• 1 Post By bullet tooth
  • 1 Post By AddyB
  • 1 Post By sampler

Thread: Acne control

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi again!

For those of you who (still?) get breakouts, what are your best techniques and products for controlling your acne? I am sick of plucking grey hairs, counting new wrinkles every time I look in the mirror, AND battling zits! My body won't decide if it's middle aged or teen aged, and I am hecka sick of it!

HELP!

Most affordable suggestions are most helpful I am pathologically cheap.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO, mrsf1sh, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

salycillic acid exfoliators break down the oils that are clogging your pores, and benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria that causes acne. you can use the two together, although if you find simply that keeping your pores clear with salycillic acid keeps acne away, then you don't necessarily need the BP. the BP can be any drug store brand that you like. I have yet to find a drug store salycillic acid.

apparently clear days ahead oil-free salicylic acid acne treatment is a reasonable one to try. I haven't used it, so I can't say.

Good luck! I am in my early 40's and still battling acne. Have been since I was 9 or 10. If I don't use my salycillic acid, I start to notice congested pores and breakouts.
    bullet tooth and dededi like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's a lotta good info, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    salycillic acid exfoliators break down the oils that are clogging your pores, and benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria that causes acne. you can use the two together, although if you find simply that keeping your pores clear with salycillic acid keeps acne away, then you don't necessarily need the BP. the BP can be any drug store brand that you like. I have yet to find a drug store salycillic acid.

apparently clear days ahead oil-free salicylic acid acne treatment is a reasonable one to try. I haven't used it, so I can't say.

Good luck! I am in my early 40's and still battling acne. Have been since I was 9 or 10. If I don't use my salycillic acid, I start to notice congested pores and breakouts.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Wayne Goss has some videos on youtube where he talks about acne. He used similar products in the past, and continues to use them to maintain clear skin.
    mrsf1sh and dededi like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bullet tooth View Post
    Hi again!
    For those of you who (still?) get breakouts, what are your best techniques and products for controlling your acne? I am sick of plucking grey hairs, counting new wrinkles every time I look in the mirror, AND battling zits! My body won't decide if it's middle aged or teen aged, and I am hecka sick of it!
    HELP!
    Most affordable suggestions are most helpful I am pathologically cheap.
    I still get the odd one if I eat too much chocolate and my pathologically cheap solution is 4 drops of Optima Tea Tree oil in a warm mug of water, soak a clean facecloth in the solution, squeeze a little but try to keep as much moisture in it as possible, place it on your face for a little while, remove & tissue dry. Then with a cotton bud apply a small amount of Optima Tea Tree antiseptic cream to the offending zit - it normally reduces/disappears overnight. I can buy Optima in Holland & Barrett here in the UK.

Or if you want to go upmarket, you may want to take a look at this http://www.monsiaskincare.com/ca/sho...nt-system.html
    I pointed my daughter to it only because I use this product line and it has been great for my skin.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I believe tea tree oil needs to be a concentration of at least 5% to be effectively antiseptic. Maybe apply it by dabbing the oil right on the acne spot instead of diluting it?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    R

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

I recently asked my dr about my hormonal acne, and was prescribed benzaclin. 5% benzoyl peroxide and an antibiotic. It was taken about 6 weeks of using it at night to finally see some results. I started a consistent morning and night routine of products. Am cleanse with cetaphil and moisturize with cetaphil non cosmegenic spf 15. Night wet face and light wash with gentle face wash (I have a few different ones in my stock pile) just to take a bit of make up off. Then remove rest of make up from pores with garnier micellar water. Cetaphil cleanser to finish. Pat dry and apply thin layer of benza clin. The peroxide can be very drying so I lighltly pat on some lotion once it has dried on.
    I no longer have black/white heads on my chin and nose. Cystic acne has stopped forming. It is covered by our health plan, so no oop and I earn some optimum points
    downside is your face will bleach fabric. Buy white sheets!
    anisa, ROMEO and bullet tooth like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm gonna look further into that and see what my doctor says!

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsf1sh View Post
    I recently asked my dr about my hormonal acne, and was prescribed benzaclin. 5% benzoyl peroxide and an antibiotic. It was taken about 6 weeks of using it at night to finally see some results. I started a consistent morning and night routine of products. Am cleanse with cetaphil and moisturize with cetaphil non cosmegenic spf 15. Night wet face and light wash with gentle face wash (I have a few different ones in my stock pile) just to take a bit of make up off. Then remove rest of make up from pores with garnier micellar water. Cetaphil cleanser to finish. Pat dry and apply thin layer of benza clin. The peroxide can be very drying so I lighltly pat on some lotion once it has dried on.
    I no longer have black/white heads on my chin and nose. Cystic acne has stopped forming. It is covered by our health plan, so no oop and I earn some optimum points
    downside is your face will bleach fabric. Buy white sheets!
    mrsf1sh likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    I believe tea tree oil needs to be a concentration of at least 5% to be effectively antiseptic. Maybe apply it by dabbing the oil right on the acne spot instead of diluting it?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Anisa you are correct, it works better your suggested way. Thank you.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I personally suggest you Supatret 0.04% gel is the best gel to healing acne and its also get rid of wrinkles, blackheads & whiteheads.this gel helps the skin to be clean and smooth also.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I stopped drinking milk and that really helped with my acne.

As cliche as this may sound, I found that eating better and exercising regularly has also helped tremendously for me.

I believe refined sugar causes inflammation, so I've cut that crap out and now I stick to fruits for my sweets.
    dededi likes this.

Thread Information