User Tag List

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast
Like Tree1797Likes

Thread: July 2016 Frugal Chatter - all welcome

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

@jasperandchar thank you for posting the august thread wishing you good hollidays!!!
    Last edited by cath007; Fri, Jul 29th, 2016 at 08:15 PM.
    Angela273 likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

@Natalka :Gorgeous picture Happy anniversarry to you and your husband
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Thanks so much, cath - and everyone - for your wishes.

Some had questions, so I'll answer a bit.
    Our ceremony was in Ukrainian only, but there were booklets with translation in English for people to follow.
    The video just shows snippets of the more important parts; the ceremony was about a half hour.

The wreaths put on our heads are made of myrtle - symbolic of love, purity, and fertility. The women of the immediate family get together a day or so earlier and make them. (When a Ukr. woman starts dating seriously, most Ukr. moms start growing a myrtle plant, just in case a wedding comes!)
    It's called The Crowning - as the bride and groom are king and queen for the day - but in symbolism, symbols of the crowns we will receive in heaven. The solo sung at that point explains that we are crowned with glory and honour - and it was my BIL singing it. In some churches, they use actual crowns, but we preferred to do the more symbolic live myrtle crowns - and I still have them!

The part near the end where we knelt at the iconostasis and the priest put the white cloth on my head - it was for a special blessing of the bride.

At the end, everyone sang a traditional song to wish us many happy years together - that's sung at most special occasions for Ukrainians.

And as to why almost everything is sung - St. Augustine said that singing is praying twice, and our tradition takes that to heart. And, yes, all without musical accompaniment, voices only.
    Angela273, cath007 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Ashley - August's flower is gladiola- there are so many colours of glads that would look lovely with the burgundy.

How about "Music Through Your Life," as a theme? Does he like music?

Pinterest might have a lot of ideas.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Beautiful wedding cake!
    Angela273, cath007 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Andit, I am sorry to hear how things are progressing for your mum. PLEASE take care of yourself in this process. I know hard that is. I am sure you have backups for the "kids " - but take advantage of some backup for yourself. A hard time lies ahead.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Beautiful wedding cake!
    They are bread! Traditional Ukrainian wedding breads called korovai, decorated with shapes like doves, pinecones, etc. that have different meanings. In this case, the breads were ornamental.
    We had a variety of cheesecakes and dainties for dessert; we gave out wrapped fruitcake during presentations.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So sorry to those having health problems!

Last day in London-some roads are closed to traffic for a family bike ride , live bands to cheer them on etc -lovely to watch! TO here we come.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Sat, Jul 30th, 2016 at 07:47 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

My dad just called and informed me that he is bringing ripe gooseberries with him. He wants us to make gooseberry jam. Two problems: 1, I have never eaten gooseberries and 2, I have never made jam. It's our twins' first birthday tomorrow. I'd rather bake with them or something. Gah. Any suggestions? I will only have 2 days max with them visiting before I have the 3 new daycare boys.

edit: They just bought the house last year and didn't do anything with the fruit. After picking it this morning they realized that they are red currants. Have encouraged my dad to give them to his MIL, she does canning.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sat, Jul 30th, 2016 at 05:04 PM.
    avoncallingu and SassyAshley like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    My dad just called and informed me that he is bringing ripe gooseberries with him. He wants us to make gooseberry jam. Two problems: 1, I have never eaten gooseberries and 2, I have never made jam. It's our twins' first birthday tomorrow. I'd rather bake with them or something. Gah. Any suggestions? I will only have 2 days max with them visiting before I have the 3 new daycare boys.
    Angela, making jam is very easy actually. Just buy a box of Certo and make sure you have about 4 - 500 ml sized jars with self sealing lids...the Cheez Whiz type jars, and sugar. There are instructions in the box on how to make the jam. I don't think there is instructions for gooseberry but you could always use the directions for blueberry I would think. I always sterilize the jars in the oven for 10 minutes and gently simmer the lids on the stove for 5 minutes while I am making the jam. A batch takes me about 30 minutes from start to finish.

You could also just freeze the gooseberries and make jam when you have more time. I usually make jam from fruit that has been in the freezer. I just thaw the fruit to room temperature first. Very easy.
    Last edited by momof5boys; Sat, Jul 30th, 2016 at 01:45 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-went on a road trip with hubby this morning left house at almost noon -to st.Jacobs missed the farmers market as they close at 3 -cause we had lunch in a lovely restaruant stone crock I dressed up in my new dress ,earring, dress sandals,necklace -it was a 1.45 late lunch date -then I went in and out of small shops
    -in one expensive shop I got a few reduced items 3 hand crème reg 3.99 on for .99
    barefoot venus -mustard bath 5.99 on for 2.99 for me -just read reviews and everyone on the website states it is awesome stuff for aches ,colds ,flu etc -smells like something my mom would have used years ago
    -got ashlyn smelly stickers, the baby to be a homemade burb cloth
    -it was so much fun sometimes we need that in our everyday life -we just got in know so hung a load out cause its gonna rain tonight

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good evening everyone!!! Today I dont feel well ,too much thinking about life,my mother and my brother. I decided to make a trade on my Facebook french couponning group but someone yelled at me and other one was frustrated because the fpcs where already exchanged.....well you loose some you win some.......I person reexchanged my coupons on the site!!! wow.....I think I will just continue to writhe to compagnies.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Adventure on our second leg of our trip...taking grandmas camper to her...an hour into the trip my mom n i came upon bf at the side of the road with a shredded camper tire. Mom had to leave me with him as she had an appointment. We got the tire off. And the trailer proceeded to bend his jack and come crashi g down. I called my uncle...busy. i called a tow truck cuz i had no clue what else to do...the jack wss toast (thank God bf was not hurt.) Cancelled the tow truck when a guy stopped wirh a jack to help us!

Then we spent 4 hours getting the tire replaced...finding a new grease cap and then going back to kaltire because they didnt put everything back on.

We did get extra time with mom ( took her outt for lunch) while the repairs were being done...it all resulted in an arrival time 6 hours later than planned.

Off to calaway park tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Good news and not-so-good news.

Our little foster dog had to go back to the rescue. He was so traumatized that when he slept on the bed with us (as he loudly insisted he should) any movement in the night would startle him and he would bite us. I spent 3 sleepless nights trying to help him be comfortable in various places in the house, but nothing would re-assure him. Sadly, we had to return him with recommendations about where he might find a better match for foster parents. I feel like we helped him to get the proper medicine that he needed to ease his arthritis pain and cure his anal infection with recommendations from our vet that he might not have received had we not taken him in.

Even though he was only here a few days, I miss his being around. I am looking forward to finding another little homeless doggie that we can welcome into our home after we get settled in our new home.

Next Wednesday is moving day and we are ALMOST set. We're down to oddly shaped items or forgotten things that need to find a box into which they will fit.

We are eating strange combinations of meals as we clean out our freezer. Tomorrow it gets emptied, by hook or by crook!

I performed a wedding today - it was INCREDIBLY beautifully decorated with DIY decorations! I have never seen such attention to detail.

Terrific couple who just glowed as they made their vows!

I took a walk over to the pond today to say a little, "Good-bye" to the critters and plants and trees.

DH is taking part in the packing and pushing himself somewhat, but it's making him feel good mentally even though he gets pooped in the process. Six months ago, we were just starting this journey and really not expecting to be smiling as August began!

Thanks to everyone who has taken this journey with us!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good morning everyone!!! I got free blueberries from the bleuetiere of my aunts this morning!!!They are bigs and sweet !!!

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread Information