User Tag List

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree2553Likes

Thread: January 2017 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@jasperandchar -I do not know about VIN etching or dot protect (or corresonding registration/fees for such items)! Thought the only VIN considerations were that the plate on the dashboard is there and maybe the VIN is on the driver's side door sticker. Have to ask my sibling if he's run into this detail on cars he's bought esp. the last one. What disappointing news about the tire warranty authorization-so dealer can sell the tires but cannot service them? Glad you are among the Ellen Roseman type members who can advocate for consumer protection and know your relevant policies and laws! What with the Canadian Auto Show coming up in Toronto, the dealer might like to see the light on items that were not authorized to make you happy and to keep in good standing with OMVIC. Also to see the way to returning your cash back. Just curious if all these processes and obstacles aka dealer policies were posted in the dealership office for all customers to see? Tagging @Candini who is looking into a vehicle purchase and might like to look into the etching and dot protect. Will see if the LemonAid books explain them too.

Did a long walk yesterday and found a nickel in a Yellow Pages box (last chance to score a free 2017 model home calendar with New Homes & Condo issue (7 week one) as next issue will hit the street later this week) while getting a free magazine. Lots of containers-$2.60 one way and $1 on way back. Found 3 more stickers to redeem my McCafe card for free hot chocolate drink and I bought a mini danish (3-4 bites of raspberry goodness). Got Oct 31 and Dec. 12 issues of First for Women magazine (my mind candy!) at Turner Park library. FFW-One interesting tip for women who may forget their lists at home after writing them out and going shopping-if you have a smartphone, take a photo of the list and make it your wallpaper (background) on the phone. That way you can see the list on your phone if you forget the actual one at home. It happens to all of us, leaving that list at home. I sometimes do a paper list and a second one on a Post-It note-usually one or both lists come with me.

Saw this morning's weak looking sky and thought how blah! Got chores done. Friend came to do a quick visit and a present dropoff-enjoyed hearing her weekend adventures and seeing the sun beam! Went in afternoon to get the $1 in containers returned and put my money into account-I've almost halfway paid my Feb. bank fee!

Brother left a generous portion of cooked taco meat, fixings and tortilla chips but failed to mention he used a hot & spicy seasoning packet. I realized by my third chip that the meat tasted really salty and peppery. Found the envelope and some steam blew out of my mind when I read the words. I drank some water and cola to ease the salt trail.

Saw Absolutely Fabulous the Movie on the weekend and it really is for the show fans (not hugely laugh out loud funny but I get some of the dreams and hopes-we all want to do well in life). See how many actors and celebrities you can recognize. Wish to be in the South of France and have some sympathy for the teen character being manipulated by adults around her. She does not look old enough to drive a car, yet she does. Movie is rated R, if that factors into your movie choices.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Very exciting. If I can offer some advice

If you get a pantry get the ones that the shelves pullout, the fixed shelving is such a pain in my opinion.

And I absolutely love my pot drawers I wish I had another bank of them versus lower cabinets.

Stainless steel appliances are nice but they do not stay clean, finger prints. They do apparently now have finger print free stainless steel which you may want to touch and consider should you want stainless.

If you have the option get a gas stove, the electric energy saving appliances are crap in my opinion, they take 20 minutes to warm up. And the glass tops continuous go on and off which is not energy efficient in my opinion.

Also if you want under cabinet lighting, get an electrician to hard wire them so you don't get all kinds of wires dangling that need to be taped up.

I hope you don't object some advice, can't wait to hear about your kitchen adventures.
    we already have gas, I had it installed 22 years ago when we bought the house. its what I grew up with and I love it, I know it scares lots of people & truthfully those glass cook tops scare me. I would be terrified of cracking it. The stove is the only thing not to replace as its a high end model I purchased several years ago when the original crapped out. As for stainless I know what I am up against so I have been touching them to test the no finger print proclamation some companies make. I think we have zeroed in on the fridge. I hate the newer model with the huge freezer at the bottom. I have teen boys, I need extra fridge space & Samsung makes one that the freezer is split and can be half a fridge. Its pretty sharp looking and has great reviews. I have been asking for lots of opinions from people because most have a love hate with the kitchen, so feel free to share. Our kitchen is not original to the house so its not the end of the work but man it screams 1990. The current design suggested the pantry will not be too deep so I will skip the pull outs to put them in the corners where space is wasted. but I think I want the appliance pull out as the mixer is so heavy that I never take it off the counter so that or a door that hides it. I am not sure I wanted lighting but so far everyone suggests it. I just think of the cost of hydro and ugh.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I'm still puzzled on how people price things for sale online. Some of the items I've seen seem like full price including the tax - but used!
    I think some just guess!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Its beautiful out today here. We really haven't had much hockey with our arena being torn down and a new one in progress but tonight is the 2nd outdoor practice we've gone to. And its gorgeous. I moved to the truck and as i sit here the snow keeps sliding off the roof.

