User Tag List

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree2287Likes

Thread: February frugal chatter-all welcome!!!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

OMG, I am so happy to be back. I would like to say I was off on an adventure, but noooo. I have been locked out of my account for at least two weeks. I changed my email address as we are switching to a new provider (saving 80.00 a month) and that cause some issue with my SC account and I felt Alice through the looking glass. I could see all the great stuff you were doing but I could not comment or like. It took multiple emails to SC to get someone's attention and be set free. I was starting to going into withdrawal. Whew now that's over I can catch up and feel sane again.
    Natalka, ROMEO, Tweets77 and 9 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Happy to see you back Lilo.

I'll need to do some random shopping this weekend, I'll post the highlights of my trips. I have another 1hr massage booked tomorrow with a different girl, 75% reimbursement with dh's coverage. I still have daily migraines and jaw pain, it really sucks and I'm hoping the massage helps. Dh should take our son skating tomorrow, might get the twins outside too.

Sunday afternoon Dh and I are going to a movie date. We're bringing the kids to dh's co-worker's house, she has two daughters that are about old enough to start babysitting. The kids should have a blast, they have met before and babysat our son one other time.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Feb 10th, 2017 at 08:24 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well made it thru 3 days of watching ashlyn this week -today we took her to mcdonalds for breakfast -pancakes as a treat ,then she played in the playground and it was all little girls ages 2 and 3 -she loved it
    -no some me time this weekend -may hit up shoppers for the redemption on sat or sunday

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Been catching up on all your adventures, challenges and posts. It has been like Never-Never Land for me since my dh passed away 2 weeks ago. I got my doggie back last Friday as she had been living with my friend since October as she couldn't deal with the constant traffic of drs, nurses and personal care workers. So this past week I got her vaccinations up to date, got her licence and got her groomed.
    I have accomplished a lot of paperwork but some has confounded me.
    My emotions are raw and I cry easily which is out of character as I am not a crier.
    I have been very lucky to have wonderful friends who have been providing me with " pop-in-the-oven" meals. I am not much of a cook- dh was the cook until a few months ago when he just couldn't handle it any more. He also did the shopping for groceries most of the time.

So I read your posts with great interest! You are my gold standard for shopping and meal-planning!

I am trying to have family visit to choose things of his that they could use or something which reminds them of him. His kids took home with them things that they particularly wanted.

I managed to return all the medications and medical equipment that he used. I am determined to clean away any signs of his final struggles and work on remembering his happier times.

So I must get caught up with you. You always point me towards deals which will be even more important now.

I'm not even sure how many SDM points I have-how bad is that!!!! I have not yet mastered the " personal points-apps thing because I don't have a cell-phone that generates it's own WIFI connection.

So I am going to be an eagle eye for advice.

Enjoy your weekends! The Temps are up and down like the thermometer is broken! We've managed to miss the ice-storms, thank heavens!
    Angela273, JadeAngel, Ciel and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Been catching up on all your adventures, challenges and posts. It has been like Never-Never Land for me since my dh passed away 2 weeks ago. I got my doggie back last Friday as she had been living with my friend since October as she couldn't deal with the constant traffic of drs, nurses and personal care workers. So this past week I got her vaccinations up to date, got her licence and got her groomed.
    My emotions are raw and I cry easily which is out of character as I am not a crier.
    I have been very lucky to have wonderful friends who have been providing me with " pop-in-the-oven" meals. I am not much of a cook- dh was the cook until a few months ago when he just couldn't handle it any more. He also did the shopping for groceries most of the time.

So I read your posts with great interest! You are my gold standard for shopping and meal-planning!

I am trying to have family visit to choose things of his that they could use or something which reminds them of him. His kids took home with them things that they particularly wanted.

I managed to return all the medications and medical equipment that he used. I am determined to clean away any signs of his final struggles and work on remembering his happier times.

So I must get caught up with you. You always point me towards deals which will be even more important now.

I'm not even sure how many SDM points I have-how bad is that!!!! I have not yet mastered the " personal points-apps thing because I don't have a cell-phone that generates it's own WIFI connection.

Enjoy your weekends! The Temps are up and down like the thermometer is broken! We've managed to miss the ice-storms, thank heavens!
    @avoncallingu

You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine. I send you hugs. We are here for you as you adjust to the changes in your life. For when you need someone to a tell story to or just need to know where a good price for cheese is.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 8.15.22 AM.png
Views: 124
Size:  98.1 KB

So here is the news as promised. I toyed with blurring out our monthly income, but then, I felt like that is what people do. They hide their finances and are dishonest with themselves and others. Those are opposite to my goals moving forward.

We are currently living on about $5500 a month. We had $1700 extra income in January from a tax reassessment and "slush" moved from 2016 budget. Slush is the black or the red left over from the year. When I did my spreadsheet and compared it to our bank accounts, we had some extra. Normally it is red. But either red or black stresses me out because I feel like I am missing something...why isn't it balanced. This is what EveryDollar is eliminating for me. I am using the free version (in true SC style).

