User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree241Likes

Thread: More groceries made in China

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Elle Lady Sadie View Post
    McCormick Canada - Natural Honey Farms is a BLEND of Canadian AND Chinese Honey. WTF a Blend .....? but the Front of the container says Canada #1 pasteurized liquid. DECEITFUL. Probably 1% Canadian honey blended with 99% FAKE China honey. Story this week about Alberta Honey producers - cut their prices in Half & may lay off employees, because people are buying this Cheap honey from China. This is just not worth the $1.00 you save buying the cheap crap from China. i just assumed because of the Front of the label says " canada #1" that it was Canadian. Again I have learned the importance of reading labels. Never again will I buy this McCormick honey. As consumers we still have some choices what we buy and what we do not.
    I agree I would rather pay an extra $1 or more for the real stuff. Thanks for posting about McCormick Canada - will not buy this.
    Last edited by barbis9; Thu, Aug 18th, 2016 at 11:29 PM.
    Ciel, seylz_gurl, macw1960 and 4 others like this.

=^.^=
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I was so upset by being Deceived by McCormicks Honey today (Front of Jar says Canadian - Back says - blend of Canadian & Chinese Honey ). I was so mad about it, I flushed the honey down the toilet right where it belongs. I sent an email to McCormicks letting them know that they have lost my business, that I will not be buying their China honey again. I have sent a email out to Nixon Honey in Alberta to see if they have any coupons or will consider one in the near future. Nixons honey is 100% Canadian, and they sell it at Independent Grocers, so that works for me. Maybe it costs more but I am not buying fake china crap honey ever again. I mean we can not lose more jobs, food products nor Bees to China. If others feel upset over this, please consider sending out emails to McCormicks or any other company that is diluting down Canadian honey with that fake stuff from China. As long as people continue to purchase it - they will continue to make it. We have a choice, I choose not to lose our Bees. If I hear back from Nixon Honey about a coupon, I will update accordingly. Thanks Friends.
    princessjen, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.

=^.^=
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

so now it is Kellogg's products from China. This is disgusting. I feel exactly like you do questioning the safety of food made in China. Not to mention the jobs we keep losing to China. Sure we want cheaper groceries - but at what cost. I just hate that such a significant amount of our food is being made in China. Our water, air, and soil is not like theirs in China. We still have some rules & regulations in Canada when it comes to overall food safely. Seems like every week there is a recall for some product made in China, usually with some dangerous toxic chemical or faulty parts. As consumers we just have to be way more careful what we are buying. It is not easy to know where many things are being made, But it is worth taking the time to find out. As long as we continue to purchase these items - they will continue manufacturing them. I think it's really important to read labels, to buy local, and to limit the amount of items we import from China.
    Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Our local paper published a story about Kellogg's. On the box it says imported and most people think from the USA....wrong. Kellogg's confirmed to me by email that most of their products are now made in China....yikes!

I also noticed canned fruit made in China and surrounding areas, garlic, cookies, etc.

Very sad sad to see food manufacturing done overseas now and that it is very important to read labels and contact companies to express concern.

I wrote to Kelloggs expressing my concern about food safety overseas and got a generic answer about how safe all of their products are, that they do regular inspections, blah, blah....I don't believe it. If China poisons its own citizens (ex tainted baby milk) for profit how do we know our food is safe?
    barbis9, Ciel, seylz_gurl and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^I'm going to be purchasing honey from local producers from here on in.

I guess Canada No 1 refers to the colour and texture of the honey and not to the country of origin.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Fri, Aug 19th, 2016 at 01:11 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

Quote Originally Posted by Elle Lady Sadie View Post
    McCormick Canada - Natural Honey Farms is a BLEND of Canadian AND Chinese Honey. WTF a Blend .....? but the Front of the container says Canada #1 pasteurized liquid. DECEITFUL. Probably 1% Canadian honey blended with 99% FAKE China honey. Story this week about Alberta Honey producers - cut their prices in Half & may lay off employees, because people are buying this Cheap honey from China. This is just not worth the $1.00 you save buying the cheap crap from China. i just assumed because of the Front of the label says " canada #1" that it was Canadian. Again I have learned the importance of reading labels. Never again will I buy this McCormick honey. As consumers we still have some choices what we buy and what we do not.

