User Tag List

Page 1588 of 1956 FirstFirst ... 588 1088 1488 1538 1578 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1598 1638 1688 ... LastLast
Results 23,806 to 23,820 of 29327
Like Tree118471Likes

Thread: Chat-a-Thon 2017-18 Thread!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@walkonby , love cider, you'll be all set for Christmas!

We just had quite the storm! Wow, sideways rain, thunder...my friend's fence came down, a tree hit her neighbour's car, in Elliot Lake, no power...we skated through!
    GoJays and walkonby like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Kudos to my DS for gathering apples for me to juice later on tonight.
    He filled a 13 Litre cooler.Attachment 369809
    Those look delicious. I also picked 35lbs, today. Have no idea how I am going to eat them all.
    walkonby likes this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    Those look delicious. I also picked 35lbs, today. Have no idea how I am going to eat them all.
    Peel, (or not) cut, sprinkle with a little lemon juice, slip them into freezer bags for winter treats. You can also flash freeze them (freeze them separately on parchment) then slip them into bags; this way you can take out as many as you need for whatever you're making.
    walkonby and HermanH like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Natalka and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Lynn49 and walkonby like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@HermanH it could take a while for you to to get through that many just eating them as is, and personally I found baking up the few apple related desserts used less apples than what I had expected......so if you'd prefer your apples to be out of sight and mind before they go bad I recommend making apple juice or apple cider.....but a word of caution wrt the yield in the end.

We used just 10 apples that had been picked prior to that cooler full for the cider. Added water, sugar and spices and after 3+ hours on the stove it gave us just 7 cups of cider.

For the juicing DS and I washed, cored and halved that entire cooler full. The Breville Juicer did it's magic and the end result was just 6 cups of juice?? How is that right?
    Oh sure, it's pure all natural, pesticide free but 6 cups!?
    There was a disappointing hrmph about that from us, but in the end we agreed the taste of both the cider and the juice were noticeably exceptional. Very different from any commercial product we've ever had.

So have fun with your crop!
    Last edited by walkonby; Thu, Aug 12th, 2021 at 04:43 AM.
    Lynn49 and HermanH like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good morning earlier birds and the others too!!! How are you doing?Hoping everyone is ok Me I am ok .It will probably rain today cannot wait because the last days where extremely humid and hot and dry in QC
    Enjoy your day to wathever you have to do lol!!!!
    For those wondering dad is doing great ...but restarted to smoke...unfortunnatly....but he is on a quitting program of patchs,gums,and vaporisator...I have hope..wish him luck..extremely hard he never had quitting before just when he was in hospital and he smoke since he is a teenager ..lol
    Natalka, Lynn49 and walkonby like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Peel, (or not) cut, sprinkle with a little lemon juice, slip them into freezer bags for winter treats. You can also flash freeze them (freeze them separately on parchment) then slip them into bags; this way you can take out as many as you need for whatever you're making.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    @HermanH it could take a while for you to to get through that many just eating them as is, and personally I found baking up the few apple related desserts used less apples than what I had expected......so if you'd prefer your apples to be out of sight and mind before they go bad I recommend making apple juice or apple cider.....but a word of caution wrt the yield in the end.

We used just 10 apples that had been picked prior to that cooler full for the cider. Added water, sugar and spices and after 3+ hours on the stove it gave us just 7 cups of cider.

For the juicing DS and I washed, cored and halved that entire cooler full. The Breville Juicer did it's magic and the end result was just 6 cups of juice?? How is that right?
    Oh sure, it's pure all natural, pesticide free but 6 cups!?
    There was a disappointing hrmph about that from us, but in the end we agreed the taste of both the cider and the juice were noticeably exceptional. Very different from any commercial product we've ever had.
    Thanks for all the helpful ideas. A neighbour, to whom I was trying unload some apples, also commented that she lives alone and no longer bothers to make tomato or apple sauce anymore because it just isn't worth her time and effort for the results, when a jar of sauce goes for about $1/litre. All the time, energy, and sugar needed to make cider or sauce just does not equate. I simply hate walking past trees laden with delicious fruit and watch them go to waste because no one can eat them quickly enough. A few years ago, I made 20+ litres of apple sauce and ate them all winter until the spring. They took up most of my freezer space.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for all the helpful ideas. A neighbour, to whom I was trying unload some apples, also commented that she lives alone and no longer bothers to make tomato or apple sauce anymore because it just isn't worth her time and effort for the results, when a jar of sauce goes for about $1/litre. All the time, energy, and sugar needed to make cider or sauce just does not equate. I simply hate walking past trees laden with delicious fruit and watch them go to waste because no one can eat them quickly enough. A few years ago, I made 20+ litres of apple sauce and ate them all winter until the spring. They took up most of my freezer space.
    Just a thought, @HermanH , if you have any excess, you can donate them to your local food kitchen; I'm sure they'd appreciate some fresh fruit!
    walkonby and HermanH like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That same year, I picked closed to 300lb from a single tree and had no one who could accept them. I gave lots to a local church/re-distribution drive, but they told me, "No More!", because they couldn't give them away, either.

I think that even local food banks get overwhelmed, because all the fruit generally ripens at the same time. What a shame.
    Lynn49 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Natalka, Lynn49 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Skippy, Lynn49 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Good morning!

Off to the island, picking up GS at 9-ish, the kids will be off to North Bay to meet up with some 10 other couples for a weekend of golf. I'm so happy that we're all in for a hot, sunny weekend...the way August should be!

Take care, everyone, have a lovely weekend!
    Natalka and walkonby like this.

Thread Information