User Tag List

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Like Tree1854Likes

Thread: November 2016 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well was chatting to daughter this morning -was gonna purchase a pack and playard for Sebastian for xmas -told her I saw one for 49.99 she said get it -so I go back to computer and its gone ,so tried to call the customer service person and she looked at the website and said it must be gone but try the store -well called the store could not get thru -so off we went to the actual toysrus -found out from the girl in baby dept -I was on the American site -uhhhh the one they have on sale is crappy
    -no online shopping for me today as I ordered a shirt for hubby yesterday from the gap cause they run out of bigger sizes fast

-just raked a bag of wet leaves -man was it heavy -then I hear the neighbour cutting his lawn and blowing it over to my side -I am on the curve of the crescent and we share the front lawn -ugggg-now he has a leaf blower -but I bet you 10 to 1 half the leaves are on my side
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Sunday was my shopping day. One redemption at SDM to get rid of some points, picked up some paper towels for the new baby, eggs, Nivea for Mum and that used it all. I think if I had more time, I would have done another redemption at a different store as they were missing a few items I was looking for. Ran around at an outdoor mall to pick up DH's gift, a new showerhead for the bath, and some extra grapes that I bought Saturday and tested on Sunday at WM. In the evening, I had to do some real grocery shopping after LO slept for the night and parked in the spot reserved for expectant mothers and families with young children for the first time. How luxurious! Someone is always in that spot during the day.

While I was at WM, I experienced a sharp stomach area pain. It can't be contractions so early! I tried walking a bit but felt worse. I debated between just going home or if I should call the hospital to see if they think it serious. I stooped to look for shampoo and almost couldn't get up if it weren't for a lady who told me I was in her way. The pause made the pain ease and then I finally realized what it was, after walking around the entire store with severe discomfort.

Earlier at lunch, I ate a cheese sandwich, with three small, rectangular pieces of cheese, about 2.5 mm or less in width. I was having lactose intolerance pain! I had forgotten what that felt like because I've been working on building my tolerance for years. Apparently, two small bowls of cereal at breakfast is okay, but three small pieces of cheese are not okay. The effects of the intolerance seems to be cumulative. How silly I felt, almost thinking that I was going to go into labour at Walmart! Well, it is pretty stressful there....

@Natalka: Thank you for suggesting EB Games. DH did originally pick it up there as a used game for the original price, but they lowered the price for this weekend and then took off an amount equivalent to the tax. I picked up a game that looks like new for a fair price. Hopefully, it works as I didn't buy the guarantee!

I'm not sure yet if I should hold out for the new version at Best Buy or Amazon and use points for the purchase. Amazon is still out of stock, and I've spent all my points at the moment to be able to pick up a GC.

Haha! Oh that is exactly how it feels! Now everytime I have the pain from my milk/cheese I will be thinking of this and think of it as going into labour lol. I try to stay away from it too but I love cheese and refuse to buy the stuff they call cheese and charge 10x the price!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

It has been unseasonably warm here and the grass is green. Snow started 3hrs ago and we have nearly 2" of snow on my deck. We are expecting 19cm or more before it stops snowing on Wednesday. This will be my first real encounter with snow with my front wheel drive van, daily trips to Pre-K.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

@sweet sparrow - wow, you were busy - glad you got the game, and I hope it's okay.
    I can relate to the lactose intolerance - it's odd how many things can 'pass' and others just don't. These days, I just take Lactaid pills for everything, because as I've aged, I'm tolerating less - drat! I'd rather take the pills than go through the horribleness, which is TMI.
    @Frugalbigmama - I know, there is just no sense in buying fake cheese, etc. I'd rather not have any - or use Lactaid (which I stock up on when it's on sale, with coupons).

Cold, dull day here - apparently more snow is on its way.

Don't have much in the way of shopping to do this week, which is a welcome relief!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Evening all,

Busy bunch on here as usual.

Taking it easy today as I have a cold that is really hanging on. I did some research today on ds1 getting his G1, dh wants him to take the course and I agree but geez, I had to pay for my own drivers lessons and so much more when I was his age. Dh & I are not in agreement with what type of part time job he should get. I think he should apply to where he would like to and dh wants him to apply to jobs that will further his knowledge in carpentry which he wants to pursue after high school. I don't know of any carpenters that hire students 16 so it's a sore subject to discuss BUT bottom line is he needs to get a job.

I only have ds2 and FIL left for Christmas so that's a relief.

Wishing everyone a great evening.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-just chatted with daughter around 4.00 p.m she had Sebastian out for another walk -she told me don't worry about the playpen -if I give her money she will put it towards the playpen along with the clothing I bought him for xmas
    -I think I will hold back one item I got ashlyn (playdoh pony at shoppers for easter) as my daughter-in-law said she needs p.j's for xmas
    -bbq tonight porkchops ,fries and raw carrots -just finished it was yummy

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Evening all,

Taking it easy today as I have a cold that is really hanging on. I did some research today on ds1 getting his G1, dh wants him to take the course and I agree but geez, I had to pay for my own drivers lessons and so much more when I was his age. Dh & I are not in agreement with what type of part time job he should get. I think he should apply to where he would like to and dh wants him to apply to jobs that will further his knowledge in carpentry which he wants to pursue after high school. I don't know of any carpenters that hire students 16 so it's a sore subject to discuss BUT bottom line is he needs to get a job.

