User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Costco membership price increase. June. Will you still get one?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

On the news this morning, Costco not doin' so hot so may raise their membership fee June 1.

What do you think about this? Still a good deal?
    Costco COST, -4.24% said late Thursday it will raise basic membership fees by $5 effective June 1. That means its “goldstar” (individual) membership, its business and business add-on members will pay an annual fee of $60, Costco said.
    Costco’s “executive” memberships, which cost more but offer 2% rewards on Costco purchases and other perks, will increase to $120 from $110. Costco rose the maximum annual 2% reward to $1,000 from $750.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/her...ost-2017-03-02
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My membership ends at the end of March and I am not renewing, but I made that decision before knowing about the membership price increase. Instead, 2 friends and I will buy 1 membership together (thus dividing the membership fee by 3) and go together, since the card member can brings two guests. We'll just subtotal the items all at the register.
    barbis9, Ciel, walkonby and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    My membership ends at the end of March and I am not renewing, but I made that decision before knowing about the membership price increase. Instead, 2 friends and I will buy 1 membership together (thus dividing the membership fee by 3) and go together, since the card member can brings two guests. We'll just subtotal the items all at the register.
    smart strategy
    mulock, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I normally give my brother about $20 when he goes to pay to renew. I don't even think it's worth that for me now. I haven't been there in at least two months. The only plus side for my brother is that the membership will be up in May so he'll beat the increase.
    mulock, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Thank you for the heads up. I would say we shop 6 times a year. I think it will still be worth it for us as we have their Credit Card and get between $200 and $300 cash back a year (we usually stock up there though). We use this card for purchases that are reimbursed to us as well as at Costco.

Every year I have bought my 2 girls bathing suits there for $14 a piece. They are specialty Speedos made for Costco. Similar with their leggings. The clothing I am able to buy there for the girls is quality for a low price too. My mom used to take me to a swim boutique and pay $60 for a Speedo. I am okay with an increase, especially since a location closer to me is about to open and save me some fuel money!
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Thank you for the heads up. I would say we shop 6 times a year. I think it will still be worth it for us as we have their Credit Card and get between $200 and $300 cash back a year (we usually stock up there though). We use this card for purchases that are reimbursed to us as well as at Costco.

Every year I have bought my 2 girls bathing suits there for $14 a piece. They are specialty Speedos made for Costco. Similar with their leggings. The clothing I am able to buy there for the girls is quality for a low price too. My mom used to take me to a swim boutique and pay $60 for a Speedo. I am okay with an increase, especially since a location closer to me is about to open and save me some fuel money!
    That's a big savings on Speedo.
    Just remembered we got 2 pairs of glasses with prescription and extras for a good price.
    JadeAngel, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Or you can get a member to buy a Costco gift card and you can shop anytime you want. I may do that when my membership expires later this year.
    mulock, Ciel, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

We will still purchase it. Costco is the best place for dog beds... Great Dane size beds are usually around $100 elsewhere and at Costco I can get them for $35. We buy a lot of pantry staples at Costco, and small appliances.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We will be renewing our membership, there pharmacy (over the counter meds I should mention, prescription we pick up local as a half hour drive is not worth it for every prescription) and clothing alone make it worth it for us.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

not renewing ours, we only visited like 3 times last year. will get our friends with membership to buy us gift card if we must go there.
    barbis9, Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Friends live in the US. They are Canadian. They checked Costco US for an over the counter medicine. It was something like $167. Costco Canada has the identical medication for $99. They stock up when the come to Canada.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

We will renew. I am one of the people that can stop in for just milk and leave and that alone saves me 3.00 a week over the grocery store. I have a list of Costco best prices/products and try to not get sucked in but with 2 teenage boys and one of them in rep sports its worth it for us. My parents cancelled their membership a few years ago so I will pick up stuff for my mom. Like the allergy meds that are as effective as name brand and are next to nothing in cost.
    barbis9, Ciel, GoJays and 1 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

The only thing I know my family has found is Costco US has a wider selection.

Personally we buy Allergy pills (200 for $18.99, can't pass that up), Probiotics, Multi Vitamins, their version of Advil Cold & Sinus and Robax. As well they regularly put Glucosamine on sale which Mom takes.

I will take a look in a few weeks when we go on vacation, our first stop will be Costco to buy food as we are staying in a Condo and will need food.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Friends live in the US. They are Canadian. They checked Costco US for an over the counter medicine. It was something like $167. Costco Canada has the identical medication for $99. They stock up when the come to Canada.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I'd have to drive for nearly an hour to get to my closest Costco. There was talk about them opening a store in major town closeby but that never happened.

I won't bother unless they move closer and then I'd make a decision..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Even though my family hates how Costco is always packed, we will be renewing our membership. The medication is a steal and I find the cheapest berries and salads at Costco. Also, we're always trying new snacks that are on sale and the prepacked meals are super easy when we have a last minute family dinner with a huge crowd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information