User Tag List

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree1854Likes

Thread: November 2016 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I am so over raking leaves (in winter boots to boot). Interesting that Home Hardware offers their $2.49/5pk yard bag deal this week, when last year the special was on during the first week of October (because I went to get 2 pk). Want a snow fence to keep any more leaves or future snow drifts away from downspouts. Glad I have those Sample Source pain reliever samples because I will put one to use to deal with lingering lower backache from the raking.

Since the oven was in use tonight for Mom's baking, I will make the roasted squash casserole tomorrow-just the idea of having an actual dish made with butternut squash appeals because it usually just cut up and roasted plain in the oven-not appetizing. Bananas need to be salvaged with a muffin or cake recipe so there'll be homemade sweet to go with tea.

Will look through coupons and see which ones I can send to a good friend as she is doing me a favour.

My glove sewing pattern will get a reading over the weekend-no store is making gloves like the ones I had years ago from Eddie Bauer. If I don't find something at Value Village's Club Member pre-sale on Sunday (50% off clothing-yippee-shoes, accessories-yes! and bed&bath), then I'll have to make some gloves with gripping surfaces.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I just found this, which I think would be great for kids sensory play.

"We made play snow! It is really simple to make: 3 cups of baking soda mixed with a half a cup of conditioner. I would recommend a white conditioner so your snow stays that color. I found the recipe here and have had the ingredients for awhile."
    It will stay good if stored in an air tight container.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

Did my shopping list for the week - there's really not much on it, so that's a good thing!

Hope you all have a great start to the weekend!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SS-I, like Ciel, hope you can catch up on your rest this weekend.

Ciel- Although I agree with you it would be nice if newborns only ate 3 times per day and parents could sleep through the night-that is just not the reality! Perhaps I mis-read your post. With all due respect, having been around newborns a lot of late, the usual health advice( at least here in Alberta) is that most healthy newborns need to eat 8-12 times per 24 hours in the early days/weeks. Older infants/children usually eat quite often too with meals and snacks through the day. In my experience, few newborns skip one feeding in the middle of the night until at least 3-6 months of age at the earliest. When parents first say their baby is sleeping through the night I think they usually mean they went 5-8 hrs without a feeding. I do remember when my sister was born in 1970 most newborns were bottlefed larger formula feedings on a strict 4 hourly schedule, 6x per 24 hrs. With the majority of newborns now starting with breastfeeding, they are fed more frequently and often on demand.

Only 3 feedings per 24 hrs would lead to a sick and crying or lethargic infant with poor weight gain and child protection services would likely be called! As I am sure most new Mum's will attest, feeding is a seemingly non-stop and exhausting job in the first few months. Unless of course a mother chooses to partially or completely bottlefeed and share feeding duties with another family member or a night nanny. I do sometimes see ads for this, particularily when parents have twins or triplets. I myself have even been asked to work overnight but I always say No( except in extrememly rare or extenuating, short term circumstances.)

On a related note I was surprised to read the other day that, I believe it was the American Pediatrics Association, now recommends that infants sleep in a separate crib in their parents bedroom for the first 12 months of life. Haven't heard a similar staement in Canda-yet. Very interesting.

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Sat, Nov 12th, 2016 at 09:36 AM.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I know this is late in reply. Just not getting to the keyboard as much these days.
    @jasperandchar RE: Great Wolf Lodge - It was still expensive $300 taxes in for one night. When you consider the room for the night and waterpark tickets for 1.5 days for a family of up to 6, it is still a good deal. I randomly looked on the site and they had 25% off rooms for one night. Often you have to stay more than one to get that deal. I think October-mid-November is an off-season for them. The $300 does not include meals. We ate frugally for people eating out. With all the other little expenses and food we spent an additional $200 over the two days. So $500 for a night away. But no dishes and lots of smiles.

Tonight is a Stag and Doe for my cousin. DH is working all weekend at a youth convention. I am taking care of my sister's step-daughter so her and her husband can go. They we will be crashing here after the Stag and Doe, as our location is close to the venue. Homemade waffles are ready to go for tomorrow's breakfast, and I just have to prep the beds. Another cousin has a baby on the way and just went to the hospital.

I am starting to get my Christmas shopping itch. I planned a Build-a-Bear event for one side of the family. It is expensive per child, but cheaper than buying for all the kids in total (7). We are paying for our own and not doing gifts for the children. The experience together is the gift. We also received two hand me down Build-a-Bears from a girl at church in excellent condition with TONS of clothes. Santa covered too. Not much to buy other than gift cards. A lot of gifts are that of time or experience.
    Last edited by Granger; Sat, Nov 12th, 2016 at 10:44 AM.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 6 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

@sweet sparrow

Aaron (exalted) or Isaac (laughter) for a boy - I would have loved an Aaron.

I don't have many girls' names left unused , I have three. Some classics friends have named: Harriet, Winifred, Vivienne. I don't know the meanings though, which was important to us.

