User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Walmart Canada to stop accepting Visa as form of payment

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Walmart Canada is going to stop accepting Visa as a form of payment, beginning in July in Thunder Bay.Name:  walmartandvisa.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  49.4 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Wow. Costco changes to master card and now walmart won't accept visa? Im going to change my points creditcard again... smh.
    Last edited by Addictedtodeals; Sat, Jun 11th, 2016 at 11:47 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They are sure desperate to get people to use their Walmart Mastercard.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

No Frills doesn't allow VISA and Iwas given the same explanation about high fees.
    Shwa Girl and Rena13 like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

wow, that will hurt VISA, didn't realize their fees were higher.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

1) no more rain cheques
    2) pay your bags
    3) no Visa

well , what'S next with them , refilling milk bottles ?
    Last edited by Mia001; Sat, Jun 11th, 2016 at 03:20 PM.
    Ciel likes this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Starting Next month, Walmart Canada will be phasing out the acceptance of Visa credit cards.

It will begin with the three stores in Thunder Bay, ON and gradually spread to the rest of Canada.

They will continue to accept Mastercard, American Express, Interac Debit, Cash... and Discover (?!).

See story here: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/06..._10416642.html

Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Jun 11th, 2016 at 05:23 PM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

doesn't this seem odd? I mean Visa and MC are the 2 most widely used/accepted cards aren't they? Wondering if this is because WM is based in the States....if anything MOST stores give you grief over Amex as opposed to Visa.
    abbasgirl, Ciel, Lyssia510 and 1 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The story says this is only in Canada, so I doubt it has anything to do with the US.
    walkonby likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I always thought Amex fees were the highest of all for merchants. Walmart is too far away for me anyway but I"m not signing up for a Mastercard just so I can use it at Walmart on the 3 or 4 times a year that I go there. Will probably just reduce the amount of times I go
    walkonby likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I always thought Amex fees were the highest of all for merchants. Walmart is too far away for me anyway but I"m not signing up for a Mastercard just so I can use it at Walmart on the 3 or 4 times a year that I go there. Will probably just reduce the amount of times I go
    The thing with Amex is, fees are negotiated with the retailers, so the retailers know up front what they are paying when someone uses their card. It's different with Visa and Mastercard. Those with the loyalty cards are the ones that cost the retailers the most.
    Ciel and torontogal12 like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Plan and simple they have lost any of my business when I shop for work. Our company cards are Visa so now Sobeys, Metro & RCSS will get this business which is usually a higher amount then my day to day shopping as we are feeding a large number of people and we try to make sure to offer an assortment.
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

While I don't disparage anyone's initial objection, I think Walmart is in a pretty unique position.

People I know with whom I've shared this news have had the similar knee-jerk reaction: "well, I guess I'll just stop shopping there" hasnt considered the options... where else are you going to shop?

There isn't another discount department store that operates on the level that Walmart does... neither in mass, selection, nor price (for the most part) that also offers as much "one-stop shopping" options as Walmart. We just don't have another choice. No Zellers, no Kmart, no Target... and Giant Tiger really doesnt compare nor compete on the same level.

MANY families rely on Walmart to clothe their families, if nothing more... the addition of groceries, and then Christmas shopping... I dont think anyone can easily swear-off Walmart entirely. I know it's technically possible, but if you're already an avid shopper, it won't be easy to start paying more and buying less elsewhere.

And while some banks offer both MC and Visa, Visa is the default 'free' card of choice for most banks in Canada and their customers. So for those people with tight financial binds that maybe only have one credit card, and it happens to be a Visa card because it's what their bank provides.... I can bet that in the weeks and months to come, everyone who offers to pay with said Visa at Walmart will be offered a Walmart Mastercard under the pressure that their Visa will soon no longer work. -- much like Costco did with Amex-paying customers in the months before they jumped ship from Amex. - And I'd be willing to double-down on that bet that Walmart customers will be 'automatically approved' for the WM-MC simply because they already have a credit card... even if it's a small spending limit to begin with.

As for me, I have no reason to stop my usual shopping there (which is limited as it is). This choice to drop Visa doesn't affect me in the least. When I go there I pay with either cash or debit anyway, so it's really no difference to me, and I'm curious how many more are like me in that regard. And if it happens that I'm making a larger purchase, I have a Mastercard that I'll use just the same.

While it might be OK for one's instinct to say "I'll shop elsewhere" ... the harsh reality is "where else will you shop?" -- and if Walmart gives you good enough reason with auto-approval of THEIR card, why would anyone really change their habits?
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Jun 12th, 2016 at 04:10 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    No Frills doesn't allow VISA and Iwas given the same explanation about high fees.
    I think the real reason for No Frills, is that they prefer customers to use PC Financial mastercard.
    I think the real reason for Walmart, is that they prefer customers to use the Walmart mastercard.

Walmart is in competition with Amazon for shoppers $$, especially in the US.
    Walmart share price first quarter did not meet expectations, in the US.

It's too bad this news comes as they introduce the 5 cent bag fee.
    It's too bad this news comes as they stop Canada wide price matching.
    Ciel, walkonby and torontogal12 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Visa said it gave Walmart one of the lowest rates in Canada http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/walm...visa-1.3630956
    And remember that Walmart has its own Mastercard and its probably in their interest to promote it this way. There is a law that says stores who accept Visa cannot discriminate which cards they accept. So if they take a non-points Visa card with a 3% merchant fee, they also MUST take a points Visa card with a 6% merchant fee. That's the law so maybe there needs to be a change there.

I personally think a discount for using cash or Interac is the best way
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Jun 12th, 2016 at 04:45 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information