User Tag List

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree2022Likes

Thread: September 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread - ALL Welcome!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Ask for a rain cheque they are normally good for 1 month and hopefully it works out to your 10% Tuesday day
    My Sobeys location has told me more than once that their rain checks don't expire anymore, contrary to what is written on the rain check paper. I just have to make sure that I don't forget to get the rain check. My location always wants to give you rain checks after you pay for your purchase and then I often forget.
    jasperandchar and SassyAshley like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -hubby loves his bus run -yeah for that as last year his run was awfull(not the kids but the traffic) and he has been doing it 7 years now
    -I stained the gate this morning early before the heat -my stomach feels crappy and still a sore throat-a small bug I presume so hubby went and bought me tim hortons chicken soup -all my freezer stock was used up -when better will have to make more soup
    -now just relaxing inside today
    Do you have the humidity today? I am in my air conditioned office and have felt the "heat" in my chest all day long. Can't wait to get home. I plan on ripping the basement apart to clean it and re-paint and set up as a relaxing spot for anyone and everyone. Thinking the basement will be the best place to be tonight!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

TG-nice you have 15% off Tuesday at IGA! I went out and got the cheese and toilet paper that Angela referred to at 10% Tuesday-so I spent a total of $51( after 10% off) at Safeway and got 152 airmiles plus a coupon for $1.59 off gas so not a bad shop! Took DD to physio and then dropped her for her first day back to school-which was 1-3 p.m. for the Grade 12's-I guess they start them out easy! DH went back to work today too-I think I was ready to get our family back into a routine.

DH is headed over to 7-11 to buy a new cell phone and phone card for pay as you go. We only use this shared phone occasionally and pay $10 per month and have been accumulating a credit that we won't ever use. Anyway he says this will be cheaper and we can keep our old phone number so we will see how it goes-he tried to order me a smart phone but I told him I want a dumb phone-i.e. something very basic!! So lets see what he comes home with.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Tue, Sep 6th, 2016 at 04:29 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Yes we are lucky to get 15% off at IGA here on the first Tuesday of every month. In order to get the 15% your purchase has to be over 50.00 which is never hard to do!! You did have a a great shop!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-I am feeling better now -mind you didn't eat much today -still have a mild sore throat but my stomach feels fine
    -just hung another load out as have to babysit on Wednesday -hubby has to drop me off at 6.45 a.m
    Natalka, ROMEO, Angela273 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    It is going to be a frugal week, just going to IGA for 15% Tuesday to get the air miles on the Purex toilet paper. We have zucchini, cucumbers, fall lettuce, carrots and acorn squash, dill and chard ready to eat in my raised beds and I was gifted a huge bag of potatoes from a friend's garden, so we are set for at least a week. I need to empty my freezers into coolers and defrost before hunting season starts, we did marinated goose breasts on the barbecue last night and they were delicious. Hoping the rest of the month is frugal and we can keep eating from the garden and freezer!!
    Oh yes hunting season, that's all I've been hearing for the last month and there's still weeks to come....
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

glad you are better, coupon girl - I, too, had a tummy bug for like 24 hours - sipped on chamomile tea yesterday and by last evening I was better and could eat.

Son brought over a bag o' zucchinis - from a coworker's sister's farm garden.
    Uh, I've never grown them, only cooked with zucchini once in a stir fry.

I'm going to have to search for some recipes, now - sweet and savoury.

Hope everyone is having a great week, and that the kids are enjoying the start of school.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    glad you are better, coupon girl - I, too, had a tummy bug for like 24 hours - sipped on chamomile tea yesterday and by last evening I was better and could eat.

Son brought over a bag o' zucchinis - from a coworker's sister's farm garden.
    Uh, I've never grown them, only cooked with zucchini once in a stir fry.

I'm going to have to search for some recipes, now - sweet and savoury.

Hope everyone is having a great week, and that the kids are enjoying the start of school.
    I prefer the smaller zucchinis because then they don't have a tough skin. I sometimes slice an entire zucchini with a vegetable peeler, then lightly cook it with garlic and cherry tomatoes.