I will be praying for a safe arrival!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well my son and his wife bought a newer car for my daughter-in-law her car gave out 10 years old -it is a kia forte I think nice car -I watched ashlyn while my hubby and daughter-in-law went to pick it up (son was working)
    -wen to the mall at 9.30 to return 2 tops to gap saved 27.12 but then spent 22 on a few clothing items for grandchildren -I had a mystery card for 50% also went to homeoutfitters got 35.00 reg priced pillows for sleeping for 10.00 each had a 10.00 gift card so basically one is free
    -oh and got 3 new pairs of pants(tweed ,purple and black dress stretch pants really nice she said not her style ) for free my daughter in-law went thru her closet and I got a older t-shirt for summer
    -debating if I should got to shoppers for 20 times the points -as I am really tired now this waking up at 5.00 a.m is killing me

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I went to Co-op to take advantage of their offer-buy $20 of Salsa, taco chips, potato chips etc and mail in for a $20 Co-op gift card- so basically free other than the stamp. Most of the stuff is kind of junky( but Dole fruit juice was included)-my teen loves this annual promotion! I rarely buy potato chips as then I might eat them-I purposely chose flavours that did not appeal to me-so not too hard to resist. Lol. DH and DD did some Xmas baking( again lucky for me they chose things that are not my fav's as I really don't need the added sweets)-some of which we will take to our friends for dessert, as they invited us for dinner. DD is away for 2 weeks at Xmas so why not let her enjoy some treats early!
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

does anyone have an immersion blender ?? I don't own one -the stick ones for using with soup -my daughter-in-law wants one for xmas but not a high end model as she is only using it for soup or the odd smoothie -was looking at a hamilton beach model on amazon for 20.49 -I have been researching this to death ,so I thought id ask you ladies if you have one and the price range you paid and if you are happy with it -thanks

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

A baby stole dh's only set of truck keys and they were missing for an entire day. The living room has been pulled apart and cleaned. Our bedroom has been taken over by the family's clean laundry that needs to be folded, sorted, and put away. I just found dh's keys in the bottom of one of the two baskets of clean clothes that I was starting to fold. Dh's relieved that I found them. He was anticipating having to special order a new key for $250+ on Monday. Part of dh's phone case has also been missing for days, courtesy of our twins. The phone case clip was found in the nursery, wedged in by a crib.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Coupon Girl we have an immersion blender. Ours is the Cuisine Art version that has multiple attachment, we have the immersion blender and whisk and I think one more. I don't really use it but Mom loves it. I found an awesome deal a few years back and got it for $20 on sale at

Your daughter in law may find other uses for it once she has it. I know my step mom has one (no idea what brand) but she used it for waffle and pancake mix.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I can't believe all of the people out Christmas shopping today. I thought I would just pop in and out of the Bay....wrong. Also stopped into Giant Tiger and some of their Christmas stuff is sold out already....wow.

For the past several years I have been using leaves to cover my plant beds for the winter. Tip I learnt from a gardener friend who has an amazing garden. She said it's a waste to put leaves by the curb - better to compost them in the garden if you can.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

thanks for the tip sassyashley -and barbis -I will leave the leaves in my plant beds as I just planted it this year so it will keep them protected against the snow I imagine
    -yes the main mall in my city this morning it opened at 9.30 I was there waiting for the bay doors to open and lots of spots to park in -when I came out an hour later at 10.30 the parking lot was full-yes people are xmas shopping thats for sure

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@lizzie bargain -Interesting discussion on feeding frequencies for babies! Since I read three books on North American women who lived abroad for scholastic or work reasons in France with their families, they tended to take notice of cultural differences of how French children raised/educated versus how North American children are raised. You may have realized too that dear @sweet sparrow has been on the go to the almost all year with herself always last after the others. Thus I offered that bit of info about three feedings only because she might get some real sleep in should the effort stick within the first three weeks. I'm rather hoping she has a relative who is reliable that can fend off everyone else in the first few weeks while the new baby and mom and family settle in.
    French parents (i.e. women) are rather keen to let the children know that their lives revolve around the parents, not them. That extends to child sized glassware and cutlery at toddlerhood so the kids learn to eat properly with suitably scaled utensils. A sippy cup might draw some kind of look if proferred to a French mom for her child to use.
    As with everything, @Sweets parrow will make the final decisions on what is best for her situation when the baby arrives.

OK-casserole report! I made 1/2 of the rosemary roasted squash dish (without the cornstarch or parsley as I did not have it) and the aroma is something like the white garlicky pizza sauce on the McCain International Parisian pizza! The butternut squash loses about 1/4 to 1/3 of its shape during baking in the oven. I used a round 10" cake pan for the dish. I'm definitely going to make this again and substitute coconut oil for the olive oil (just had enough oil for the recipe). I used two garlic cloves which gave just enough flavour without being in-your- face strong. Great way to use 1 butternut squash and some spices.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Was going through my coupons and realized the Coupon Zone V8 Energy 75 cents off coupon expired yesterday. Noticed two Nov. 16 dates on the Knorr Buy 2 Liptons Sidekicks and Get 1 free coupon and the Buy 1 get 1 free Liptons tea coupon (BTW, Sobeys extra has 3 bonus AM wub 2 Lipton's teas at $3.49 each). I may wish to pursue the tea offer.

Sobeys-Looked the Dove+Men care promotion cards (shower tools retail for $6.19) at Sobeys. Only one card was actually near the Dove men's shower tool (retailing for $6.19) and there were two tools in boxes on the shelf (nothing in the cardboard display nor in the Vaseline Men shelf area).
    Club House extracts on sale for $2.99 include the pure vanilla extract! This item usually is priced at $4.99 or $5.29-worth stocking up.
    Used my $2 off Juicy Jumbos coupon on one package today as the product is $2.99 on special at Sobeys.

Decided not to preview what Value Village has tonight on the racks. I'll just jot a list of clothing areas to check tomorrow and make like an early bird to see what matches my needs. Will check Walmart on way home to see if Live Better exists or not.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information