User Tag List

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree1413Likes

Thread: May 2017 Frugal Chatter thread

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

Hope you are all enjoying the long weekend! Weather is nice here - just around 20, the way I like it.

The men worked on getting parts for our 'new' van yesterday - they worked hard at the auto parts place once they were lucky to find three other similar vans to cannibalize, and really lucked out. Unfortunately no tires, so that's next on the agenda.

And husband just fixed the hot water heater, so we have hot water again! Gah, it's been awful to be without this past week!

Enjoy the day!

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My god @SassyAshley and @Frugalbigmama you guys have been on a mission!! Hope you get some downtime today!
    @Natalka . Nothing like a bracing shower!
    Last edited by GoodBoy; Sun, May 21st, 2017 at 08:35 AM.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Pretty good start to the morning, it is 9 am and I have:
    Baked an Apple Cake
    Baked Banana Muffins

And the Kitchen is now clean

Still have some stuff to use up but think I will break for Breakfast
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Pretty good start to the morning, it is 9 am and I have:
    Baked an Apple Cake
    Baked Banana Muffins

And the Kitchen is now clean

Still have some stuff to use up but think I will break for Breakfast
    Ouch. 9Am here and still catching up on Twitter! You put me to shame!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

After breakfast I made a batch of brownies I found online which uses Yogurt. We had a Vanilla yogurt we bought but did not like the taste of and I figured all the chocolate would over power the vanilla flavour.

Brownies, Apple Cake & Banana Muffins have been portioned out into single serve portions and wrapped to go in the freezer.

Got a little bit of a shock this afternoon, I went to take the garbage out and came back in and heard this horrible scratching noise like a mouse but times 100. I wasn't sure where the noise was coming from so as I looked walked around slowly listening I walked into the kitchen and saw a squirrel head coming through the screen in my window. There is now a massive hole in screen which I know was not there before. But the part that scared me was the squirrel would not go away. I scared it off closed the window and before I walked away it was back, scared it off again. Went to put a new bag in the garbage heard a noise and now it is part way through the screen trying to get through the window. After scaring it off 5 or more time it finally left and I have sprinkled Chili powder all around the window and have chili powder and cayenne steeping in water which I will strain and spray all over the backyard tomorrow.

Mom has contacted the property management company to see if they replace the screen or if we need too. Also going to ask them to contact the building behind us. A few years ago they had to get our permission to trim all of the trees that separate our properties since the tress are technically on our property because squirrels were getting in the apartments. There is now a man living there that calls and feeds the squirrels and ever since he moved in we have had nothing but problems. Think it is time to remind them we helped them now they need to get this guy to stop. Thinking I will record him next time he does it (oh how I love cell phones).

Well guess I better figure out dinner since I have just spent over an hour dealing with a squirrel and I still have nothing out.

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Sun, May 21st, 2017 at 06:51 PM.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I picked up bread and a rotisserie chicken at Sobeys, but they were out of chip dip, so I got a rain check. I headed to WM for some other grocery items and pm'd the chip dip. I spent $15.xx and used $13.65 in coupons. I bought tomatoes, green grapes, potato salad (-65c coupon), chip dip, 4 bags of chips (-$3 coupon), 25 Fruit to Go bars (- 5x $2 coupons). My Sunrype coupons were mailed out by the manufacturer due to a problem. The CSM person at WM didn't like the wording, but let me use all of the coupons. The coupons were good on any Sunrype product or products.
    40c each x 25 = $10 - $10 coupons = free before potential taxes

My neighbour's rototiller was much bigger than my brother's and got the job done in no time. I have two smaller plots and one large plot, all are raised beds. My son and I currently have the following vegetables seeded: radishes, carrots, beets, lettuce, Swiss chard, and red potatoes. I want the rest planted by tomorrow night: yellow bush beans, 4 varieties of tomato plants, cucumbers, zucchinis, and peas. Red rhubarb, green onions, and dill are already in my garden from last year.

