User Tag List

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree2022Likes

Thread: September 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread - ALL Welcome!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Almost $1000 later, we have two new solid wood beds and mattresses for LO and the new baby. These should last them until they leave the house. That doesn't even count new bedding and mattress covers. My sister suggested using bath sheets instead of a mattress pad, but LO shifts around so much that it gets bunchy each night. I'll be ordering the mattress cover and pads using Swagbucks, so it shouldn't be out of pocket, then new sheets with the Bay also using Swagbucks and HBC points so it will be more expensive on paper, but less out of pocket.

I tried kijiji but nothing suitable turned up and delivery would have been an issue even if we did find something.

Our car windshield has another two chips out of it from construction and flying rocks this fall, so I've been looking for a new windshield supplier. I think the one I found is $100 less than the one we used last year and he comes to your home. That will be a bonus and we can also use our CC and collect rewards.

Looking forward to lunch where I made fries using up our leftover potatoes from an earlier pregnancy craving. 12 - 14 more weeks to go until new baby. Eeek!!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I think we spent $3000 as a family on my sister's wedding. It was a financial relief when it was over.

We received new to us couches for free and bought a inexpensive dresser secondhand. We will be looking for beds too. We have functional ones right now, and are awaiting deals to upgrade. Since we did so well on the inexpensive furniture so far, we paid a little more and got a dumpster bin rather than making multiple trips to the dump. It allows us to purge a little, while keeping getting rid of the old furniture simple!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yes weddings are expensive-we were able to attend my husbands nephews wedding as part of another trip this summer and we weren't in the wedding party-so lucky for us OOP was just the gift which we would have given anyway. Just popped out to No Frills and I am happy with my $60 shop-some good deals again this week.
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think I'd feel a little better about dropping $1,200 on a wedding if I'd seen the groom more than twice in the last decade. One of those times was at our wedding when he was best man! DH has vowed he will never be a best man again, but I just know that if his brother asked him for his third wedding, he wouldn't say no.

I called Payless, and the store two hours away cheerfully said if I visited a store in my area, they would sort things out. The store in my area said they would have to call the other store to verify my story and see what they could do. It sounds like a long process for a possibility for a change in outcome. The girl who picked up the phone said to call to speak to the manager tomorrow and they would consider the situation.
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I just finished using my immersion blender on my roasted veggie sauce, I only used a touch of salt and pepper on it. It tastes nicely roasted. We'll have to see what Dh and our son think of the sauce. It was easy to make, which I like.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have amazing news..............................................

Mom's work decided not to wait until December to fill the position and as of around 5 pm today she officially full time. She did a happy dance at work I did a happy dance at home.

I have to say the timing is amazing as just yesterday as we were out shopping I was asking her what our plan should be. Should we enjoy the full time she was promised until December and live life (meaning leave the budget as is) or tighten the budget try to spend as little as possible not knowing what will happen come December.

Just the fact she will be getting enough hours to at least cover her own bills will help so much. Not to mention the not knowing from one week to another what next week will bring. There won't be "extra money" but it will make it possible to know we can live within what we make.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

So glad to hear about your mother's good news. She's been waiting so long for reliable full time hours. And you can breathe a little easier now.

I am performing the wedding for my cousin next weekend. That is my gift to them, but even trying to be frugal, it puts a dent in the pocketbook. (Especially since we now live an hour away - which means two nights in a hotel + meals etc.)

I am glad to do it for this fine couple but- gulp!

I am hoping that I drum up a few more weddings now that I have moved.

I am also finding things that I can put on Kijiji because they just don't work in our new home. So hopefully a few more $$ coming in.

Take care, folks!
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Yuk..being wedding a party attendant!! My daughter has been maid of honor 3 times in the last 18 months. What a money sucker that job is.What is funny is she took her event planning course with a specialty in weddings and she said she will never be part of a wedding again. I find weddings are completely over the top, stagetts in Vegas, fly to to Toronto for a Jays game, these people have been watching far too much reality TV. She doesn't even speak to the bride she attended for last year, she flew to Toronto to help her prepare for the week prior and was yelled at all week and bossed around like a slave. It is like it is some sick competition to see who can spend the most money. My husband and I will not help our kids with a lavish wedding, we have made that clear, if they want over the top then do it yourself. I have two married that had intimate close friends and family, 50 people tops and only the people that meant something to them. They were both low stress beautiful days with great memories. OK enough of my wedding ranting!!

Superstore has boneless blade roasts on for 2.98 per pound so I picked up four for stew and pot roasts and cashed in some PC points to cover the cost, felt good leaving the store with 28 pounds of roast for free. Superstore doesn't have the best beef, i like Coop and IGA better for beef but it will be perfect for braising and the price was right!! Just milk and a some fruit for the rest of the week so it will be another frugal grocery shop!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Today has been one of those days where I have been in a crazy amount of physical pain. We went as a family to the dedication of Estevan's Soldier tree. You can find some great pictures of it if you google it. The massive tree was carved with a chainsaw. There are also wooden carved benches with military personnel on them, etc. We donated money towards the project and enjoyed the BBQ lunch that was put on by our local CO-OP.

Our Salvation Army had an extremely rare $10 bag sale, for today only. Bring your own bag and fill it for $10, with few clothing restrictions. I actually found one pair of jeans that fit me well. I also got a t-shirt, jeans, and dress capris that fit me so-so. I also grabbed a sleeper for baby girl to grow into. There was still room in my bag, but Dh wanted to get going. I think that these jeans alone were probably worth the $10. A lot of my clothes are either big on me or getting worn out.

