User Tag List

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree2022Likes

Thread: September 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread - ALL Welcome!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's great! You sound like a hard worker. I was only teasing. Thought you'd like this Angela

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by juliemadden View Post
    Any other items worth getting at Costco? I'm getting a gift card. Costco is 4hrs away
    garbage bags
    (I am pretty sure the kitchen ones I bought were $11 for 320...I will have them FOREVER)
    Kirkland brand items (we like the clothing for the kids - it is durable and good price for what you pay)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    And to add to my previous post on DH always getting the short end of the stick, his co-worker asked him to pay for half of a $200 coffeemaker. Well, DH paid for half in cash and the boss gave the co-worker the full amount. The co-worker handed DH a WM GC and said it had about $100 on it, minus about $30 because he bought something. I checked the card at a WM returns desk and it had never been activated, so it had $0 on it. If it were anyone else, I would be inclined to think it an accident and we were given the wrong card, but we've known this person for years and it's just the sort of thing he'd do.

Now he's pocketed an extra $113 and DH has $0.
    I hope your DH learns the word, no.

On other news...I am letting my cleaner go. She cleans Wed. and I am going give her notice on Thursday (I wanted her to have one last clean and a full-two weeks notice). I have a replacement lined up. A fellow FB group mom. She is coming to quote tomorrow. Anyone will be an improvement at this point. The straw that broke the camel's back? I moved my soap dish in the tub to find tons of mildew. She did not move it to clean last time and I felt like she left early.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

got home at 8.15 from going to toronto with son/wife and ashlyn-ahhh ashlyn held him so nice and talked to him "don't cry baby"ahhh so sweet -I wanted a picture with both my grandchildren but ashlyn did not want to -my son-in-law made pasta for supper- a nice visit

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Last night I decided to clean up the budget a little bit to see just where we stood. I had been pretty on top of until the last 2 pays which apparently got away from me some how (I thought I was only one pay behind). But with that being said I was quite impressed with the numbers as they actually where not as bad as I expected. We actually managed to save some money for stuff around the house (although this only happened because I kept the money in my account and did not transfer to the house account where it probably would have been spent). As well the money I take out of my pay for me has accumulated quite nicely which is great as I need some new clothes I am down to only a few tops I can wear to work. So I am happy.

Tonight I will need to check the grocery budget, I do our grocery budget a little differently now because it was getting hard to track. So now I automatically each pay put the money on my credit card which I only use for groceries and then I know exactly where we stand. If we go over or under and can make it work accordingly.

Have a few sales of stuff from around the house which is nice. Found a few more items to post which I may or may not get done tonight since I think my phone is about to die. A couple weeks ago it started randomly restarting itself, I found a fix on the internet which I did and everything seemed fine for a couple of days, then instead of restarting itself it started shutting itself down and won't restart. Last night was the worst it has been last night in 3 hours it restarted at least 10 times I saw and shut itself down 7 times and wouldn't restart, it was taking me on average 10 to 20 minutes to get it restarted. I even tried doing a factory restart and it shut itself off well doing the restart. this has taken my phone back to bare basics and it is still shutting off. Good news is I believe it is still under warranty.

Well better get this day started, have a great day everyone.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Tue, Sep 20th, 2016 at 07:23 AM.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I certainly wish DH was not as free with his money and possessions. I've known him for the past 24 years, so I don't think that will change. What is a bigger concern is his workplace (+ co-workers). His boss is often travelling and in meetings, so he has to handle the entire petty cash for the branch, including the entire warehouse. He's overloaded to the max with his own work and the warehouse guys need water all through the summer and winter months. Every time the cooler is empty, they come to him for cash to pick up water next door. They never get a receipt. We've essentially been paying for water for the entire company, or coffee for the office, because DH cannot spare the time to get it himself. The total amounts to thousands each year and he's been working for this company for a decade. That amounts to a complete retirement fund.

DH used to have other money habits like putting his ex-girlfriends' name on his account. When they broke up, they would empty it and he'd do it again for the next girl, thinking she was different. Thank goodness it was twice, but that's twice too many! One of the reasons why we do not share accounts.