We are trying to eat from freezer and pantry in anticipation of packing. (i have high hopes) Tonight i purchased a beautiful 2nd hand blue leather couch with 2 working recliners and a flip down console from someone else moving for a hundred dollars. We pick it up Thursday.
    I raided my 2017 xmas savings for the cash to pay aheadof pufk up because she had 6 other ppl wanting it. Somone even sent her hubby earlier than the time i had scheduled claiming she had talked to my friend and was to get it. Ha! Some people

I ordered turbo tax last week got the premier edition for 31.23 after tax with a 15% discount. I do our taxes so save a bit there. Next year ill have to study up on rental income and writeoffs a bit more.

We gave bfs brother some sausages and a pork roast from the pig we had butchered in november.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Freezing rain day here for the kids! Many closures today since they are calling for this freezing rain all day and into the evening. I am not far from work which is nice on days like this.
    Made my lunch from my selection of food I cooked on Sunday. Dinner tonight will be easy to plop on a plate and heat up and the boys can choose what they want from the selection. Make everyone happy!
    Will freeze stuff tonight in dinner size portions.
    Angela273, JadeAngel, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Doing some daydreaming of warmer weather via online `window shopping`and saw a couple more bell-sleeve tops to inspire your own dreams:

The denim version seems more practical for me than the white with thin stripe version (I`d love to make a pattern of the top to make it up in green print fabric to go with the summer skirt from last year):
    https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.co...atId=cat210006

Pink off the shoulder blouse with bell sleeves:

A pineapple print beach towel to add some tropical flare at home-yes, it`s pricey but my pineapple toy would love company!
    http://www.simons.ca/simons/product/...nd&colourId=67
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I got 6hrs sleep straight last night, but then baby girl woke up at 4:30am . I got her back to bed, it then I was unable to fall to sleep before baby boy decided to start his day at 5:30am. Baby boy took a nap this morning while our son was at Pre-K. Baby girl had a cat nap in the truck while doing Pre-K pick up. She is teething again, so she had been crying this morning.

I have a long word document that I use to try to keep track of the coupons that I receive from manufacturers. I called sone this morning and they are mailing out new coupons. One place said I hadn't called for coupons since 2014.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Doing some daydreaming of warmer weather via online `window shopping`and saw a couple more bell-sleeve tops to inspire your own dreams:

The denim version seems more practical for me than the white with thin stripe version (I`d love to make a pattern of the top to make it up in green print fabric to go with the summer skirt from last year):

Pink off the shoulder blouse with bell sleeves:

A pineapple print beach towel to add some tropical flare at home-yes, it`s pricey but my pineapple toy would love company!
    http://www.simons.ca/simons/product/...nd&colourId=67
    Last week I was doing the same but looking at trips down South!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Checked out the upcoming sale flyers. Lettuce .97 (for tacos next week one night for kids) and English muffins .98 (for breakfast with egg and cheese) That is seriously all I see that I want. So will be a good week to be creative and continue eating from freezer.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    My goodness, J&C, I would have walked away from all that, way too much to deal with. There's always another vehicle, at another place, at another time...
    I agree now BUT we had no clue, so it's partially our fault BUT the dealer is not following the mandated rules in car sales.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Goodness @jasperandchar ! That seems like a very long and tough life lesson and not one that you can predict the outcome of beforehand. Hats off to you for keeping your wits through it all. I probably would have lost my marbles awhile ago.

Having two small children and trying to keep up with them, I never feel too far from crazy these days. I am beginning to expect much higher bills from laundering cloth diapers, food, and heating costs.

DD1 no longer wakes crying at night because the lights are off so I may just try to keep them off from now on.

Thank you @Angela273 for the clothing tip. Have you ever sold maternity clothes?
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @jasperandchar -I do not know about VIN etching or dot protect (or corresonding registration/fees for such items)! Thought the only VIN considerations were that the plate on the dashboard is there and maybe the VIN is on the driver's side door sticker. Have to ask my sibling if he's run into this detail on cars he's bought esp. the last one. What disappointing news about the tire warranty authorization-so dealer can sell the tires but cannot service them? Glad you are among the Ellen Roseman type members who can advocate for consumer protection and know your relevant policies and laws! What with the Canadian Auto Show coming up in Toronto, the dealer might like to see the light on items that were not authorized to make you happy and to keep in good standing with OMVIC. Also to see the way to returning your cash back. Just curious if all these processes and obstacles aka dealer policies were posted in the dealership office for all customers to see? Tagging @Candini who is looking into a vehicle purchase and might like to look into the etching and dot protect. Will see if the LemonAid books explain them too.
    Yes please share and tag everyone who has in recently purchased a vechile or wants to.

