• 3 Post By Anna Michele
  • 6 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 4 Post By ticul
  • 3 Post By barbis9
  • 2 Post By anisa
  • 2 Post By jasperandchar
  • 3 Post By anisa
  • 3 Post By anisa

Thread: Have you purchased a New or Used car in the last 2 years???? If so please read!!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Good Morning everyone,

I'm sharing our recent experience with other fellow members who have purchased a new or used vehicle in the last 2 years.

We did a lot of research on the 2 vehicles which we were interested in purchasing which was great.....However our time would have been better spent researching what a registered dealership is and is not allowed to charge because the dealership scammed us and we had no idea until a few days after the purchase agreement.

In ONT, SK, AB, MB and QC there is a mandated all in one pricing which most people are not aware of. What does that mean well it means that when a vehicle is advertised in a newspaper, autotrader, sticker on the car window it must include all fees to be charged by the dealership. The only exceptions are licensing fees and tax.

If you recently in the last 2 years purchased a new or used vehicle in the provinces mentioned above pull out your sales agreement and have a long hard look.

Since I'm from ONT most of my links will be from OMVIC (Ontario Vehicle sales regulator).

Here is a link to what is included in all in pricing

NOW to give you an example because the wording is not always crystal clear

MSRP (car asking price) let's say the car is $19,000 (that's the advertised price, sticker price etc) this price must include the admin fees, etching ++++etc. The admin fees, etching and such are not to be added on top of the $19K.....hope that makes sense.
    https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/Consu...InPricing.aspx

All-In Pricing Protects Ontario Car Buyers
    All-in price advertising is the law! If an OMVIC-Registered Dealer advertises a price for a vehicle (new or used), the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act (MVDA) requires that the price include ALL fees and charges the dealer intends to collect.
    Note: HST and licensing do not have to be included in the price if the advertisement clearly and prominently indicates they are not included. Licensing refers to the actual cost of vehicle registration and plates – it cannot include extra fees added by the dealer.

What must be included in an all-in advertised price?

Examples of fees or charges that must be included in an advertised price include:

• Freight
    • PDI-PDE (pre-delivery inspection/expense)
    • Administration (Admin) fee(s)
    • Government levies (air tax, etc.)
    • OMVIC fee
    • Safety and e-test (unless the ad contains an "Unfit Vehicle" or "As-Is Vehicle" disclosure statement)

Further, if a dealer intends to charge for products or services they have pre-installed on a vehicle, those costs MUST also be included in the advertised price. Examples include:

• Nitrogen/tire protection package
    • Warranties
    • Security or theft deterrent products/services (etching, etc.)
    • Fuel

IMPORTANT NOTE: While dealers must include all fees and charges in an advertised price, these fees and charges must be listed separately and itemized on the bill of sale.

What is an advertisement?

An advertisement is any inducement to buy or lease a vehicle. This would include, but is not limited to ads:

• In print (newspapers, magazines, etc.)
    • On the internet (dealer website, online marketplace, etc.)
    • On social media
    • On radio or TV
    • On signs (including those in or on a vehicle)

Here are some links to news stories such as W5 and Gopublic

http://www.ctvnews.ca/2012-apa-w5-us...ation-1.796101

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tion-1.3766739

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tion-1.3774922

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...hips-1.3777055

http://www.canadianautoworld.ca/deal...-investigation

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/most-new-ca...rvey-1.2300369

If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to help in anyway that I can.

But please share this information with everyone you know because not many people are aware of the all in pricing.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Fri, Feb 10th, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
    anisa, ROMEO, mulock and 4 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Very interesting thank you for sharing I will keep this in mind my next purchase

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    barbis9, ticul and jasperandchar like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Thanks..I'm going to be in the market for another van soon.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Good info. Thank you..............................

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you as I was not aware of these changes.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

We just purchased a used van from a dealer this weekend, and thankfully they did everything as they should have.

Ken Shaw Toyota in Toronto

Also, the guy that finalizes the payment paperwork, that is supposed to up-sell you the extended warranty, salt protectant, etc. didn't give 2 poops whether we purchased the extras or not. He didn't try to persuade us one way or the other.

Very good experience all around
    jasperandchar and dededi like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    We just purchased a used van from a dealer this weekend, and thankfully they did everything as they should have.

Ken Shaw Toyota in Toronto

Also, the guy that finalizes the payment paperwork, that is supposed to up-sell you the extended warranty, salt protectant, etc. didn't give 2 poops whether we purchased the extras or not. He didn't try to persuade us one way or the other.

Very good experience all around
    Glad to hear you had a positive experience. Were you aware of the all in pricing @anisa ???
    dededi and Davetherave like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I was aware of the fact that they have to include all fees in the price they advertise.

Thankfully there was a feature on CBC ( I think) not that long ago.

Still, it is something we can forget when we are all caught up in the process of buying a vehicle, so the reminder is good. Thank you!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

We went to a Toyota dealer in Mississauga a few months back, we were buying a brand new car from them, had signed all the papers, but they had sold us a car that apparently didn't exist in stock in the color we wanted. The deal fell through.

They were so different to deal with. The financing guy was pushing SO hard to get us to buy extended warranty. He talked down to us, it was ridiculous. We are Toyota owners, have had our car for 8 years, it is a 13 year old car. We have had ZERO issues with it. We are very familliar with Toyota quality, and this guy was adamant that we purchase extended warranty.

The whole experience there was ridiculous, as they failed to provide the car we purchased, and then tried to get us to agree to a different car.

It was amazing that is was the same manufacturer, but 2 very different dealership experiences.
    R

Thread Information