• 5 Post By Lynn49
  • 3 Post By mulock
  • 5 Post By GatineauGirl
  • 1 Post By dededi
  • 2 Post By FallenPixels
  • 3 Post By Lynn49
  • 1 Post By barbis9
  • 1 Post By GatineauGirl

Thread: A call for lower duties and taxes on cross-border purchaces! Petition to gov't.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Canada’s customs laws make it difficult for eBay users to buy and sell across borders. Our “de minimis threshold” is set at $20, which means we’re responsible for paying duties and taxes on international purchases worth more than $20. Our threshold -- set in the 1980’s -- is out of step internationally: the US threshold is US$800!

Canada’s low de minimis threshold makes shopping more expensive and creates red tape for entrepreneurs. It also costs taxpayers money because the government spends more to enforce the law than it actually collects at the border. Learn more.
    eBay Canada believes that our laws should reduce burdens on consumers, entrepreneurs, and taxpayers. If you agree, please sign our letter to Finance Minister Bill Morneau.
    Participation is easy. Together, we can make a difference.

http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/petiti...imis-threshold
    This thread is currently associated with: Ebay

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Received that email from eBay Canada, signed it and sent.
    Lynn49, barbis9 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Canada’s customs laws make it difficult for eBay users to buy and sell across borders. Our “de minimis threshold” is set at $20, which means we’re responsible for paying duties and taxes on international purchases worth more than $20. Our threshold -- set in the 1980’s -- is out of step internationally: the US threshold is US$800!

Canada’s low de minimis threshold makes shopping more expensive and creates red tape for entrepreneurs. It also costs taxpayers money because the government spends more to enforce the law than it actually collects at the border. Learn more.
    eBay Canada believes that our laws should reduce burdens on consumers, entrepreneurs, and taxpayers. If you agree, please sign our letter to Finance Minister Bill Morneau.
    Participation is easy. Together, we can make a difference.

http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/petiti...imis-threshold
    Signed and sent as well. That $20 limit is why I don't buy ANYTHING from the US. I hope this petition is successful. I have given up on Ebay because the stuff from China seems to get "lost in transit" much more frequently than it used to, or it breaks, or the item is misrepresented in Ebay's description. I don't trust the process anymore because I've been burnt too many times.
    ROMEO, mulock, Lynn49 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My DDS buy on Ebay all the time and are going to sign the petition.
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The govt have very little interest in raising the limit as they collect the HST and want to encourage us to buy in Canada.
    There is another one doing the rounds to at least tie the amount to the US exchange since it effectively lower than when set
    ex0ticb3lla and barbis9 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    The govt have very little interest in raising the limit as they collect the HST and want to encourage us to buy in Canada.
    There is another one doing the rounds to at least tie the amount to the US exchange since it effectively lower than when set
    Yes, I absolutely realized that they want us to buy Canadian...but until they provide us with the selection AND prices they have in the US, I tend to keep my money where it is: in the bank. Ah, well...nothing ventured, nothing gained....
    barbis9, Poirot and GatineauGirl like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I wish the postage was less on items from ebay as well.
    GatineauGirl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Yes, I absolutely realized that they want us to buy Canadian...but until they provide us with the selection AND prices they have in the US, I tend to keep my money where it is: in the bank. Ah, well...nothing ventured, nothing gained....
    barbis9 likes this.

Thread Information