• 5 Post By Silk
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 2 Post By Angela273
  • 1 Post By GoJays
  • 1 Post By Lynn49

Thread: PANCAKE/Shrove Tuesday 2017 - Feb. 28

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

This year Pancake Day takes place on Tuesday 28th February.

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Silk, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The name Shrove Tuesday comes from 'shrive', meaning absolution for sins by doing penance.

The day gets its name from the tradition of Christians trying to be 'shriven' before Lent. Christians would go to Confession, where they admit their sins to a priest and ask for absolution. A bell would be rung to call them to Confession, which was called the 'pancake bell'. It's still rung today.

In the US it's called Mardi Gras aka 'Fat Tuesday' in French mainly because we use up the fatty foods before Lent.
    Pancake Day itself came much later as a way of using up rich foods, like eggs, milk and sugar before the 40 days of fasting - Lent.

Silk, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Orthodox church calendar calls the Sunday before Lent Cheese Fare Sunday. Obviously a cue to have last chance at the dairy foods for those who intend to fast 42 days (I've not ever fasted that long. I will fast on Good Friday though).

Hamilton SCers-if you have last Friday's Spectator, look at the Too Good To Miss page-the first column lists all the pancake suppers and lunches tomorrow. Happened to read Friday paper during my library visit yesterday.
    Silk and Angela273 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Thanks Nat, for the reminder, and to both you and Ciel for the background info on Pancake Day. I learned something new

I love pancakes. I have a pancake maker that I got with HBC points years ago when Zellers was still around. It looks just like this:

I adore my little Pancake Factory - that's what it's called - and used to use it weekly but I don't make pancakes regularly anymore and keep forgetting about it when I do make them.

But I think I'll make pancakes for dinner on Tuesday

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Mon, Feb 27th, 2017 at 04:50 PM.
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Orthodox church calendar calls the Sunday before Lent Cheese Fare Sunday. Obviously a cue to have last chance at the dairy foods for those who intend to fast 42 days (I've not ever fasted that long. I will fast on Good Friday though).
    We are Ukrainian Catholic and do the longer fast as well. We try our best to comply with the days which are strict fast - strict abstinence, or simple abstinence - even though technically for health reasons both of us could be exempt.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Thank you for the reminder. If the kids sleep good tonight then I might try to make pancakes and bacon for breakfast tomorrow before our son goes to Pre-K for the morning.
    Natalka and Ciel like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

We don't fast but we do love our pancakes. Potatoes are ready to go for hash browns, not sure about bacon yet, although I do have several packages in the freezer. We'll see, it doesn't take long to defrost if I decide the family has earned bacon today
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    We don't fast but we do love our pancakes. Potatoes are ready to go for hash browns, not sure about bacon yet, although I do have several packages in the freezer. We'll see, it doesn't take long to defrost if I decide the family has earned bacon today
    Oh, @GoJays ...everything is better with bacon!!!

We don't fast at all, either, and I actually turned down pancakes when my DH offered to make me some this morning...what was I thinking??!! Oh yah.....summer..
    GoJays likes this.

Thread Information