Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By wendymac
  • 2 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Newfiescreech
  • 2 Post By TrueNorthTreasures
  • 3 Post By evanxl
  • 1 Post By TrueNorthTreasures
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: When are you starting your plants inside?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

I like to start them early, early so that I have good sized tomato, cuke, green pepper and other plants. Have people made plans yet as to when to get a jump on your Spring garden?
    This thread is currently associated with: Spring Shoes
    Ciel and Redneck Charger like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I have not started any plants yet but if I do, I tend to try to get flower seeds going and lettuce seeds (though lettuce does well in pot outside when the days being to be warm) in Jiffy Pots or takeout salad containers. I don't have a cold frame device outdoors which would be a great help and offer more area in which to start seeds. The living room gets great sunshine but only one table is high enough to catch the sun for seed growth.
    I was looking at the now yellowed parsley in the front narrow bed and thinking that it might be a good idea to plant seeds
    soon so new growth can begin. Basil too-once I get the regular version of seeds. The spicy herb seeds from last year I may scatter in the backyard in corners to see what comes up (and add some spice to grass cutting).

Dad's garlic from fall has been emerging from his garden patch. No idea if he's planting tomatoes (from nursery stock) or peppers and string beans. He plants too much and that becomes a problem of giving stuff away before it spoils.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Don't start anything wether it's flowers or veggies until after Easter.. Then it's to cold outside transplant in ground in Newfoundland until June 15 th
    Redneck Charger likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Be another month or so.... But looking forward to my horticultural meeting this Wednesday for the new year... Missed most of them last year when I broke my leg...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Within the past week, I started leeks, parsley, rosemary, and marigolds indoors, but things like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc will have to wait until until late March/early April.

Last year, I tried sowing some cold-hardy things* in milk jug containers against the south side of the house in late March/early April. It worked like a dream! It cleared up a lot of space in the house and I had transplants ready to put in the ground in late May/early June instead of having to direct-sow in June and having to wait another two weeks for germination.

(*kale, cabbage, broccoli, Swiss chard, parsley, pansies)
    nessa23 and dededi like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am planning to have some flowers and lettuce in my garden.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When starting seeds indoors, I noticed that amp-off is often a problem (mold/mildew that kills young seedlings), even when using clean pot, etc., The solution? Cinnamon! I have a jar of Cinnamon. I replaced the sprinkle top with a piece of nylon stretched tight... like the foot of pantyhose, etc., and hold on with an elastic. When I'm through planting a seed flat, pots, six-packs, I lightly dust each one with the cinnamon. Organic, natural to work every time! Will no slow, harm newly sprouted seeds of any kind!
    Colsgirl, nessa23 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I understand that's too early yet, but I am already preoccupied with this question as this year I planted my "home garden" (lettuce, basil, spinach, cabbages) for the first time. I am not going to keep it in house all the year, I guess April will be a right time to move outside. I also want to try tomatoes growing, but that has no sense without led grow lights, already checking reviews from https://smokeandbuzz.com/ on suitable models. Intense light can burn the plants out, a very week one won't let them grow .. I feel I need so much time to learn to manage all this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I can't start most things inside until the end of the month, but I have started rosemary, parsley, summer savoury (aready germinated!), marigolds, and a few kinds of leeks.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Herbs rep, @TrueNorthTreasures ! I was thinking to buy a rosemary plant from the produce department just to have a plant in the house but I'll wait for April to buy some seeds and start sowing into the ground (once I fix the dirt issues with some new soil).
    TrueNorthTreasures likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thank you, Ciel! I wish we lived closer, I would happily give you a rosemary plant in the summer!

I am pretty sure I have been driving my friends and family completely nuts talking about the seeds I want to start. Especially the tomatoes - I have lots of varieties to choose from but had to narrow it down to 10 - 12 because I don't have room for more. I started soaking the seeds yesterday and will put them in coir pellets on a heat mat once they germinate. Woo hoo!
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

At the moment we have fresh flowers.
    We also have a terrarium with air plants.

Thread Information