure to release his tax returns and the countless lawsuits against him cast a shadow over his campaign. But the Trump presidency risks bringing unprecedented levels of corruption to the US government.

It is troubling enough to know that Trump is likely to allow his children to run the business rather than setting up a blind trust. But he is already including these same children in top-level meetings and calls with world leaders. In addition, he has taken time off from building a government to meet his partners from India, and suggested Tuesday that he may have lobbied Scotland against a wind farm near his golf course. And then there is Trump's hotel in Washington, which has reportedly hired a new "director of diplomatic sales." Already, foreign dignitaries appear to see stays as a way of currying favor with the President-elect.

The conflicts of interest are rolling along like an unstoppable freight train headed for a collision with the Constitution's Emoluments Clause.

But the issue goes beyond any actual efforts by Trump to enrich himself. A sense of corruption at the highest levels would be disastrous for America. And the truth is that Trump apparently doesn't understand the problem. He tweeted that we all knew about his businesses around the world, and that only the "crooked media" minds. On Tuesday, he allegedly told The New York Times: "The law's totally on my side, the president can't have a conflict of interest."
    Compare and contrast this with Trudeau's policy of transparency. Yes, everybody was up in arms about $50 airplane meals, but Trudeau would not have had to answer to that criticism if he just hid everything like Trump does.

I don't know why Trump's lack of transparancy isn't setting off alarm bells with people.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

If you are following the Russian voter fraud saga, Clinton's campaign has been loathe to go near it, but Jill Stein just stepped up:

Jill Stein prepares to request election recounts in battleground states
    Green party presidential candidate seeks donations to fund efforts in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin over ‘compelling evidence of voting anomalies’
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-pennsylvania

Jill Stein, the Green party’s presidential candidate, is prepared to request recounts of the election result in several key battleground states, her campaign said on Wednesday.

Stein launched an online fundraising page seeking donations toward a $2m fund she said was needed to request reviews of the results in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Stein said she was acting due to “compelling evidence of voting anomalies” and that data analysis had indicated “significant discrepancies in vote totals”.

Her move came amid calls for recounts or audits of the election results by groups of academics and activists concerned that foreign hackers may have interfered with election systems.
    walkonby likes this.

Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread Information