• 3 Post By nicolthepickle
  • 1 Post By missmaggs
  • 1 Post By cope
  • 2 Post By goldenkagi

Thread: Maple Leaf Coupons- love hate relationship

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I really love the Maple Leaf/Scheiders coupons we've been having lately. My freezer is stocked with all kinds of (processed) meat. So I'm happy about that. The thing that makes me dislike it, is that I seem to have a hard time using them. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but it has left me quite frustrated many times. Some recent examples with the buy any 3, get Grillems for free:

At No Frills, I bought 6 Mini Sizzlers to get 2 of the Grillems for free. At first they insisted that I would be getting the Mini Sizzlers for free, but after finally talking to the head cashier, they finally let me get the Grillems. But they made it sound like they were doing me a favour, and that I was duping them and Maple Leaf.

At FreshCo, I tried to buy 3 Mini Sizzlers to get 1 Grillems. I get to cash, the cashier reads the coupon, and tells me I have to buy 3 Grillems to get a fourth one for free. I tried to read the coupon and explain to her that it's "Buy any 3 Maple Leaf, Schneiders, etc" and get the Grillems for free. She speaks to the head cashier who says I have to buy 3 Grillems. I got tired so I just apologized and left my groceries.

Almost everytime time, I have to help clarify that I'm buying *these three* to get the Grillems for free. (before it was the Prime Stuffed chicken or Ready Crisp bacon) Most of the time they just spend a few more seconds to reread the coupon and then they punch it in. So then I tried to email Schneiders. I asked if perhaps their company could send a letter to stores (or their companies) explaining the coupon, or have their reps (who go to the stores to stick the coupons on anyway, right?) explain or give letters, or I dunno, something. They then reply that the info on the coupons was misprinted, that it should have been the 350g, not 300g Grillems. They didn't even address the fact that the stores were misunderstanding the coupon. If I was wrong, they should have just told me, "hey, sorry you but you misunderstood the coupon and *explaination*".

So I dunno, they're really great coupons but I find it hard to use them. Has anyone else had trouble, or is it just me?
    This thread is currently associated with: FreshCo, No Frills
    Thumpersmom and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    132 (100%)

I completely understand what you are saying and that is why I am staying away from that coupon. I dislike having to explain the coupon to the cashier especially when there are other customers behind waiting and rolling their eyes.
    Thumpersmom and ROMEO like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I used mine at Sobeys and no problem. But our Sobeys here has super service.
    Bargain Seeker, ROMEO and dededi like this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I sure miss those MapleLeaf coupon booklets from earlier this year - My Bacon stockpile is looking a little sad now

I ran into the same issues with the MapleLeaf B3G1 Ready Crisp or Stuff Chicken coupons. I found that the only stores I was actually able to effortlessly use them at were Sobey's and Walmart. Though, on my first attempt at Walmart I did get the "double couponing" comment from one of the cashiers and quickly told her to call her CSM as double couponing is using two coupons on the same product. I was buying 4 items and using a separate and distinct coupon on each. The good news is that the CSM agreed with me and cleared up the confusion very quickly and I didn't have any issues going forward. I am however staying away from this new round of coupons (mostly because we don't really eat hotdogs).

I will say that my Walmart is EXCELLENT. The Cashiers are fantastic and if you have any issues you just ask them to call a CSM and they're more than happy to do it. The CSM's appear to be properly trained so if they deny a coupon (which very rarely happens to me) there is a good reason for it so I'm fine with it and I move on with the rest of my items. I haven't had an issue with coupons at my local Walmart in a very long time and I have to say I see more and more people using flyer apps for price matching and coupons so it seems to be gaining momentum. Just don't go on a Sunday evening - very short staffed.
    dededi likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Bargain Seeker, I know all about that eye rolling. I just pretend I don't see them, haha.

nicol, I agree, I had no issues when I use my coupons at Sobeys too.

missmaggs, the CSM I had at Walmart would not let me use the B3G1 on the products with the other $2.50 off coupons. She said I could use one or the other, even though I explained same as what you mentioned, I was buying 4 products and using 1 coupon on each one. I ended up using the $ off coupons, the bacon was still a good deal after PM and coupons.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenkagi View Post
    I really love the Maple Leaf/Scheiders coupons we've been having lately. My freezer is stocked with all kinds of (processed) meat. So I'm happy about that. The thing that makes me dislike it, is that I seem to have a hard time using them. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but it has left me quite frustrated many times. Some recent examples with the buy any 3, get Grillems for free:

At No Frills, I bought 6 Mini Sizzlers to get 2 of the Grillems for free. At first they insisted that I would be getting the Mini Sizzlers for free, but after finally talking to the head cashier, they finally let me get the Grillems. But they made it sound like they were doing me a favour, and that I was duping them and Maple Leaf.