He's tried to find work elsewhere, but has given up. He's been sending out resumes and cover letters for years. Most places want a contract worker for his background. It's hard to believe he can't find work in the GTA, but he would have to upgrade his education (with a 4 year university program) and there is no time for that, leaving at 7 AM and coming back home at 8 PM at night. With traffic now, he wants to take the 407 (a toll highway) that would shave 30 minutes off of his commute, and cost several hundred more each month. The alternative is that we get a second car, which will cost another $3500 in insurance (we live in the highest car insurance rate area in Ontario).

Anyways, my original point was, a $113 loss with this co-worker is only a small drop in the bucket. When I think of DH and money, I visualize a giant bag of cash in the back seat and him speeding down the highway with all the windows open. He considers it part of his job to spend that kind of money and rationalizes it by saying that his pay raises cover the amount lost. I said that the money he's thinking about is before tax, which works out to much less after tax, even less when the commute is over two hours long one way, and will be much less when I am on maternity leave.

There's no easy answer when we've debated about it and gone over all the situations again and again for the past decade. Sometimes, he doesn't even have the time to put in his expenses and there are thousands of dollars in receipts just sitting on his desk. His work is very fast paced and he's expected to put in full hours and free overtime to just under the minimum required for overtime pay. Even some friends have sent him job links and they've come to nothing.

The entire situation has made me feel like a dog chasing its tail. The more energy I put into it, the more we just end up exactly where we were, with no change in the situation. I really don't want to spend what little time we have together arguing about money.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I do need to say thank you to all of you and this forum for all the savings tips, ideas, and support. Without which we'd probably be much further behind. Sometimes it's an uphill battle, but it's nice to have some people cheering you on or lending a helping hand/listening ear when it gets tough. It's extremely frustrating at times.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow, it must be such a frustrating situation for you. You are right though about not changing the way your DH is and fighting about money. It isn't worth it, but I get your angst about your money differences.
    With my husband it is money spent on hobbies that drive me crazy, the fishing and hunting excursions are out of control and very pricey. We have family here next week that are also avid hunters and I am expected to act as camp cook....I have been cooking and freezing non stop so I can be prepared for 7 extra people as well as entertaining the wives that will be hanging with me for the week. Off to Superstore this morning to buy more supplies and was up till 2 am baking muffins and cookies......I am not even going to tally the grocery bill it will just depress me!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had to let go of 3 cleaners. I know the feeling and I'm definitely not picky either
    Re to:
    On other news...I am letting my cleaner go. She cleans Wed. and I am going give her notice on Thursday (I wanted her to have one last clean and a full-two weeks notice). I have a replacement lined up. A fellow FB group mom. She is coming to quote tomorrow. Anyone will be an improvement at this point. The straw that broke the camel's back? I moved my soap dish in the tub to find tons of mildew. She did not move it to clean last time and I felt like she left early.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Maybe I'll do that when I retire. I quite like cleaning tubs and things that obviously sparkle afterwards. I dislike cleaning floors and vacuuming, toilets of course are smelly, but bathrooms really make the biggest difference when they're cleaned properly. Last night, I was happily scrubbing grout on the tiles with a toothbrush (less smelly than Scrubbing Bubbles or Tilex) and the difference motivates me to keep going. Must be the nesting instinct starting to kick in.

Plus, we bought a detachable showerhead for LO and now every shower must have one. Cleaning showers is pretty fun when it's our own. Two nights ago, I scrubbed down our tub and shower. LO was thrilled at how clean it was that she jumped right in for her shower. DH did not have a good time as I heard him slip (but not fall).

A friend of mine with three children hired a cleaner and I'm jealous. I told her to let LO play with her kids and toys and I'll clean her bathtubs in exchange for LO to play with her expensive toys and the cost of lunch.

