User Tag List

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree2022Likes

Thread: September 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread - ALL Welcome!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am a bit ticked-DD texted from school-they were saying she failed to return a text book last June and wouldn't issue her new ones until we paid $96. I phoned and told them we did return it and in fact we had received our $50 text book deposit back at the end of last year, which seemed surprising to them. Anyway the business manager took my word for it and said she would write a note so DD could get her new text books-interesting how they scan them out at the start of the year and then at the end of the year they just leave them on a rack outside the final exam-which means you have no receipt or proof that you returned it, if it goes missing enroute to the library. I think next year we will personally hand them in and get a receipt to ensure this does not happen again and they withhold her marks or some such nonsense. Obviously their check in system has some glitches. End of rant! Anyway I saved myself $96 by refusing to pay for something we had not lost.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    I am a bit ticked-DD texted from school-they were saying she failed to return a text book last June and wouldn't issue her new ones until we paid $96. I phoned and told them we did return it and in fact we had received our $50 text book deposit back at the end of last year, which seemed surprising to them. Anyway the business manager took my word for it and said she would write a note so DD could get her new text books-interesting how they scan them out at the start of the year and then at the end of the year they just leave them on a rack outside the final exam-which means you have no receipt or proof that you returned it, if it goes missing enroute to the library. I think next year we will personally hand them in and get a receipt to ensure this does not happen again and they withhold her marks or some such nonsense. Obviously their check in system has some glitches. End of rant! Anyway I saved myself $96 by refusing to pay for something we had not lost.
    I feel your pain Lizzie, it has been a huge bone of contention with me that books are just left out when returned, we had to buy our textbooks and were then refunded a fraction of what we paid for them at the end of the year. My youngest daughter is 27 and it was an issue when she was in high school. Picking up textbooks from the lost and found and turning them in at year end can be lucrative for dishonest students, there has to be a better system. Our public high school has stopped charging for textbooks as of this year and they are included in the school fees. Just when my last of four graduated last year!!!Bought textbooks yesterday for two of mine in college...you don't even want to know what that cost me....
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Wed, Sep 7th, 2016 at 02:23 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    I feel your pain Lizzie, it has been a huge bone of contention with me that books are just left out when returned, we had to buy our textbooks and were then refunded a fraction of what we paid for them at the end of the year. My youngest daughter is 27 and it was an issue when she was in high school. Picking up textbooks from the lost and found and turning them in at year end can be lucrative for dishonest students, there has to be a better system. Our public high school has stopped charging for textbooks as of this year and they are included in the school fees. Just when my last of four graduated last year!!!Bought textbooks yesterday for two of mine in college...you don't even want to know what that cost me....
    Yes they do not have a good system in place! I received the call at the end of the year saying the same thing and my DS said he put it on the shelf like everyone else did!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yes TG-I think I am in for sticker shock next year!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Bought textbooks yesterday for two of mine in college...you don't even want to know what that cost me....
    You don't want to know how often they're used.

I have several where the professor used one chapter for the entire year or even just a few pages. Then they release a new edition the next year so you can't sell them. And of course, you always find out after the return period, which is the first month of class.

It's also illegal to photocopy the entire textbook and return it, or so I hear... Another alternative is to purchase on Amazon where they may be cheaper, or share with a roommate.
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hi, Natalka! Sounds like good buys for your DH! My DH is the same lately- wears the same shirts and shorts over and over. It was like pulling teeth to get him to buy "dress-up" clothes for his sister's wedding. Now we are going to another wedding next week and he is literally figuring how many hours he has to wear a shirt and tie. I told him we could slip back to the hotel between service and dinner so he can take a break.
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    You don't want to know how often they're used.

I have several where the professor used one chapter for the entire year or even just a few pages. Then they release a new edition the next year so you can't sell them. And of course, you always find out after the return period, which is the first month of class.

