User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: More bad news for Air Miles!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

From the CBC: Air Miles sends apology to members for not living up to expectations in 2016 http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...logy-1.4003988

"...last month, LoyaltyOne's parent company, Texas-based Alliance Data Systems, sent a more ominous message to collectors. It warned that Air Miles would have to adjust the program to make up for a $242-million US shortfall. That's money the company had determined it would have gained from collectors who let their miles expire on Jan. 1 rather than redeeming them. With the cancellation of the expiry policy, the anticipated financial gain disappeared. "

Among the **highlights** of the article
    --Air Miles quietly drops value of some points
    --Air Miles lowered the value of miles used for vacation packages by 20%.
    --Warned that Air Miles would have to adjust the program to make up for a $242-million US shortfall.

ARRRRGH!!! We'll be paying for the bad business decisions (read: greed) of this company by getting less and less even though we are the engines that drive it. I am all for people making a profit and getting rich, rich, rich if they do so by providing an honest service. but why will I have to pay for their sleight-of-hand aimed at lining their own pockets?!

Having written the preceding...I hope the author of the article is wrong. I hope this is not too little, too late for Air Miles. Oh, well, if it is, I guess another program will take its place. To be safe, I'm going to start using up my balance at the grocery store.
    This thread is currently associated with: Air Miles, Guess
    Last edited by wendymac; Fri, Mar 3rd, 2017 at 03:13 PM.
    ROMEO, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did you see the Rexall bonus miles offers for this weekend? 100 bonus AM wus $70 (it was $50 recently and through most of last year). Or 60 bonus AM wus $50. The 30 bonus AM wus $30 seems like gold now.

Sobeys gave me a few bonus AM offers I may consider given how unlikely I am to spend $35 to get 10 bonus AM. I can buy 16 containers of Yoplait for 13 bonus AM or get 10AM for 1 Old El Paso kit. Hmm, decisions.

But if anyone knows the going share price for preferred LoyaltyOne shares, do share! I do think all of us should have Cdn shares in TFSA or RRSP accounts to get some of the profits and help our own futures too.
    wendymac, ROMEO, Silk and 1 others like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Yes, I did see the Rexall offer, Ciel, and I'm taking advantage of it today. Thanks for the reminder. I use Rexall's Be Better brand of vitamins and supplements and I need to restock. The BB brand also has a B1G1 1/2 price sale with 50 bonus points for a $30 purchase. So I'll use that for most of my shop. Along with the coupon for $5 off a $25 purchase, of course.

BTW, my Rexall regularly has Vim cream cleaner on for .99 and 51 Checkout has a $1 cash back so...FREE! My fav word in the English language.
    ROMEO, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I like the Vim Cleanser deal too but am stocked up for time being.

Noticed Air Miles sent an e-mail apologizing about last year with promises to improve call centre phone pickup times and to provide more value in rewards. I repeat, what is the going share price (common, preferred, whatever) for Loyalty One stock?

Sobeys is so going to see me shop today-moved the wax paper box (last purchased in June) and it was almost empty. I will get 20 bonus AM on two products plus there are few other specials of interest. Might be a $20 shop.
    Silk and barbis9 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I also got that apology letter from AM.
    Then I got a neat offer from Amex. Spend $50.00 ( after taxes, which is nice! ) at ant Pet Valu store and Amex will credit my account with $10.00
    That works for me! Mind you no AM earned at Pet Valu ( except from using the AM Amex card itself for the purchase ) but still a good deal.

I do get regular AM offers from Rexall ( ones where you must print the coupon ) but I don't shop there enough to justify the amount required to spend. The odd time if it is a $40.00 and I actually need something.
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    <snipped>