@Granger: If we lived close, I'd clean your shower for free. :D You'd have to call me right after you've used it as that's when the grout is the most workable.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

my sister-in-law cleans homes and loves it (3 days a week),meanwhile I haven't vacuumed my stairs or upstairs rugs inawhile ,this morning woke up at 4.00 a.m so made a banana loaf and did a load of laundry -hung the load and neighbours gave me 3 clumps of day lilies(saved me a bit of money)so had to dig a lot of rocks out got all tired a sweaty . Today I am now just chilling may read a book -put as few more items on kijiji we will see
    Angela273, Ciel, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lmao. Eww grimy showers is not my cup of tea but if it makes you happy.. The only reason why I had a cleaner is because of my sjogren's. I've had it since I was 6 so cleaning was never my forte. I agree with you that scrubbing bubbles and tilex are strong. Too bad cause I like scrubbing bubbles
    Last edited by juliemadden; Tue, Sep 20th, 2016 at 01:34 PM.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Sweet Sparrow, it must be such a frustrating situation for you. You are right though about not changing the way your DH is and fighting about money. It isn't worth it, but I get your angst about your money differences.
    With my husband it is money spent on hobbies that drive me crazy, the fishing and hunting excursions are out of control and very pricey. We have family here next week that are also avid hunters and I am expected to act as camp cook....I have been cooking and freezing non stop so I can be prepared for 7 extra people as well as entertaining the wives that will be hanging with me for the week. Off to Superstore this morning to buy more supplies and was up till 2 am baking muffins and cookies......I am not even going to tally the grocery bill it will just depress me!
    @thriftygranny : Hopefully you are using PC points and maybe a cash back credit card? I have been watching my points accumulate happily with PC. RCSS also price matches so they are my main store as well, even if it is 30 minutes one-way. Anything baked ahead of time is better than store bought, in cost and health, so I think of those as built in savings!

I'm also a bit worried about how expenses will turn out after the second LO comes along. There will be the burden of two in childcare, plus increased food, savings, trips, activities, etc.

Update: I decided to check the card balance as I didn't have full confidence in the way the CS at WM checked the GC. She said she didn't know how to check the history of the card and I can see a sticky residue where tape once was. Usually, if you put money on a card, the cashier will tape on the new total. The number on the back of the card told me there was $67.94 so we're still missing $45 from the co-worker, which I am sure, he will not pay back.

Just like he never gave DH any money for carpooling over three hours, week after week, month after month. I am still a bit put out that the cologne smell that he used to cover his chain smoking habit lingers in our car, on my seat belt, and he always exhaled the last breath of smoke after the door was closed. (I am allergic, or very sensitive to cigarette smoke.) Plus, he always spills his Starbucks coffee all down the dashboard and all over my seat. I've never met the guy, but I would seriously just drop the guy off at the nearest transit terminal rather than drive him anywhere!

If there is any money on the card, DH will not say anything. The co-worker will just say he'll buy him a coffee.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by juliemadden View Post
    Lmao. Eww grimy showers is not my cup of tea but if it makes you happy.. The only reason why I had a cleaner is because of my sjogren's. I've had it since I was 6 so cleaning was never my forte. I agree with you that scrubbing bubbles and tilex are strong. Too bad cause I like scrubbing bubbles
    But it's only grimy until you clean them. I like cleaning showers after I take one because I can leave the shower with two things now clean and everything is so shiny afterwards. Just like I love cleaning my friends' jewelery and bring out the shine in their stones and check the prongs. One group actually passes around a container and hands me all the jewelery when we meet up annually so I can tell them if they need to see a jeweler about a loose setting and get their pieces looking their best. I have an affinity for shiny things, whether it's shiny diamonds or shiny sink fixtures. It's a weakness.

Although, I must admit that I'm only used to the level of grime that I can tolerate before I do a major clean on our shower. I've never watched mold grow on grout or anything beyond mild discolouration so I assume everyone's shower is like that.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Don't be embarrassed
    Last edited by juliemadden; Tue, Sep 20th, 2016 at 04:17 PM.
    Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

SweetSparrow: I too take perverse pleasure in cleaning jewelry especially my rings. Makes me so happy when they are all sparkly and clean.
    You have more patience than I would with your DHs spending, but you are wise to choose your battles. I think we all have our indulgences, some more expensive than others. For my DH it is cycling & a love of expensive bikes to ride. But I know how costly they can get so I don't fret to much as he can only ride one at a time. He is also trying to sell one bike as he has multiples and he is now saving to go on European tour next summer. We can easily afford it, but its nice to see that he is planning for and saving for the trip.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information