User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Finally Learned Financial Self Control!!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Has anyone tried the money in the jars - Gail Val-Oxlade method?
    I have not tried that, but that is where I got my idea to use cash only for everything. I used to watch her program all the time as she has excellent suggestions. It seems that most of the people on her show using the jar method were successful. It is a matter of keeping track of every dime you spend and not going over your allotment.
    Last edited by maggiespice; Thu, Mar 9th, 2017 at 01:48 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I love the idea of the jar system but don't like carrying cash. I live by a budget but use my credit card for everything. I never carry a balance or pay interest. It works for me.
    I do take $40 cash out a month and put in a jar for $ for school (pizza day, school trips etc) It is way more then needed so letting it build I do take mad money each pay for my wallet. I haven't needed it lately so have put it towards other things.
    Ciel, macw1960 and dededi like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Congrats, maggiespice!
    barbis9, Ciel, maggiespice and 2 others like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

congrats maggiespice!!! you are on a roll....

I use one credit card (PC one) because I get free groceries off that card. I do track every single penny we spend (old fashioned way with pen and ledger and it is so amazing how one spends less just tracking our expenses. It does help that I have a hubby that doesn't spend - just gas and haircuts lol Pretty content fellow he is!
    Silk, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Nice post
    macw1960 likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My daughter started about 6 months ago with Gail Voz Oxlades method and is experiencing financial freedom for the 1st time in 20 years! Got rid of the man who was draining her and picked her pride out of the garbage pile. Stopped some really bad spending habit and will be working on repairing the credit score this year. So proud of her!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, my husband and I have been using the Jars for years! Since 2009! We changed them to work for us. We have: food, gas, vehicle maintenance (we both were driving older vehicles at the time), house hold, play money (us & kids), and Pharmacy. Vehicle maintenance and pharmacy are designed to roll over every week. We use vehicle maintenance to pay for wipers, licence plate renewals, oil changes, any vehicle expense that isn't gas. Pharmacy we use mostly for cold and flu season! House hold is all the things required on a regular basis that aren't edible. I.e. toilet paper, cleaners, broom, swifter refills ect.

We tried to go off the jars and use our credit card for everything, for points, and it was an epic fail so we are sticking to the jars. I do use my credit card for online purchases. Our credit card earns points which we redeem for registered investments.

If you are disciplined the jar system works!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Has anyone tried the money in the jars - Gail Val-Oxlade method?
    Yes, my husband and I have been using the Jars for years! Since 2009! We changed them to work for us. We have: food, gas, vehicle maintenance (we both were driving older vehicles at the time), house hold, play money (us & kids), and Pharmacy. Vehicle maintenance and pharmacy are designed to roll over every week. We use vehicle maintenance to pay for wipers, licence plate renewals, oil changes, any vehicle expense that isn't gas. Pharmacy we use mostly for cold and flu season! House hold is all the things required on a regular basis that aren't edible. I.e. toilet paper, cleaners, broom, swifter refills ect.

We tried to go off the jars and use our credit card for everything, for points, and it was an epic fail so we are sticking to the jars. I do use my credit card for online purchases. Our credit card earns points which we redeem for registered investments.

If you are disciplined the jar system works!

I think the jars are great because once you figure out an amount that works for you, you know exactly what it costs you to live for a month.
    maggiespice likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information