Like Tree51Likes

Thread: QOTD - Mon Jan 16th - Grocery Shopping

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

It is Monday, so a new Question of the Day because I am a weekend slacker

Name:  grocery store aisle.JPG
Views: 312
Size:  49.0 KB

Where do you do most of your grocery shopping?
    Are you store loyal or do you shop around?
    Do you make a shopping list (and remember to bring it haha)?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    danger_dan likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I am not at all store loyal and my shopping depends a lot on flyers. If I can get enough stuff at one store to make it worthwhile, I shop there otherwise I price-match at No Frills.

A typical week is Nations Fresh Foods for produce, meat and bread and No Frills but most of the grocery stores make the rotation.

This week, I am heading to Metro for cat food because of the Air Miles promo and Foodland for the Schneiders/Maple Leaf promo so an unusual week and will just pick up stuff there rather than fight cashiers over price-matches
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

We aren't loyal to any grocery store in particular. We shop where it is convenience and economical.
    We typically only add items to the shopping list that are out of the usual shopping items. We know the usual items that are always on the list.
    beckie.c likes this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

My usual stops are Save on Foods, Co-op and Costco. I have an EDO (earned day off) every other Friday, so that is my Grocery Shop/Errand day. I'm trying hard to lower our grocery bill so I've been meal planning and sticking to a list. I usually remember the list, but its my cloth produce and grocery bags I often have run back into the house for.
    ROMEO, lecale, danger_dan and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

My usual stores are Safeway and RCSS, and yes I do use a list and remember to bring it. I use all the coupons and purchase sale items as much as possible. I believe that 95% of the time, I am doing the best job I can in keeping my bill as low as possible.
    ROMEO, GoJays, lecale and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

DH does all the grocery shopping, or has up to now when I occasionally join him, but it exhausts me too much to traipse around a store for very long. We live very near a FB, so if we need anything he either drives or walks over....we have staples in the house but if we want to make something up for dinner, he's fine for hopping in the van to pick up one or two things we may need. For a large shop, he price matches flyers at RCSS.
    ROMEO, lecale, danger_dan and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

RCSS is my main store since it is close to me and large. I try to price match what I can there since I use my PC World Elite MasterCard and receive 3% in points. I hit No Frills hoping to get some good 50% off deals. Very small store so hard to do all shopping there. I will go to Food Basics if it is an item I can't price match. Rarely went to Foodland but they seem to have some good deals sometimes and last year they had a promo Buy a $150 GC get 200 Airmiles. So I did that twice (the 2nd time using the Gift card to pay for the 2nd gift card ) So I use that gift card for deals

Always write a list. Don't always remember to bring it with me.
    ROMEO, lecale, danger_dan and 1 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used to go to whatever store that was convenient on my way home. Love Costco's rebate card and gas prices.

However, something changed big time in recent months....
    • PC Plus Point program. 40% of the stuff they discount is what I want to buy anyways. I find it's also good at making suggestions I may want to explore.
    • 30% near expiry items at Superstore. Pork, Beef, Chicken, and some fruits/veggies are clearly marked for me to grab. Yah some stuff looks nasty on their clearance rack.... but other items have been OK. Makes the decision "what's for dinner" easier as I grab what's been discounted.
    ROMEO, lecale, danger_dan and 3 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I am semi-store loyal.

Last year my split was:

27% Zehrs
    22% SDM
    21% Walmart
    19% Food Basics
    7% No Frills
    4% Freshco

I made a conscious effort to avoid the pricier stores, but meat/poultry/fish deals and milk deals (and points) put Zehrs and SDM respectively at the top of the list. I am sort of surprised at how this turned out, because I really like Food Basics and I thought it would turn out to be my top store. I mostly buy a lot of vegetables/fruit there though and they are cheaper than meat/dairy.