The dealerships DO POST MSRP pricing on their vehicles and websites but they don't tell you what it includes and does not include which is the case in our situation AND I'm sure thousands of others.

So they prey on their customers lack of knowledge even-though it's government mandated. A customer truly has no way of knowing about the all-in-pricing other than doing research themselves. But the asking price (MSRP) is the all-in-pricing which MOST people DO NOT KNOW!!!

There are thousands of articles and a few stories done by CBCgoPublic as well on this very matter of dealerships scamming customers out of thousands of dollars.

Here's a link to the OMVIC site for those interested. I believe Alberta also has the all-in-pricing as well as a 3rd province which I no longer remember.

https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/Consu...InPricing.aspx

The last conversation which I don't know if I shared or not is that the dealership requires all vehicles on their lot to have etching so they claim. If the etching is not registered which is the case with our vehicle and I'm sure the others on the lot - there is no value to the etching. So why would a dealership do it as it's not an anti theft feature. It just doesn't make sense for the dealership to have to have it. It's just a bunch of malarkey. Anyways the sales person is no longer responding to my emails (shrug) where I asked him about he VIN etching, he could have just responded that it had sticker etching and call it a day. But etching is serial # and dot protect is random numbers/letters (which is what our car actually has)

I've been in contact with OMVIC today about possible assistance to resolve the issue, they are pressing me for the bill of sale which I don't want to share until the 30 day warranty has expired.

The kids are home for an inclement weather day, they had chicken fingers for lunch along with onion rings.

Supper tonight is hamburgers on the bbq, I will cook sooner rather than later and they can rewarm as we are supposed get freezing drizzle and ice pellets and don't want to break a leg (haha).

Wishing everyone a great evening.
    barbis9, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Hi all still around. My energy has been low, but I have been taking it easy. No work today, school's closed due to freezing rain. BUT my kid's school was open as the weather was much milder where I live.

This is my second pain killer free day since before Christmas. I am optimistic that the mono/or super virus...whatever it be that I have...is on its way out the door. I have yet to have a pain killer free day back to back though. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Our taxes were reassessed and we received a $1200 government surprise. My BIL does our taxes and checked everything over and said all was good. We are putting $100 in our RESP and gifting $100 to BIL's family RESPs as birthday bonuses for their son and daughter as they have birthdays early in the year. The last $1000 is going to our home reno fund. We are REALLY hoping to replace some windows this year, which we have wanted to do since we moved in three years ago.

I did a good grocery shop at Food Basics today for $120. We are doing really well with the budget. "EveryDollar" is really helping us keep to a budget as opposed to making the budget balance. It is basically like doing cashless cash jars! I have always wanted to do cash jars, but we don't use cash.
    Last edited by Granger; Tue, Jan 17th, 2017 at 04:14 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Goodness @jasperandchar! That seems like a very long and tough life lesson and not one that you can predict the outcome of beforehand. Hats off to you for keeping your wits through it all. I probably would have lost my marbles awhile ago.

Having two small children and trying to keep up with them, I never feel too far from crazy these days. I am beginning to expect much higher bills from laundering cloth diapers, food, and heating costs.

DD1 no longer wakes crying at night because the lights are off so I may just try to keep them off from now on.

Thank you @Angela273 for the clothing tip. Have you ever sold maternity clothes?
    I have, but I didn't get much money for them. I bought nearly all of my maternity clothes brand new. I sold some for about $5 each, others for only $3...which I regretted for those fancy shirts. I've only sold them at our big garage sale, I haven't posted them for sale on our local garage sale Facebook groups. From what I've seen, maternity clothes don't sell that well.
    Last edited by Angela273; Tue, Jan 17th, 2017 at 05:28 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    You are probably right Barbis, I haven't really had a good look at the prices in the pharmacy, I know my doctor told me it was the best place to buy vitamins. I am glad you could find a deal on the allergy meds. I guess for me it is the whole experience I hate, ours is packed all the time and the staff are miserable most of the time.
    I agree the experience is what I hate as well and that I can never find parking.

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information