This is the newest zucchini recipe that I have tried. It is sugar free, fat free, and was a big hit.

Banana Zucchini Muffins
    1/2C unsweetened apple sauce
    1C grated zucchini, do not drain
    1 1/2C bananas, mashed (about 3)
    1 egg
    1 1/2tsp baking powder
    1 1/2tsp baking soda
    1 1/2C whole wheat flour
    1C oatmeal
    1/2tsp salt
    Chocolate chips, optional

Oven 350F
    Makes 1 dozen regular sized muffins.

Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
    Mix banana & zucchini. Add egg & apple sauce. Combine well.
    In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and oatmeal.
    Add dry ingredients to wet, mix until combined. Add chocolate chips.
    Bake 25-30min.
    Let rest for 5 min, and then finish cooking on a rack.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I just found this recipe that I might check out.

CARROT & ZUCCHINI MINI QUICHES

Author: LAURA FUENTES

Serves: 24 MINI QUICHES

INGREDIENTS

• 2 teaspoons coconut oil* (or any oil)
    • ¾ cup packed grated green zucchini
    • ¾ cup packed grated carrots
    • 2 green shallots (onions), green ends trimmed off, white finely chopped (optional)
    • 4 large eggs, whisked
    • ⅓ cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese*
    • ¼ teaspoon salt

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and grease a mini cupcake pan.
    2. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini, carrots, and shallots, and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes until the veggies begin to soften. Remove from heat and set aside to cool down to room temperature.
    3. In a large bowl, combine veggies, eggs, grated cheese, and salt. Spoon mixture into mini muffin pan.
    4. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Allow mini quiches to cool in the pan before carefully removing with a small knife or spatula.

Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Thanks SO much, Angela - I will def keep the two smaller ones for cooking.
    I'll for sure make the mini quiches - and I like the idea of the muffins since I have bananas ripening to bake with.

I found this recipe for muffins that I will try, though - husband needs full fat, lots of sugar (he needs to gain weight)

http://www.chef-in-training.com/2015...anana-muffins/

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy hump day! First hockey game of the season is tonight! I don't even have my hockey bag packed!

DS had a friend over for dinner last night and it was a good meal they enjoyed even though I had no plan! Used up salad supplies so need to grab some fresh stuff today.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Thanks SO much, Angela - I will def keep the two smaller ones for cooking.
    I'll for sure make the mini quiches - and I like the idea of the muffins since I have bananas ripening to bake with.

I found this recipe for muffins that I will try, though - husband needs full fat, lots of sugar (he needs to gain weight)

http://www.chef-in-training.com/2015...anana-muffins/
    Natalka if you want a delicious zucchini cupcake recipe this one has been my go to for years. The brown sugar frosting is to die for!! your husband will get all his calories on these ones!! The recipe you are trying looks really god though,pinned it!
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/zucchini-cupcakes
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Wed, Sep 7th, 2016 at 09:20 AM.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

We spent a bit buying a new shower head last week. DH just installed it this weekend. We wanted to get one for LO's bath since it would cut down on filling the tub, but now LO won't be able to go "swimming" in her bathwater anymore. Luckily, I was able to get it during the 8% ebates rebates sale the other week. We tested it and I'm surprised DH is okay with the low flow water head. At least, I think he didn't remove the water restrictor....

We'll have to replace the other shower head now. We don't use it, but when we do, only one person can have a ten minute shower and it leaves no hot water in the house. I'm regretting buying a GC at Fortinos since the rewards are doubled for buying online without one.

I'm happy that we'll be saving more water in our showers. That just leaves the washing machine and the upstairs bathroom faucets.

I'm wondering if we'll need a dishwasher for a family of four. We currently have one that came with the house, but it's so gross inside that I haven't cleaned it and haven't used it since we bought it. It looks as though it's leaking steam or maybe kept open the way the wood has cracked and warped at the top.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Afternoon everyone,

Supper tonight is Prime stuffed chicken breasts with leftovers mashed potatoes/gravy and fresh corn on the cob.

Wishing everyone a great day/evening.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

@thriftygranny - that recipe looks awesome, thank you!

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information