At FreshCo, I tried to buy 3 Mini Sizzlers to get 1 Grillems. I get to cash, the cashier reads the coupon, and tells me I have to buy 3 Grillems to get a fourth one for free. I tried to read the coupon and explain to her that it's "Buy any 3 Maple Leaf, Schneiders, etc" and get the Grillems for free. She speaks to the head cashier who says I have to buy 3 Grillems. I got tired so I just apologized and left my groceries.

Almost everytime time, I have to help clarify that I'm buying *these three* to get the Grillems for free. (before it was the Prime Stuffed chicken or Ready Crisp bacon) Most of the time they just spend a few more seconds to reread the coupon and then they punch it in. So then I tried to email Schneiders. I asked if perhaps their company could send a letter to stores (or their companies) explaining the coupon, or have their reps (who go to the stores to stick the coupons on anyway, right?) explain or give letters, or I dunno, something. They then reply that the info on the coupons was misprinted, that it should have been the 350g, not 300g Grillems. They didn't even address the fact that the stores were misunderstanding the coupon. If I was wrong, they should have just told me, "hey, sorry you but you misunderstood the coupon and *explaination*".

So I dunno, they're really great coupons but I find it hard to use them. Has anyone else had trouble, or is it just me?

The same thing happened to me at Food Basics!! The cashier was super rude about it too. When my boyfriend mentioned there was a coupon, she glanced at it and snared "Did you read the coupon? You need to buy 3". To which my boyfriend calmly explained that it stated any Maple Leaf product (we had 3 pies). She argued with us and eventually she then put her glasses on, read the coupon and gave us the Grillems. Super frustrating! She didn't even read the coupon!
    It was my first time using the coupon and probably my last. Doesn't seem like worth the headache.
    Last edited by cope; Wed, Aug 31st, 2016 at 03:23 PM.
    Thumpersmom likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Cope, I wish they would make the coupon easier to understand too, because I think what got my cashiers was the "Buy any 3, get me free." then "Qualifying products" so I guess it confuses them. And sometimes, stubborn cashiers don't want to read the coupon at all! You're right, sometimes it's not worth the the time and hassle to use the coupon.
    Thumpersmom and cope like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wish they would make the coupon easier to understand
    Honestly, I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. I havent even seen the coupon, but if it says "ANY THREE MAPLE LEAF PRODUCT" and Get "GRILLEMS FREE" then that's what it says... I understood it, and I dont even have the damn thing.

It's simple grammar. Not sure what's so confusing if English is your first language anyway.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

It says: Get Me FREE* with the purchase of any 3 Maple Leaf, Schneiders, etc Qualifying products: 1 Schneiders Chicken Smoked Sausage 300g OR 1 Schneiders Grillems Sausage 300g

The cashiers and supervisors, they read that and tell me that I have to buy 3 Grillems because it says the Grillems are qualifying products. I think that's the portion that confuses them. I tell them it's ANY THREE Maple Leaf, but they're like, no, the coupon says Grillems are the qualifying products. Emailing Schneiders was kinda useless, they just told me the coupon was misprinted.

Uhm, thanks? I wasn't born in Canada but English is my first language. I had no problems with it, but as I said, some cashiers did not understand it.

ETA: I just reread and realized that it was probably was a "your" in general, not a "your" directed to me. I apologize for the snarky reply. Sorry!
    Last edited by goldenkagi; Sat, Sep 3rd, 2016 at 11:18 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's correct... the 'your' was more directed at the cashiers who are the ones "mis-interpreting" what is written in plain English... the 'your' wasnt directed at you at all. -- No worries.

Thread Information