85% of Billy Bee honey sourced from Canada, company says

In a statement, McCormick Canada vice president of marketing Andrew Faust said the petition, and its claims, are misguided.
    "We are disappointed with the tone of the petition overall, but particularly the allegation that we've stopped buying Canadian honey," said Faust in the statement.
    "We continue to source the majority of our honey from Canadian beekeepers. Currently, at least 85% of the honey we use is sourced from Canada. In addition, we believe we are the largest buyer of Canadian honey, and growing every year."
    Faust acknowledged they blend Billy Bee honey with "a small portion of Argentinian honey to ensure consistent flavour year over year" and said the Billy Bee Pure Certified Organic Honey is sourced from Brazil because of a lack of certified organic honey in Canada.
    But he maintains 85 per cent of their honey is sourced from Canada.
    Vichos says he has doubts about that claim, based on his conversations with other beekeepers.
    "I know friends right now that have operations out west that don't know where they are going to get money to be able to run their business for the upcoming season. Their warehouses are full of product and they have not moved it," he says.

Did you know that:

'Canada No. 1' on bottle refers to grade, not origin

I buy only local honey or Bee Maid which is made in Manitoba
    Coin Out:
    https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=MZC6CYR

Still paying with PayPal
    http://superpay.me/members/withdraw/list.php?ref=Truckerswife2

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Kelloggs products made in China...oh great. And now some Canadian Honey isn't pure Canadian Honey its mixed with China Honey (& we know that China does not even use real honey so it is probably just sugar). so much of our food is being made in China. They have filthy toxic bacterial infested water, air and dirt. I don't want to consume food thats from China. We need big factories back in Canada again, we need to manufacture the majority of our own foods again. Over the past 3 - 4 years, my shopping habits have really changed. We are buying more & more local made items - it's the only way.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I read that imported fruit and vegetables has pesticides like DDT and arsenic which are still being used worldwide.....I have a new appreciation for my local farmers market now.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

What worries me is when a product states "imported by" with the company name and nothing else. I would like to know where my food is coming from.

I also would like to know whether or not it contains GMO ingredients.

Why are companies fighting to withhold this information?
    I've noticed some store brands and name brand packaging indicating items were packed in Canada or imported. But no source information of where the original raw or processed stuff came from.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    ^I'm going to be purchasing honey from local producers from here on in.

I guess Canada No 1 refers to the colour and texture of the honey and not to the country of origin.
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/lab...7941975?chap=8

A grade declaration on a product for which a grade standard is prescribed cannot be used unless the honey establishment is registered with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
    Canadian Honey or repackaged and graded Imported Honey:

• Canada No. 1
    • Canada No. 2
    • Canada No. 3
    • substandard / sous-régulière (see above)

Imported Honey in original containers

• Grade No. 1 / Catégorie No. 1
    • Grade No. 2 / Catégorie No. 2
    • Grade No. 3 / Catégorie No. 3

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I read that imported fruit and vegetables has pesticides like DDT and arsenic which are still being used worldwide.....I have a new appreciation for my local farmers market now.
    DDT is supposedly still used in rice growing countries. When I came across that tidbit in a book I was reading, it made me wonder about the basmati rice that I have been enjoying this summer. Very tasty and fragrant stuff but now I'm worried.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Fish and seafood nearly all of which is contaminated with arsenic and mercury.

Lead is often found in spices, herbs and superfoods from China. Cadmium is frequently found in cacao and coffee products, plus sunflower seed butters.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    DDT is supposedly still used in rice growing countries. When I came across that tidbit in a book I was reading, it made me wonder about the basmati rice that I have been enjoying this summer. Very tasty and fragrant stuff but now I'm worried.
    What book were you reading that said this? I am reading an after cancer care book and it is very enlightening.
    Newfiescreech, macw1960 and ticul like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Thank you all for this good info....................................

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Is it true that honey expires? I noticed at the grocery store there is an expiry date however yesterday at the CNE I was told that it doesn't expire - just crystallizes. Does anyone know?
    Newfiescreech, Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Honey doesn't expire. If it's kept sealed it can keep for years and years. You may need to pop it in a pot of hot water to melt any crystals that form but it's still good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information