User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Handicap Permits and tibbits or information you might wanna share?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Since breaking my leg, my doctor issued a Handicap Permit for me. And always being in and out of a hospital, you know parking can be very limit... But around a hospital, they have spots that say No Parking. Well with a Handicap Permit you can park in those area's for four (4) hours as long as your handicap permit is on your dash. Saved lots of money knowing this after a few visits. Not just hospitals, anywhere.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Charger View Post
    Since breaking my leg, my doctor issued a Handicap Permit for me. And always being in and out of a hospital, you know parking can be very limit... But around a hospital, they have spots that say No Parking. Well with a Handicap Permit you can park in those area's for four (4) hours as long as your handicap permit is on your dash. Saved lots of money knowing this after a few visits. Not just hospitals, anywhere.
    Really my mom keeps saying she can put the pass up at a meter for free I won't do it without paying. She says well put it up in case we go over but I rush back at the two hour mark everytime.
    Is there a place where these rules are written I've looked but to no avail

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I use mine for free fishing as it acts as a license for that also.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

In Winnipeg you have to pay at meters but many ticket writers turn a blind eye. You can double the time requirement. So you can stay 4 hours in a 2 hour zone. But you are suppose to pay fpr the 4 hours.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I found out after many years of driving my disabled brother around that, although he doesn't drive, he can get a handicap permit to display as long as he is a passenger.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

some helpful information
    you can get one for a motorcycle too
    you can get one for visitors too
    Permit Holder Rules

Always display your permit on the dashboard or sun visor of the car you are travelling in so the permit number and expiry date is clearly visible.
    Only the person named on the permit can use it to park in an accessible parking space. The permit must be returned to a ServiceOntario centre when the person named on the permit is either deceased, the holder is no longer a person with a disability, the permit contains incorrect information or, the permit is cancelled. If another person uses the permit, it can result in fines of up to $5,000 and the permit may be seized.
    Eligibility

To get an accessible parking permit, your healthcare practitioner must certify that you have one or more of the following health conditions:

• cannot walk without assistance of another individual or of a brace, cane, crutch, lower limb prosthetic device or similar assistive device or who requires the assistance of a wheelchair,
    • suffers from lung disease to such an extent that his or her forced expiratory volume in one second is less than one litre,
    • portable oxygen is a medical necessity,
    • suffers from cardiovascular disease to such an extent that the individual’s functional capacity is classified as Class III or Class IV according to Nomenclature and Criteria for Diagnosis of Diseases of the Heart and Great Vessels, ninth edition, published by Little, Brown & Co. in 1994,
    • severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, musculoskeletal or orthopaedic condition,
    • visual acuity is 20/200 or poorer in the better eye with corrective lenses if required, or whose maximum field of vision using both eyes has a diameter of 20 degrees or less,
    • mobility is severely limited by one or more conditions or functional impairments

Regulated healthcare practitioners

When you apply, your condition can only be certified by a:

• physician
    • chiropractor
    • registered nurse practitioner (extended class)
    • physiotherapist
    • occupational therapist
    • chiropodist or
    • podiatrist

They will indicate on your application whether you have a permanent condition, temporary condition or subject-to-change disability.
    Types of permits

There are 5 types of accessible parking permits you may be eligible for:
    If you have a permanent disability: you can get a permanent permit. It is valid for 5 years and can be renewed without re-certification from a health care practitioner.
    If you have a disability that is considered subject to change: you can get a subject-to-change permit. It is valid for 5 years. To renew this permit you are required to be re-certified by a health care practitioner.
    If you have a short-term disability (up to 12 months): you can get a temporary permit. This permit is not renewable.
    If you are travelling outside Ontario: you can get a traveller’s permit to park your car in an Ontario airport while you use your regular permit during your trip. This permit is valid up to 1 year.
    If you are a company or non-profit organization: you can get a company permit for every vehicle of your company or non-profit organization that is used mainly to transport people with disabilities. It is valid for 5 years and can be renewed.
    Get a motorcycle decal

Eligibility

You can only get an accessible parking permit motorcycle decal if you:

• hold an unexpired accessible parking permit for general use
    • hold a valid motorcycle driver’s licence (class M or M2)
    • own or lease a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle

You must carry your accessible parking permit with you, even if the decal is displayed on your motorcycle plate when parking in an accessible parking space
    How to apply

To obtain a motorcycle decal, you must send a written request to ServiceOntario.
    In your letter, state you are applying for a new accessible parking motorcycle decal and include:

• your full legal name
    • your current permanent or subject-to-change accessible parking permit number
    • your driver’s licence number (must be class M or M2)
    • the licence plate number of each motorcycle registered in your name to which the decal will be attached
    • a copy of your identification that proves: legal name, date of birth, and signature

Send your request to:
    ServiceOntario
    P.O. Box 9800
    Kingston ON K7L 5N8
    Travelling with permit (outside Ontario)

If you are travelling outside of Ontario and hold an unexpired permanent or subject to change accessible parking permit, you may apply for a traveller permit. In order to be issued a traveller permit, you must specify the location or circumstances in which it may be used to ServiceOntario.
    If you want to use your accessible parking permit outside of Ontario, you should contact the authorities in the location(s) you are travelling. Always follow the local rules and regulations where you are travelling.
    Acceptable identification

To apply for an accessible parking permit, you must provide proof of the following three elements of your identity: legal name, date of birth, and signature. When applying in-person, all documents must be original. If applying by mail or fax, send only copies, not originals.
    Note: If you are applying for a dependant under the age of 18, you do not require a signature document.
    List 1

Documents shown on this list provide proof of all three elements of identity in one document (legal name, date of birth and signature).