It's also illegal to photocopy the entire textbook and return it, or so I hear... Another alternative is to purchase on Amazon where they may be cheaper, or share with a roommate.
    And often the new edition has only minor changes, this is my fourth go around with college textbooks and i am a little wiser now, at least the bookstore price matched Amazon, I think the college/university book stores are feeling the pinch of price checking online and people by passing them. It is even more frustrating when a book is purchased and then the professor tells them not to buy it because it won't be used.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

And often the new edition has only minor changes, this is my fourth go around with college textbooks and i am a little wiser now, at least the bookstore price matched Amazon, I think the college/university book stores are feeling the pinch of price checking online and people by passing them. It is even more frustrating when a book is purchased and then the professor tells them not to buy it because it won't be used.
    Yes, I certainly learned many of these things along the way. Some books were hardly used, or the prof used it with my class and then used a completely different text for the next time the course was offered. I was able to purchase a number of textbooks used and sold some of my textbooks. I also lost some of my textbooks in the flood in July.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hi folks!

Well, I called our vet this morning and was told that we should wait at least a month to have Sadie spayed since it's not recommended while they are in heat.

So October is looking like an expensive month- We have to pay a tax instalment, two of our condo fees as I missed Sept. until after the deposits had been made, and now a spaying fee. And I thought we were ahead! Short-sighted thinking. Oh, and we'll get out first month of paying for everything being run from electricity. Oiy! I better find some good grocery deals!
    Having a rest and waiting for a good thunderstorm to help get rid of a migraine.
    Our new doggie has decided she likes to lie between my DH and I on our kick-out loveseat. It's nice to have her close enough to give her ears a little scratch.
    I am always so inspired by all your frugal ways!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Hi, Natalka! Sounds like good buys for your DH! My DH is the same lately- wears the same shirts and shorts over and over. It was like pulling teeth to get him to buy "dress-up" clothes for his sister's wedding. Now we are going to another wedding next week and he is literally figuring how many hours he has to wear a shirt and tie. I told him we could slip back to the hotel between service and dinner so he can take a break.
    Gosh, no problem with my man and suits, or dress clothes - he has a nice big assortment. He does look awesome in a suit and tie, I must say!

However, sometimes I have to just tell him for some occasions - you CAN wear jeans and runners, you don't have to wear dress pants and dress shoes. It's taken over two decades to slowly change him in this regard, to become more casual - it's hard to take the 'old country' out of the man!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Natalka: if you have a lot of zucchini you can shred it and freeze for later use.
    Today was a spendy day as I bought the older teens 16th birthday gift and went to Costco. But it was all stuff I needed, even the big bag of popcorn.
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

thx, Lilo - I think I will have to do that, there are three giants and two regular sized zuccs.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Happy Thursday!

This pic is from my cousin's farm yesterday - double rainbow in that grain cart; hope they have a great harvest!

Hoping everyone has a great day!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

still hot here was 24 degrees when hubby left for work at 6.30 a.m ,I may call the doctor this morning as last night after watching ashlyn (my son asked us to stay for pizza)at 7.30 I froze on the way home well my fever was back up at 4.00 a.m this morning hard to swallow I better get checked out as baby grandson is due to come in 5 days
    -I saw my hubby in action on his school bus yesterday from the front door of my son's house - a little boy was crying on the bus (jk ) and he didn't leave til he was calm he let his mother come back on bus to talk to him -ahhh he is so good with the little ones
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning All,
    Lilo I feel the $$$ pain, we are going out shopping tonight after work. We really don't need a lot but it is a lot of that stuff we do not buy often that never goes on sale that we just need to stock up on. We need to go to Costco as we are out of allergy meds and have noticed I still need them for my feet and legs, I did not take any on the weekend and paid for it. With that being said it is starting to heal which makes me happy as the doctor has me worried, you only use a small dot of this cream on each bite and he gave me 2 tubes, I am still on the first one and it does not even look used.

Well we are out tonight I will also go to Food Basics and Metro. I will gab some fruit and veg at Food Basics since I need to go in for Yogurt anyways and Metro has Almond Milk on Sale.

I checked the grocery budget last night and we are still in good shape but I am still hoping to not spend too much tonight, I would like to keep rolling over unspent dollars so hopefully come Christmas we can cover everything without having to re jig the budget as we will not find out until the December where Mom stands with her job.

Have a great day everyone.
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information