Not including the extra income, which was assigned to specific savings goals like home renovations (remember the window replacement I am longing for?), we saved an extra $958 dollars this month. And I sold $100 worth of crap (as some of you like to say to make me giggle!)

Where did this money come from? Sticking to the budget. SC savvy techniques: e.g. We cashed in $250 worth of Costco Cashback which relaxed our budget in other areas. I know I sounds like a sales agent...but I am not. The budget app has worked for us. We have been waiting for a tool or an "a-ha" moment to reach this goal. We have it.

This brings me back to why I decided to be transparent. Based on this information, as a two income family, we are earning about $65,000 annually after deductions. DH is full-time, and I am half-time (well getting paid half-time salary anyway). Some of you are making more, some of you are making less. We all have different costs. I hope my journey will encourage some of you toward your own financial goals. Our only debt is mortgage right now and we have investments too. I am feeling really proud. Part of this pride is gratitude in thanks to my friends on this site, sharing their own journey.

Happy Saving!!!
    Last edited by Granger; Sat, Feb 11th, 2017 at 08:44 AM.
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Avon-glad you are back. If you receive emails from Shoppers you can click to load and see your pts-or you can have your card scanned at the store or see your account online (set up a password if you don't have one) to see your balance-this weekend is a bonus redemption and I have just enough so I think I will partake. I can understand that your emotions are raw and that you cry easily-you have been through so much with your DH's illness. I think over time you will regain your equilibrium but this is a huge change for anyone. Hugs.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Sat, Feb 11th, 2017 at 10:10 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Avoncallingu I'm happy to see you pop in. I'm glad that you have friends to help with meals right now. I like your approach to things, remembering the better times and having family pick items for themselves.

It's not nearly the same thing, but my sister's dad died recently. He chose not to be involved in her life throughout the years, but I knew him when I was young. She was his youngest child. He lived to an old age.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

And some details for those of you who may ask...

The columns only show this month's savings...there is more in each fund from previous efforts. You can click on the blue column to toggle between Spent and Remaining. This is January's savings budget only...and it only shows the extra I saved. If I click on each fund, I can see the balance. Because January was my first month, the balance does not show in remaining. The total balance does show in February.

You give 18% of your budget away? Yes. We choose to tithe off of gross income. This money goes to our place of worship who uses it for building, salary, program and mission work. We believe God asks this of us in the Bible and practise this discipline. We believe spiritual health and work is important. Others who also believe this and tithe, pay my husband's salary...so practice what you preach. The other portion of the gifts is indeed gifts, which was about $350 last month. This includes other charitable donations, acts of kindness or birthdays, etc.
    -Hermione Granger

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

**hugs** Avon
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

That is amazing Granger, good work on the savings.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    OMG, I am so happy to be back. I would like to say I was off on an adventure, but noooo. I have been locked out of my account for at least two weeks. I changed my email address as we are switching to a new provider (saving 80.00 a month) and that cause some issue with my SC account and I felt Alice through the looking glass. I could see all the great stuff you were doing but I could not comment or like. It took multiple emails to SC to get someone's attention and be set free. I was starting to going into withdrawal. Whew now that's over I can catch up and feel sane again.
    Glad you're back, $80 in month in savings that's fantastic
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Happy to see you back Lilo.

I'll need to do some random shopping this weekend, I'll post the highlights of my trips. I have another 1hr massage booked tomorrow with a different girl, 75% reimbursement with dh's coverage. I still have daily migraines and jaw pain, it really sucks and I'm hoping the massage helps. Dh should take our son skating tomorrow, might get the twins outside too.

Sunday afternoon Dh and I are going to a movie date. We're bringing the kids to dh's co-worker's house, she has two daughters that are about old enough to start babysitting. The kids should have a blast, they have met before and babysat our son one other time.
    I don't know if you are able to do chiropractor because of your injuries but if it's an option, I would strongly suggest looking into it and going for a talk session. Many people have gotten help with their migraines with chiropractor services, you could call your insurer and see how much would be covered, it's generally more than massage therapy, just a thought.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post

@avoncallingu I'm so sorry for the loss of your cherished husband.

I'm glad you got your dog back, they are great company and can act as possible distractions with walks and such.

Sharing stories and adventures of loved ones lost is also a good thing so please share stories and fond memories whenever you wish, we're all here for you.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 8.15.22 AM.png
Views: 124
Size:  98.1 KB

So here is the news as promised. I toyed with blurring out our monthly income, but then, I felt like that is what people do. They hide their finances and are dishonest with themselves and others. Those are opposite to my goals moving forward.
    @Granger thank you for sharing your financial journey with your frugal chatter friends.

I personally like seeing how people allocate their finances, it's gives others some inspiration and motivation.

Can't wait to see and hear as things progress along the way/years.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information