User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree371Likes

Thread: Summer Olympics 2016 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Team Canada Rio 2016 uniforms

The Canadian design duo between high-end label Dsquared2, Dean and Dan Caton, designed this year's Olympic uniforms for Hudson's Bay

The opening ceremony look includes a red jacket fashioned from the blend of a windbreaker and tailored blazer, featuring flap pockets

Olympic team members fencer Joseph Polossifakis, left to right, wrestler Korey Jarvis, swimmer Aurelie Rivard, cyclist Hugo Barrette and paddler Ben Russell
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Natalka; Wed, Apr 13th, 2016 at 08:47 PM.
    bluerose, Shwa Girl and beckie.c like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Meh. To me, it seems more like a re-vamping of stuff that's already out there. It's not awful. However, I'm not too keen on that red flap-jacket with the matching flap-shirt. Just.... strange.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Australia

GoJays and beckie.c like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Nice thread. Summer is just around the corner. Right?

Here's hoping for a Zika virus free summer Olympics.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Right!?! Now those are nice uniforms! Ours just seem so..... casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Australia

abbasgirl and Natalka like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The torch

The innovative design, which is inspired by the warmth of the Brazilian people, features moveable segments that expand vertically to reveal the colours of Brazil when the Olympic flame is passed from one torchbearer to another. The triangular shape of the torch, meanwhile, alludes to the three Olympic Values of excellence, friendship and respect, while the floating effect of its different segments represents the efforts of the athletes.

Beth Lula, Rio 2016 Brand Director said: “The design of the Rio 2016 Torch was inspired by the Olympic spirit, our country’s nature, and the harmonious diversity and energy of our people. We used the specific stroke of the Rio 2016 brand to design the torch’s contours. Its horizontal segments, once open, reveal the sky, mountains, sea and the ground, represented by the promenade of Copacabana.”

Each torch – crafted from recycled aluminium and resin with a satin finish – weighs between 1kg and 1.5kg and stands 63.5cm high when contracted and 69cm when expanded.
    These will be carried by approximately 12,00 torchbearers during the Rio 2016 Olympic Torch Relay

http://www.rio2016.com/tochaolimpica/en

On the above site, you can see the different sections and what each means.

The Kiss - the torch opens up at the moment of the kiss, when the flame is passed from one bearer to another.

--

The Torch relay

World gymnastics champion Eleftherios Petrounias will start the torch relay for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics on April 21.

The Greek gymnast will receive the newly-lit flame during a ceremony at the birthplace of the ancient games in southern Greece.
    The meticulously choreographed ceremony is held ahead of every Olympics in front of a 2,600-year-old temple in Ancient Olympia.

Petrounias, who will be competing at his first Olympics in Rio, won gold on the rings at the world and European championships last year.

He will pass the flame to Brazilian former volleyball great Giovane Gavio. From Ancient Olympia, the flame will be carried through Greece for a week before being handed over to Rio officials on April 27.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/ol...elay-1.3529949
    GoJays and beckie.c like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The logo represents three figures, in the yellow, green, and blue of the Brazilian flag, joined at the arms and in a triple embrace, with the overall shape reflecting that of Sugarloaf Mountain. The logo was based on four concepts: contagious energy, harmonious diversity, exuberant nature, and Olympic spirit.

Motto Live your passion
    (Portuguese: Viva sua paixão)

August 5 to August 21

Record numbers of countries are participating in a record number of sports. More than 10,500 athletes from 206 National Olympic Committees (NOCs), including first time entrants Kosovo and South Sudan, will take part.[2] With 306 sets of medals, the games will feature 28 Olympic sports — including rugby sevens and golf, which were added by the International Olympic Committee in 2009. These sporting events will take place at 33 venues in the host city and at 5 venues in the cities of São Paulo (Brazil's largest city), Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Brasília (Brazil's capital), and Manaus.

beckie.c likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The Olympic mascot is called Vinicius and is named after musician Vinicius de Moraes. The Olympic mascot represents Brazilian wildlife, primarily carrying design traits of mammals: the agility of cats, sway of monkeys and grace of birds. He can stretch his arms and legs as much as he wants.

The Paralympic mascot is called Tom, named after the musician Tom Jobim. He represents the plants of Brazilian forests and can pull any object from his head of leaves and is always growing and overcoming obstacles.[1]

beckie.c likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The torch is beautiful! Hopefully they don't have too many technicals with the "kiss". Could you imagine running that relay and having to carry that thing? One kilogram is pretty heavy to hold up like that for that kilometer or two that they have to run.
    Natalka likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Meh. To me, it seems more like a re-vamping of stuff that's already out there. It's not awful. However, I'm not too keen on that red flap-jacket with the matching flap-shirt. Just.... strange.
    Strange wasn't the word I was gonna use!
    GoJays likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

There is also lots of meaning - the inside of the blazer lists every Australian gold medallist

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    There is also lots of meaning - the inside of the blazer lists every Australian gold medallist

Now that's cool..
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Wed, Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:26 PM.
    Natalka and GoJays like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Strange wasn't the word I was gonna use!
    Do tell

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I second that motion. The ladies look absolutely fabulous...that skirt, blazer and scarf oozes sophistication and classiness. Don't even get me started on that unisex shoes; definitely thumbs up from me.

The Canada outfit says am all business in front and casual at the back...it's like make up your mind already.
    GoJays likes this.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information