• 2 Post By Freestuffrighthere
  • 4 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By seylz_gurl
  • 1 Post By SassyAshley

Thread: dilemma

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I really need some advice here. Long story short. I am in the middle of a Career change and I informed my Manager of 3 years that I am changing my career, and she instead of being encouraging or at least unbiased, she got angry and upset and saying how she didn't want to lose me? Errr that was just awkward. So, I decided to stay casual like on call, but now I just wanted to focus on my new career and don't even want to be on call there anymore. How am I supposed to tell her????? I am feeling a little guilty for wanting to quit, but really just wanted to move on. She was an Ok manager when I was working there. Any suggestions..... ????
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Fri, May 6th, 2016 at 02:10 AM.
    Davetherave likes this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Is there some sort of contract or verbal promise that's holding you there? No? The you walk into her office and say 'I quit.' It's your life you live it how you please. Are you here to make others happy or yourself? You won't be happy until you take control of your life and do what YOU want to do.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP congratulations on your new career.
    Congratulations on your success in your old career.
    That manager could be an excellent reference when you become Vice President of Awesomeness.

Maybe do casual shifts in the first little while. Maye take on less and less casual shifts as 2016 progresses.
    ROMEO, Ciel, kidsteph and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    OP congratulations on your new career.
    Congratulations on your success in your old career.
    That manager could be an excellent reference when you become Vice President of Awesomeness.

Maybe do casual shifts in the first little while. Maye take on less and less casual shifts as 2016 progresses.
    OP, I also changed careers. For my present career, my references came from Directors at my old career. Some of my colleagues from the old career are Directors at their new jobs in the US. I keep in touch with them. Last month, coworkers from the old career connected with me on LinkedIn, wanting to get together like the old days -- once per week in the Summer and once a month rest of the year.

I neve rknow when they can be of help to me or vise versa.
    ROMEO, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I am a Human Resources consultant and let me tell you, I have seen my share of resignations. Just write her a brief and professional note stating that you have chosen to shift careers and that your last day with the company will be XX.
    ROMEO, Ciel, anastasia1009 and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Congrats on your new career path. It is always a good idea to act professionally when resigning. Don't burn bridges as you never know what can happen in life and you never know if you may wish to return at a later date. give an appropriate amount of notice and be thankful for all the experiences you have gained! best of luck in the you new career!
    emg and GracieAnne like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you for all the advice. I think I will have to be careful about this as most of you said being professional is important.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Any good manager should understand that your permanant full-time position trumps your casual on-call position.

You can't be expected to pass up that opportunity because she'll miss you. If she's going to miss you that much she could/should have made a better arrangement for you to continue working for her.

Now that you've taken the other position, it's about your own time, availability and your own quality of life. Working two 'sorta' jobs isnt what anyone wants or need. As you said, you prefer to focus on the new career.

Granted if you CAN do it, and you enjoy working for her on occasion for her, and it doesnt bite into your time... then no problem. However it sounds like this may be a concern. So, if she calls on you, and the request cuts into your time (personal or professional) then tell her as much. You simply tell her that you can't fill that request because it doesn't fit into your schedule.. the new job is demanding, and your free time is precious. "not now, maybe next time" -- she'll be forced to call on someone else... but maybe next time will be good. If it's not, same response... and perhaps it will force her to find someone more available to her. It's a gentle let-down where she doesnt feel insulted, but will be forced to look elsewhere.

While I would agree with others, she could be good reference, the word "could" is up for definition. If she gets upset or insulted that you took the option that was best for YOU and not for HER (ie: the other position)... then do you really want her giving what might be a rather uncertain reference in the first place?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Give your manager some time to digest the information. That is a tough position for you to be in even if it is flattering. She probably doesn't want to have to train someone etc. instead of looking at things from your side which is unfair. If you are able to stay until she trains someone she may give you a better recommendation. Friend of mine's boss would never okay her promotion within the company because he wanted her to continue to work for her when she wanted to expand her horizons...it happens. If you are ever in a situation where you want to return it might help if you stay awhile longer. Good luck!
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Wed, Jun 8th, 2016 at 01:29 PM.
    Kayle Dawn likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

My advice is cut your ties and move on. I only say this because I have been in this situation, left a job for my current one wasn't gone long and someone left. They asked me to help out a couple of days and figured why not a little extra $$$ needless to say after a month I had to put my foot down, it went from can you help here or there to here is your schedule for next week. Finally I had to say thank you for everything I loved my job here but I have moved on and can no longer help you guys out.
    toronto166 likes this.

Thread Information