I can understand why you'd want to include the financial part of driving in the conversation because insurance, gas etc. cost once another driver is added to the vehicle insurance. Maybe try doing online insurance quotations with DS2 to show him the $ impact once he's added to your insurance compared to having to be on his own insurance (the $$$ will be obvious). Is it possible to get a used vehicle just for DS2's use or would he need to fund one himself? I wish I had grown up with some budgeting for car/driver's licence but there was no knowledge imparted other than whoever earned the money called the shots. So if/when I do try for a DL a second time, I will know what $$$ are involved for a car/insurance/related costs because the Internet allows for much information access this time.

As for future work, is the Ontario website for youth interested in trades consulted to see what apprenticeships and rules require of youth planning their work careers (esp. apprenticeship agreements)? Whenever I saw that tv ad with the young man driving a convertible to show his career paid well, I kept thinking he must have a unionized job with a government agency.

The CAASCO club had a tuition contest for those who are taking their driving program. Check to see if your local CAA might have a similar offer.
    https://www.caasco.com/Community-Act...=learndrivewin
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Mulchfest (mowing over the leaf piles) went off as planned this morning. Did laundry during which time joints voiced their chorus of (low) hormonal displeasure. The rain came after 3pm while laundry was on the lines-thought the forecast was for rain in the early evening. Dryer was put to use.

Mom & I did errands and got some groceries-we both had ground cinnamon our lists and I was happy to put my $1 off Club House product coupon to use! I have a 50cent coupon for Manitoba Harvest product so tomorrow Sobey's $5.99 hemp seeds will be my grocery purchase in the afternoon. I may purchase some items at Longo's in the morning, as there some flyer specials worth buying 2 of for a price (900g Italpasta). I did get the last seaweed snack pkg at Shoppers today for $1.49 and saw that Food Basics has a different brand on sale for $1.88 (back aisle in a wire stand).

We were discussing bedding specials and clothes buying but I suggested we wait for post-Dec.25 shopping except for need-it-now items. She did not look at flyers this week and was wanting to buy a comforter for me, however some sets come with pillows she does not want to pay for. So we'll wait and see if future flyers might be of help (deeper discounts) in this case.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

By the way, if you still have any McDonald Monopoly food prizes to claim, this is the last week to do so (by Dec.5).
    Hard to believe the calendar page will change in three days' time.

There will be coupons expiring in early Dec. (the 11th?) so we'll have to be watching for deals to use the coupons up. Nexxus for me as the coupon is $4 off.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Evening all,

I'm guessing G1 is a beginner... don't schools have driver training lessons any more? Back in the dino ages when I took driver training, and when my son took his about nine years ago (different cities), the school division covered the classes and in-car training.

When my mom took driver training in her 60s, of course she had to pay for everything.

It's good your son wants a job - what it is may depend upon what's available in your area (you are rural, no?), and how many hours he has free to work during the school year.
    Our son didn't have a 'regular' part-time job during the school - but starting in Gr. 9 he was doing light and sound for school concerts, plays, and anything which was going on in the high school auditorium - and the pay was really good per hour since it was paid for by the school division. However, sometimes he was booked a few nights a week, sometimes a weekend night, or he could go for a few weeks for nothing. He also did light and sound at a Roman Catholic church for their Sunday Mass, and got paid well to do that, too - that, at least, was regular.

He knew he would be going into the trades, but hadn't decided yet what he wanted (he was considering carpentry then, or electrical), so he was lucky that for the summers he got to work full time at the same company where his dad worked - not with him, though. He was doing general labourer work, just with whatever guys needed help. He says now that that was the best training he could have ever had for the workforce!

Good luck to your son, on both aspects!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@ Natalka Drivers Ed is still free through schools in SK. I think the drivers Ed is free because of SGI (our crown corporation that does all the licenses, license plates, and some insurance), which requires a minimum number of hours of classroom training before the written exam, then behind the wheel training before being able to try for the actual driving test.
    Last edited by Angela273; Mon, Nov 28th, 2016 at 11:07 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Driver Training isn't taught in Alberta schools, I think it may have been at one time though! I paid 600.00 for driver training for my youngest 3 years ago. It is very expensive but I am not a great driving teacher and my husband wasn't home a lot then, I think it is a great thing for new drivers but I see how the cost would deter a lot of people.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I know here we do not get Drivers Ed through the school although the School I went to did have a deal with a local Driving School. If you took driving lessons with this Driving School you got a discount and they would work around your school schedule. But with that being said the spots were extremely limited, I think they only ran classes 3 times a year and there were I believe only 20 spots per run so needless to say it was the luck of the draw.

My parents put me in Young Drivers and I did what they called the quick program where you did 2 full weekends instead of 1 night a week for 2 months. Once you were done the in class portion the road driving would start. The driving instructor would pick you up from where ever you arranged, work, school, home. Only thing was with us being rural we had I believe 2 or 3 mandatory double lessons so they could take us to drive on the 400 series highways and in a busier atmosphere then small town driving.

Also if you take Drivers Ed here with a certified school you can take your G2 test earlier. Normally you have to have to have your G1 for a year but if you use a certified school and complete all lessons you can take your G2 test in 9 months instead of the year. This personally did not matter to me but a few friends were forced to take Drivers Ed because of Summer jobs and living in rural they needed their license to secure a summer job.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I just paid AMA about $1100 for online lessons and 14 hrs of driving instruction-a lot of money but I feel it is well worth it. DD will likely take her test in Jan or Feb as her last lesson is in early Jan.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-good for your son jasper -wanting to drive and a job (my daughter first job besides babysitting was 16 at the ontario parks ,cleaning up garbage ,the bathrooms various other stuff a bit of planting ) she did that 2 summers
    -I learnt to drive at 35 failed the road test 3 times (oh and I paid for lessons plus a few private one on one instructor)but passed on the 4th time I guess I was nervous -I was determined and didn't want my hubby to teach me his bad habits -lol

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread Information