• Passport – Canadian or Foreign (not expired more than one year)
    • Canadian Citizenship Card with photo (issued prior to February 1, 2012)
    • Canadian Permanent Resident Card with signature
    • Record of Landing (Form IMM 1000)
    • Confirmation of Permanent Resident (Form IMM 5292)
    • Report Pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act with photo (Form IMM 1442)
    • Student Authorization/Study Permit (Form IMM 1442)
    • Employment Authorization/Work Permit (Form IMM 1442)
    • Visitor Record (Form IMM 1442)
    • Temporary Resident’s Permit (Form IMM 1442) – formally Minister’s Permit/Extension of Minister’s Permit
    • Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (issued on or after December 15, 2009,by Indian & Northern Affairs Canada)
    • Driver's licence, Enhanced driver's licence or Ontario Photo Card – issued by the Government of Ontario (not expired more than one year)
    • Canadian Department of National Defence driver's licence (Form DND 404)

List 2

A combination of the documents shown on this list will provide proof of all three elements of identity (legal name, date of birth and signature) when shown together.
    Proof of legal name and date of birth

• Canadian Birth Certificate or a proof of birth document issued by a US jurisdiction
    • Canadian Permanent Resident Card without signature (issued after February 4, 2012)
    • certified copy of Statement of Live Birth – issued by the Government of Ontario
    • US Passport Card

Proof of legal name

• certified copy of marriage certificate – issued by the Government of Ontario

Proof of legal name and signature

• Certificate of Indian Status (laminated card issued by Indian & Northern Affairs Canada)

Proof of date of birth

• Nexus Card and FAST/EXPRESS Card

Proof of signature

• Driver's licence or enhanced driver's licence – issued by another Canadian or US jurisdiction
    • Ontario Health Card
    • Identity Card issued by a Canadian or US jurisdiction (enhanced or non-enhanced)
    • Ontario Student Card with signature
    • Declaration from a Guarantor (Form SR-LD-40)
    • Canadian Department of National Defence (DND) Identity Card

Visitors to Ontario

Any ServiceOntario centre may issue a visitor permit for general use to a visitor in Ontario. You must prove that you hold a valid permit in your home jurisdiction. This may include:

• accessible parking permit from your home jurisdiction,
    • number plate or other marker or device bearing the international symbol of access for persons with a disability, or
    • other evidence that you are from another jurisdiction and have a disability

Visitors to Ontario who are applying for a visitor’s accessible parking permit must provide the following acceptable proof:

• One out-of-province government issued document bearing the name and address of the applicant plus one of the following:
      • application for an accessible parking permit (form SR-LV-129) completed by a recognized health care practitioner,
      • out-of-province hospital card,
      • health care practitioner’s certificate or letter,
      • medical insurance document, or
      • other appropriate medical document

The visitor permit will be valid for up to six months. A sponsor may apply for a permit in advance of the visitor’s trip to Ontario.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Whew! Thanks, Shwa Girl!
    Redneck Charger likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been using it in NO parking zones, and have not received a ticket up to 4 hours of free parking...
    Lynn49 and KJH like this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

nevermind- found my answer
    SaveSave
    Last edited by Addictedtodeals; Tue, Oct 18th, 2016 at 05:19 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Charger View Post
    I've been using it in NO parking zones, and have not received a ticket up to 4 hours of free parking...
    Heavens what a life-saver that is for us, RNC! Of course we use it when parking at "Handicapped" spaces, but like yours, our city permits free parking at meters in the city, although we only used that for my painting classes that were 3 hours once a week.
    Redneck Charger and KJH like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Perfect, least they help us out that way...
    Lynn49 and KJH like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Alberta's current requirements are pretty tough. That being said the doctors get that and sign off if you can walk a little farther.
    A person can't be able to walk more than 150 feet in order to be qualified.
    https://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/mv...d_Info_FAQ.PDF
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

i didn't know it save $$$, both dad and mom had one that we used for handicaped parkings, but never otherwise
    Redneck Charger and KJH like this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    Alberta's current requirements are pretty tough. That being said the doctors get that and sign off if you can walk a little farther.
    A person can't be able to walk more than 150 feet in order to be qualified.
    https://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/mv...d_Info_FAQ.PDF
    @cheekysaver that is complete bull, i can walk today 150' but i would be done, someone should go back and challenge that... @Mia001 too bad, there was probably more that they could have used it...
    cheekysaver and KJH like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

They have no way to check at the registry to know how far you can walk. My dad has a permit. As long as your doctor signs off on it you are golden. In Alberta you see all kinds of elderly people with the permits that can walk farther than that. Fortunately, doctors get it and just sign off for those who need it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information