I stopped by my friend/neighbour's place briefly this evening. Today is her birthday. We haven't seen each other in a few weeks due to illness of just busy schedules. Right away she commented about how skinny I am and that I looked great, which was very nice to hear. I am back to my pre-twin pregnancy weight, which is only 5lbs more than what I weighed when I graduated high school over a decade ago. I baked extra chocolate cupcakes for our son's birthday yesterday, so I'm bringing some to my friend for her birthday. She asked me to bring them tomorrow when I hope to have a proper visit.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sun, Sep 11th, 2016 at 12:57 AM.
    Giseledta, Natalka, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

(ugh, so irritating, I typed out a whole long post then when I hit reply, it was right when SC was doing maintenance, so it disappeared!)

I'm in backwards mode, wasn't feeling great yesterday so I napped in the day and evening - so I've been up all night, and very lonely - even the cats have deserted me!

Just finished prepping a bunch of dill for freezing - I take off the fronds, chop them up with salt, and freeze them in small portions. I've really missed having fresh dill over the past few months! I have one bunch left to do, but my hands/arms got sore, so I'll have to do it later.

Found a recipe using zucchini that I can adapt for supper tonight - our son is coming over, so I thought I'd try something new. It's basically a Greek caponata (veggies roasted in tomato and herbs); I'll have to change a few things since I don't have all the ingredients, but it sounds really good.

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday!

Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@Natalka. I haven't slept well tonight, I'm not sure what was keeping me up earlier. I'm currently awake because I just got twin boy back to bed. They are forecasting possible frost Monday night, so I plan on covering my tomatoes, zucchinis, and cucumbers. The rest of the 10 day forecast indicates that my garden will continue to grow, as long as it doesn't get a big frost. I still have most of my gardenin the ground, but I only have so much that I can cover.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sun, Sep 11th, 2016 at 08:07 AM.
    Giseledta, Natalka, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Yesterday was a little busy around here. I woke just before 6 am and realized Mom was awake so I went in to speak to her which lead to both of us getting up and blanching 7 lbs of tomatoes so she can make her Tomato Jam. We did not get through them all before she needed to get ready for work so I completed them. Once that was done I cleaned up the kitchen, just saying tomatoes everywhere.

As the day went on I slowly cleaned up and tidied up around the house. I am also working on 2 crochet blankets, I should really learn to finish one before I start another but I got an idea, saw a pattern and just had to go for it.

Not sure what today will bring yet, laundry is going around and I will go from there.

Have a great day everyone.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Well I didn't want to buy more meat for freezer but with the sale on Lean beef and the crockpot roasts and 200 pc pts per $1 I had to get some. Spent $37 on 2 family beef packs priced at $25 each (pm coupon of $28 and change) 2 crock pot roasts and 3 packages of stayfree pad on for $1.94 less $2 coupons. Received 13,600 pc points!!!

I have 8 burger patties cooking for the kids for lunches the next few days (found wonder buns for $1)
    I made a cookie sheet full of meatballs and they are freezing in the freezer now.
    Taco meat is simmering on the stove for the freezer.
    The roasts are wrapped a zillion times and in freezer.

I have a whole chicken thawing in the fridge. I will cook it tomorrow night for Tuesday nights dinner.

Laundry was on the go early this morning too.

Now a few hours break before DS is on the ice for a game.

Have a wonderful afternoon everyone.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Sun, Sep 11th, 2016 at 12:27 PM.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Not a bad morning so far. I have managed to prep tonight's dinner (Meatloaf, Mashed Potato Bake using up some leftover potatoes in the fridge, and will add some sort of veggie either stir fried veggies or salad), Lunch for the week (Stir Fried Veggies with Teriyaki Sauce over Rice another leftover in the fridge) and tomorrow night's dinner (Portabello Parmesan) just need to cook the pasta either today or tomorrow.

I also Food Saver any and all food that needed to be done, we had Almond and Sausages from Costco which are now in single serving sizes as well as Oats from Bulk Barn (whenever they have oats on sale and a $3 off coupon we buy $10 worth). I also froze all of the leftover sides I made last week that were not eaten.

Last load of laundry is in the dryer now I just have to fold it all.

Have a great day everyone

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I worked on transcriptions yesterday. A bit of a cold so they took me alot longer than normal

Friday was bfs birthday. We tried to go out for a nice supper. Im one to complain very often at a restaurant but he and i both taking back our meals. We ordered baby back ribs with ceasar salad. The salad was underdressed (easily fixable if they had bothered to ask how the food was) the ribs had been over boiled...only browned off on one side so extremely mushy...and the sauce was extremely sparse. To be quite frank they completely turned me off supper. The boys really enjoyed their burgers and onion rings they chose though. We had appys that were good but half of what we ordered they were out of....then we were charged for what we didnt get. They ended up taking our ribs off the bill and refunding the appys we didnt get

Been selling a few things on facebook...movies, exercise bike clothing etc..i managed to get a tub of old u sed pc parts basically given away to another local tech...as well as a couple old towers. I think i made the guys day he was not expecting (to quote him) "a gold mine of old parts" he gave me 5 bucks and im pumped just to have the stuff gone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information