• 2 Post By Ciel
  • 2 Post By barbis9
  • 3 Post By kiwis-mom
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Library cards

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi Everybody .I didn't realize till lately the value of a library card.My main use for it is just for reading the digital magazines (Food Mag is my favorite and on the pricey side to buy ) but with my library card I can read it for free the latest copy as well as back copies bonus (I don't have to store them yay less clutter) what is your favorite use of your library card ?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It's through Zinio and your library. I download a bunch of magazines on my iPad before I go on trips.....
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I like the 2 day DVD releases at my local library.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have been watching 100+ movies, reading 50+ books a year for over a decade thanks to my library card. I've made a habit of visiting every Saturday morning after gym. It's habit-chaining. If I skip gym, I would have to skip library where I reserved items. So I tend not to skip either.

My favorite use is the DVDs, of course. I also enjoy reading popular non-fiction. Popular non-fiction are interesting but the books aren't exactly the ones I'd read again. Cookbooks! Even when I do buy them, I'd like to try the recipes first. I also borrow a lot of manga. I love them but they can be expensive. I mean a set of Naruto is 67 volume, you're looking at $1000+ for an epic. Audiobooks! I listen to them in the car as a way to find more time to "read", sort of.

I suggest ordering DVD online. They have very new movies that are always checked out, so you can't see them on the shelves. This week, I got Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
    Last edited by EvilTofu; Sat, Aug 27th, 2016 at 06:26 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Keelenorth View Post
    what is your favorite use of your library card ?
    Since your user name is Keelenorth, I am assuming you are in Toronto
    Torontonians have some great perks from Toronto Public Library. Some free passes are in limited supply
    Your journey through arts and culture in Toronto starts at the Library.

The Sun Life Financial Museum + Arts Pass (MAP) lets you and your family (2 adults & up to 5 children) explore the best of Toronto's arts and cultural treasures for free.

With your valid adult Toronto Public Library card, you can take out a pass for your family at any Toronto Public Library branch. Quantities are limited and rules and conditions apply.

Participating Venues

Passes are available for the following venues:

Generously sponsored by:

The Museum + Arts Pass program is made possible through the generous support of Sun Life Financial.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I did want to try those museum passes in Toronto in 2007 but with Saturday distribution not coinciding with when I was in the city, that was disappointing.

Hamilton Public Library this summer increased the number of loans per card to 75 items and now allows up to 5 renewals of an item as long as no other patron has requested the item. I only use Zinio if I cannot access a different branch that carries 3 titles that I don't have at my home branch. I occasionally read e-books at the library but that process is hard on non-fiction reading (have to do it over many days). I miss reading e-books at home with an Internet connection. New DVDs have 3-day express loans and some other copies are for 1 week borrowing. Just caught up on The Intern and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 this week.

HPL also has a free museum pass for local museum visits:
    http://www.hpl.ca/articles/museum-passes
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Sep 2nd, 2016 at 04:22 PM.
    barbis9 and macw1960 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Beside my library is a McDonald's. I usually grab a coffee and go into the library and read the local newspapers. I can't even calculate how much money I have saved since going to the library from the 1980's till now.

You can borrow pedometers, gauges to measure hydro, iPads, Sony readers which are loaded up with current books, current DVDs, etc.....just ask.

The burlington library has book clubs where they provide the books, coffee and a treat once a month. It is a great way to discuss books without buying them.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Why buy a book when you can borrow it, some blue rays, games,cds, e-books and magazines and all for FREE!!!!! And if you do happen to have to pay a late fee for things remember --it's cheaper than buying the item and your late fees all go towards the library buying more stuff!
    Oh and just so you know in Ontario (and I imagine other provinces as well) if your local library doesn't have the book/item you are looking for you can usually request it as an INTER LIBRARY LOAN from other library systems. As well don't hesitate to put in suggestions for purchase. If there is enough demand for a particular item the library might add it to the collection (more free books to borrow)!

Can you tell I really like libraries?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Check to see if your library has reciprocal borrowing privileges with nearby library systems. Interlibrary loans (if different system) may be a pay as you request situation now; if you meant between branches of the same system, usually there is a free transfer of material between branches. The National Library of Canada stopped interlibrary loans years ago but once I was able to read an English translation of a book for free (just had to wait for a few weeks for request to go through).
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Mostly books but also DVD's.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Got my Hamilton card registered at Burlington Public Library. Realized that checking out materials involves scanning each barcode separately under the red light. So BPL does not have the radio signal patches that we take for granted in the Hamilton system.

Thread Information