User Tag List

Page 804 of 1957 FirstFirst ... 304 704 754 794 802 803 804 805 806 814 854 904 1304 1804 ... LastLast
Results 12,046 to 12,060 of 29349
Like Tree118512Likes

Thread: Chat-a-Thon 2017-18 Thread!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Story-time!!

So here's a weird story: I had a large jade plant that I gave away last fall, but I had planted a few leaves which are growing, but because it was moved out of sight as Christmas decorations took over, I hadn't watered it since well before Christmas.
    I just picked it up yesterday thinking I'd have to just put it outside, the soil had shrunk, bone-dry of course, and I figured I'd just take it outside. But!!
    I took a closer look at it, and there at the top, were 3 tiny yellow flowers!!
    My large one never flowered, and here this one long spindly, leggy stick, gives me 3 flowers?!

Okay, I've had enough weirdly wonderful things happen over my fairly long life, so my first thought: that's my Mom, who loved all her houseplants!, telling me that she, my Dad and my Brother were well...still around! Which if course I know, but a dehydrated, ignored plant giving me 3 cute little flowers?!
    In any event, she's a survivor, so I watered her, propped her up, removed all her dead leaves, and I'll propagate it a few times again.
    But....can you imagine?!
    @Lynn49 your are superstitious like I am .I also read inio every dreams , and sign as though my Relatives are trying to tell me something. Especially when I dream my mother-in-law . So you are not alone
    Natalka, Lynn49, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Ouch. That's all I have to say. Five minutes cleaning my vehicle. Fingers so cold I couldn't move them. Now I get why my furnace has not turned off all weekend. Hydro bill should be good. @walkonby , I hope your furnace guy gets there soon.
    @GoJays I didn't leave the house since Friday and I keep whinning to my DH he needs to quit smoking because he has to go out to smoke Everytime he has the urge to do so in this freezing temps but it's falling on deaf ears. Stay warm
    Natalka, Lynn49, GoJays and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@danger_dan it's too cold to be out . Hooe your Lady don't have to be too long out and she has a thermos with some hot beverages.
    Natalka, Lynn49, GoJays and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by flemeth View Post
    @Lynn49 your are superstitious like I am .I also read inio every dreams , and sign as though my Relatives are trying to tell me something. Especially when I dream my mother-in-law . So you are not alone
    ....more "spiritualist" than superstitious, @flemeth , but I know what you meant, and don't doubt those dreams, particularly if they're "vivid"...dreams you remember so accurately...when you consider them, know that everything in your dreams is "you" except for people you absolutely recognize. You'll get a whole new perspective on them.
    Natalka and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by flemeth View Post
    @GoJays I didn't leave the house since Friday and I keep whinning to my DH he needs to quit smoking because he has to go out to smoke Everytime he has the urge to do so in this freezing temps but it's falling on deaf ears. Stay warm
    You too @flemeth . IF you don't have to go out, the only thing you can do is hunker down and wait til it's over. Regarding the smoking, my friend is the same way. She keeps saying that when the weather gets very cold she will stop going out but she never does. I quit many, many years ago - I guess it's been about 20 years now - and I can't understand why it's so difficult for some people. For me, one day I just decided that I'd had enough so I smoked the last one and never bought another pack again. I haven't had another once since and, in fact, the smell really bothers me now. If someone is driving in the car ahead of me in stop and go traffic and they're smoking, I can usually smell it. Weird, eh?
    Natalka, Silk, Lynn49 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Lynn49, walkonby and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Natalka, Silk, Lynn49 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning, lovelies!

I come to you from a different location today! I have been moved down a floor. Where I was they got people from emerg, then move them off to an appropriate area.
    So I am in a very old part of the hospital, in a room for two, but I got the window with a decent view.

Very interesting roomie, a man ten years older than me and a very cool dude. He loves to talk and I already know more about his family than I would care to, lol! He had warned me to not be scared when his son came by, that he is six foot nine and almost 400 pounds - and wears colours. Well, I met said son last evening and he is very nice. How can you be scared of someone named Jamie?

Husband came to visit in the evening to bring me supper and help put my stuff away. It was so sweet, he had the container of food all wrapped up in a big towel, so it was still hot for me. He had made sarma, and it was delicious. Milan had been to visit me in the aft, then he went to our house for supper.

I had the best sleep last night, so cool! I have just told them to keep my nighttime cocktail the same, since something is working, and I am so glad of it!

I sure hope this morning on the ward is indicative of how it is always. I was given a basin for a wash right after breakfast, nurse was there right away to do what she had to do with a med, then put my stockings on. All before 10! Then the Dr came to see me.

So now my time is my own, until physio comes. I have some exercises to do, for my back, feet, and hamstrings. The a.m. pain meds have kicked in, so that's good. My left leg was quite bad this morning.

Sorry this was so long!

@Lynn49 - how amazing about your plant! I have a nice who grows only succulents, and something similar happened with one of hers before Christmas.