Noticed Air Miles sent an e-mail apologizing about last year with promises to improve call centre phone pickup times and to provide more value in rewards.
    The message I got when I called a couple of days ago was 'AM is working to reduce wait times from 6-10 min.' I was on hold for more than 1h10m and finally had to hang up to get to the PO. Incredible.
    wendymac, ROMEO, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Silk...I had Metro screw up a redemption. They took off x points but it didn't show up as a reduction in the price so I called AM from the store on my cell phone and I was on the line for about 40 minutes. Fortunately, I had a huge backlog of minutes on my plan -- the phone is mostly for emergencies -- but it was darned irritating. 1h10m? Wow.
    ROMEO, Silk, barbis9 and 1 others like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wendymac View Post
    Silk...I had Metro screw up a redemption. They took off x points but it didn't show up as a reduction in the price so I called AM from the store on my cell phone and I was on the line for about 40 minutes. Fortunately, I had a huge backlog of minutes on my plan -- the phone is mostly for emergencies -- but it was darned irritating. 1h10m? Wow.
    Wendymac - that is irritating. Good thing you had those extra minutes.

Even more frustrating is I have to call back since I didn't get through. Well, actually, a rep had answered but his job was to forward the call along with notes re: the nature of the call. They shorted me more than 1300 AMs from a promo I did - guess they didn't want to deal with that! The rep said there were a lot of problems with that promo.

I spent most of the time while I was on hold organizing all the info related to the promo I did. I still didn't finish doing that either. Glad I have a speakerphone.

While I was on hold there were occasional messages asking if I wanted to leave my # for a callback. But those messages stopped after the first 15-20 min. The last 20-30 min I was on hold I was hoping that message would come back but it never did.
    ROMEO, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Silk, I hear you. The last AM phone call was one of the worst customer service experiences I'd had in years. I cashed in $50 worth of points at Metro last week, BTW, because I don't want to hold on to a large balance of points. I don't feel confident that the company is going to be around much longer. People shouldn't act on my hunch, however, and start cashing in points they are storing (e.g. for next Christmas). I can be a bit of a nervous Nelly.
    ROMEO, Silk, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I've been cashing in my AMs too, Wendymac. Not because I'm a nervous Nelly - although I definitely am one at times But I've never had such a high AM cash balance before - mostly AMs given to me by my bank to help make up for a series of mistakes they made related to my account. I wanted to wait before using them to take advantage of the introductory double-cashback on my credit card until that ended, which it has, and so am now paying for groceries etc. with my AMs whenever I can
    Last edited by Silk; Tue, Mar 7th, 2017 at 05:11 AM.
    wendymac, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

I'm stuck with 550 "Dream Miles" that I can't use because there isn't anything I can use it for. I just wish they would let me convert it to cash miles.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug2011 View Post
    I'm stuck with 550 "Dream Miles" that I can't use because there isn't anything I can use it for. I just wish they would let me convert it to cash miles.
    There isn't anything you can use it for - you can't find any merchandise on the site that you want? I think there are some things for less miles than that.
    wendymac, ROMEO, barbis9 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Airmiles is my least fav program. I don't use my American express ever. We get a few airmiles from LCBO and the odd online purchase. I just keep it and let it rack up slowly.

But last year Foodland had buy a $150 GC get 200 Airmiles. Since I had a huge amount sitting in my grocery budget I figured I would do it and use the GC only when good sale items were on. They had the promo again a few weeks later and I used my 1st Gift card towards the purchase of the 2nd GC. So $40 in free groceries when needed and I am still using the GC to pick up a few things here and there.
    wendymac, Silk, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have cashed out all of my air miles and now earn cash back on my credit card instead. Last year when air miles stated that points were going to expire - they lost my business. I don't trust them.

The only thing that I really like at Rexall is when the baking soda is on for 99 cents.
    Ciel and walkonby like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

What is 2017? -- national "mess up people's accounts" year? I've had to straighten out AM, a credit card that switched policies abruptly and without notice, and I'm working up to emailing Amazon. ARRGH. But I'd better stop complaining or else move this post over to the rant section. Congrats on all the extra AM points< Silk, I guess. You earned them by putting up with so much annoyance from the "series of mistakes."

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I've been cashing in my AMs too, Wendymac. Not because I'm a nervous Nelly - although I definitely am one at times But I've never had such a high AM cash balance before - mostly AMs given to me by my bank to help make up for a series of mistakes they made related to my account. I wanted to wait before using them to take advantage of the introductory double-cashback on my credit card until that ended, which it has, and so am now paying for groceries etc. with my AMs whenever I can
    Silk, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information