List? lol I always take a printed spreadsheet with and quantities, prices, coupons, CO51 notes for each store with me. If I don't have it I don't know what the heck I am doing and have to go back and get it. No phone: I'll survive. No list: where's my head???
    Lynn49, danger_dan and beckie.c like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Where do you do most of your grocery shopping?

Most at Sobeys, some at Co-op, once in a while at Extra Foods.

Are you store loyal or do you shop around?
    Do you make a shopping list (and remember to bring it haha)?

When the flyers come out, I make a master shopping list, and decide from there where and what to buy.
    And for each shopping trip, yes I make a shopping list and match the coupons with it.
    lecale and danger_dan like this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

While I'm shopping for my parents at home, most of the shopping is done at RCSS Whitby and Walmart (either Ajax or North Whitby). PM'ing anyone else who has a good deal for the given week. I'll shop around from time to time, especially if there is a store that has a better PM policy (Ex. RCSS doesn't have much generic chicken left, mainly their Blue Menu sorta stuff, so for some chicken I'll go to Freshco). I'll normally make a shopping list based on that particular weeks coupon/savings deal, but will not normally have a great list for everything else put in place

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

RCSS for sure. They normally have a excess of just about every item. They limit the pm to 4 and to limited stores but there isn't that much I can do about it. I find that price matching and coupons are easier at the self scan if you are not doing a full grocery shopping. The customer service girl that works Saturday morning has been there along time so if I'm not sure if a pm is going to work I ask her first and she will clear it for me so there is no dispute when I am actually purchasing the items.

Walmart in my opinion, at least with my experiences with the one near me is horrible. Its too bad that I really do not like the store because it is a lot closer for me for me to stop on my drive home, but RCSS is a lot closer if I'm already at home.

No frills is another favorite. The Saturday morning girls on cash are great. Small store so what you see on the self is what they have unless they just had a truck unload and have not put the items on the shelf yet. Shortly after opening the meat person is always marking down the last day for sale things (my fav especially if I can match it with pc points) My wife really does not like to pm there on a week day morning because most of the cashiers seem to be a bit older (like me and my wife) and have called the head person in the back somewhere (the store is not big enough to have a full time customer service person on the floor). After the person oks the pm and coupons the cashier has actually told my wife that it is not fair that she is getting such a good deal

I was going to delete my whole post because it is to long but I spent too much time typing it
    lecale, danger_dan and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Our small city has 3 grocery stores and a small super Wal-Mary. I check flyers, but do most of my grocery shopping at Sobeys. I like their weekly electronic personalized Air Miles offers which I can combine with their in store Air Miles offers. I also get 20x AM on my prescriptions, which applies to the full amount before drug coverages. I also shop at No Frills with PC Plus and pm'ing. I always try to use coupons and rebate apps on things that we would normally buy anyway. My other options are CO-OP and Wal-Mart. CO-OP is across town from where we live. I only go there for certain sale items, or else I'll try to pm elsewhere.

As for my list, I keep an electronic one in the notes on my phone. I have it sorted by store. I ad sale items to it each week. I also keep certain things on the list to remind me to keep an eye out for it because we are running low. For example, Sobeys is the only store in town that carries the brand of popcorn seasoning that we like. I buy certain CO-OP brand items such as hash browns, canned fruit, and canned mushrooms.
    Last edited by Angela273; Mon, Jan 16th, 2017 at 05:43 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There are two meat market stores that we shop at biweekly. Almost always lower costs on meat and produce (and it's local sources as well.) As for the grocery stores, it's mainly RASS, NF and Wal-Mart.
    Angela273 and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

I would say a good 90% of my grocery shopping is from RCSS. It's a mandatory store each week haha. With the PC points, good coupon policy, price matching, and also a family member 10% discount... not to mention their wide variety of products and produce/meat is good quality.

I will visit other stores if there is a store promotion like the Metro AM redemptions or SDM optimum point coupons/redemptions but those are rare.
    Angela273 and danger_dan like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information