@avoncallingu - girl, you need to take things easier and slower!

@flemeth - hope you are doing okay after all you have been through.

Enjoy what the day brings you, everyone. Stay warm!

@walkonby - sure have been thinking of you and your no heat predicament.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@Natalka , wow seems everything is picking up for you! I hope they keep you right where you are so you can walk right out of there when the time comes!
    As to succulents, I do love them and they fit with my fairly casual plant-keeping skills, but boy, that jade plant took off! What concerns me is that the only window that I can actually put them near is the livingroom which faces east and of course only gets morning sun, WHEN it's sunny. I'm going to have to do more reading up about them and when it's nicer here I'll head out for more appropriate soil for this spindly jade, and find a bigger pot downstairs. It's so weird, that my large jade never gave me so much as a hint of flowering, yet this abused, neglected one sprouts 3 flowers! My DH said it's because it's trying to survive...hmph. It's because she loves me!
    Hope everything continues to go your way there!
    Btw...what's the difference between sarma and holubtsi?

Toodles!!
    Natalka, walkonby and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Natalka, Silk, Lynn49 and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@Natalka I am almost back to myself. Thanks for asking. I am glad you are in a room for 2. It will give you more privacy I hope . That was very sweet of your DH to try a keep the food hot you are a lucky lady. Maybe your room mate will make the time goes by quickly with all his talking. Hope as the day progresses it gets better and better
    Natalka, Silk and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    I was waiting for the running dog pic, lol, but the truth is...THAT'S the truth! Hahahaha...love it!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

@Lynn49

For sarma, the filling is mostly ground meat, with some rice, onions, seasonings. It's traditionally wrapped in sour cabbage leaves, then they are boiled, tomato paste added.

For us, buying a head of sour cabbage is really expensive, so we have adapted by making the meat rolls, boiling them, then adding good quality sauerkraut to the broth. It's worked out great.

So I had physio with an occupational therapist as well as a physiotherapist. I did pretty well, was very happy I was able to do most of the stands on my own, and took some steps. It was exhausting, but felt good.
    @avoncallingu - you are right, his talking does help the time go faster. I just have to uh-huh every once in a while.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hello folks! A friend came over this afternoon. She bought boxes, tape and paper for me and then packed up a bunch of boxes and also took away things that I am donating to Value Village or the Mennonite Relief Store and also took out my recycling. I am blessed.

Then I went down to get my mail. What a lovely surprise! I received a birthday package from another dear friend. Very sweet headache pack and a lovely scarf!!! Again, I am blessed.

I will be going to a meditation group this evening. I can use some "no thinking" time.

I know what you mean about cigarette smoke, @GoJays . I grew up in a smoking home. I guess that has contributed to my asthma. My mum had an "incident" with heart palpitations one morning after she had had 3 cigarettes and no breakfast. She quit and never smoked again.

My dad, on the other hand, died of lung cancer. I wish that smokers, especially young ones, could spend time at a hospital sitting with folks who never gave up and were in their last days. But would it have an impact EVEN THEN on dedicated smokers? Even my mother, who had given up smoking way back then wound up with COPD.

Well, speaking of "no thinking," I think I am going to rest for a while.

Take care!
    Silk, Lynn49 and walkonby like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    ....more "spiritualist" than superstitious, @flemeth , but I know what you meant, and don't doubt those dreams, particularly if they're "vivid"...dreams you remember so accurately...when you consider them, know that everything in your dreams is "you" except for people you absolutely recognize. You'll get a whole new perspective on them.
    @Lynn49 I got all choked up about your plant story with the " Monty Python-esque twist of " I'm not quite dead yet! " to it.
    I must remind you of that crazy dream I had where I screamed out in my sleep to
    someone(??) to " RELAX! It's only dandruff! ".
    After waking me up to tell me what I shouted in my sleep DH said to me a few times that day " so...what was the dandruff crisis all about ? 'We'll never know I guess.

So furnace update! The technician left about 1.5 hrs ago. All is well and toasty warm again in here, Hooray.
    The parts ordered did have a slight hitch to them though.
    The first tech guy came, inspected and ordered the " part " we needed, then a 2nd tech guy was called to install it ( once it arrived ) and he asked us where the " other parts " were?
    So...turns out this thing we needed fixed had like 4 or 5 pieces to it...so there was one extra day delay after the tech #2 guy ordered the remaining parts. Again the " wait for them to arrive " thing.

But then the very same lovely tech #2 guy insisted on coming back to do the install himself instead of having us call and get a tech #3 for this. What a pro!! Thanks Clayton!

Today flew by fast for me. Physio and chiro and some gabbing ate up the morning, a small grocery shop afterwards and some light home duties....no tv time though.....wah!!!
    I feel a nap coming on so maybe I'll surrender to that.
    Warner temps coming tomorrow they say!!
    Last edited by walkonby; Mon, Jan 21st, 2019 at 06:11 PM.
    Natalka, Silk, Lynn49 and 1 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Thread Information