edit: I forgot to mention the sweet potato that we are attempting to grow this year. I had one end of a sweet potato sprout in my pantry, so I thought we'd try to grow it. I've been doing a lot of research, but there is no guarantee that it will work or produce anything. I keep referring to it as an experiment. This is the picture that I sent to my dad last week, the sprouts have been growing pretty slowly.
    Name:  IMG_3823.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  261.6 KB
    Last edited by Angela273; Mon, May 22nd, 2017 at 08:58 AM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

my daughter took Sebastian to the other grandparents today from 12 -til 5.30 and she and I went to winners and shoppers -loved it -I got a Melissa and doug colouring book for Ashlyn for xmas 3.00,bib for my house for Sebastian -need a few for him -3 baby wash cloths for the baby-to be in nov 3.00-gee i managed to get all grandkids something and a nice large shampoo for me
    -got 8,000 points at shoppers for buying 30 .00 worth of medication ,my lose dose aspirin ,nasal spray ,life brand Tylenol for to keep at my house for Sebastian
    -tonight bbq steak for hubby daughter and I (10.00 for the 2 steak at freshco on Friday) corn on cob and mashed potatoes

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
    My god @SassyAshley and @Frugalbigmama you guys have been on a mission!! Hope you get some downtime today!
    @Natalka. Nothing like a bracing shower!
    No, I think there'd be water boiled to mix with cold water for shower/bathing. Bracing works when you are younger on a hot day. The older one gets, the more one's body becomes like Goldilocks-everything has to be just right-or body squawks.
    GoodBoy likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    No, I think there'd be water boiled to mix with cold water for shower/bathing. Bracing works when you are younger on a hot day. The older one gets, the more one's body becomes like Goldilocks-everything has to be just right-or body squawks.
    I love the concept of body-squawks! Looked for a sound byte - could not find one

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@SassyAshley -good that you know some history about the squirrels/trees/tenant feeding squirrels. The fact that you noticed the squirrel would not leave your window alone-either darn persistent or some threat was nearby (dog, angry squirrel, cat?). If you have to get the screen fixed, you probably can rent a spline tool (looks like a small pizza cutter with a smooth rubber wheel) from Home Depot when you get a roll of screening. You'd have to figure out how to cover the window to prevent more squirrel visits during the repair process (when you have the screen portion removed).
    Sibling was to patch holes in a couple of window screens on the house but he never did after getting the screening. As result, one window risks getting flies indoors if the inner glass portion is raised for fresh air on a stuffy day. We used to have a back metal storm door with screen that was getting worn. I miss it because it was possible to open the window on it and get more air into the house during summer. No more (have a metal back door now).

Yesterday, I caved and went to Shoppers to get $10 in beverage specials (2 pops in 6pks and 2 sparkling waters) and a personal item for me. Got the PIN card for new contest and also answered the questions online (all 20). Of course, Mother Nature decided an afternoon rain had to start just as I was heading home. My cart was able to keep most of the water off of the contents except one box for the water was wet, so I emptied the box when I got home. Was rather surprised that my jacket was not soaked despite using an umbrella so that was a small upside.

My chiffon cake did not rise much in the baking pan as I had not let the eggs warm up to room temp (15min is not enough time, despite separating the eggs prior to letting them sit in bowls). I'm fine with that as the pan had to be in the toaster oven and I did not use cream of tartar in the egg whites to minimize chance cake could rise above rim of pan. So there is dessert for later in the day.

Have some seeds to plant since the ground is moist. May take a look at a garden centre just to see what plants are available and maybe spot sales too.

Happy Queen Victoria day, everyone! Tea is always a good idea on this holiday.
    SassyAshley likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

So nice to have this extra day - enjoy!
    Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We just finished planting and watering the entire garden. It's good to have that done. It will be difficult to keep the children out of the garden since most of it currently just looks like dirt. It's easier to explain to them once more plants are visible. I still left a section at the end of the garden where the kids are allowed to dig and play in the soil. My daycare girl will only be here for 3 days this week, which will be nice.
    saundyl, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I knew Lowes garden centre was open but not the Longo's one. Bought one container (4 heads) of green leaf lettuce and one of red leaf lettuce at Longo's ($4.50total) then at Lowes I decided the rosemary plant had priority over the lavender today ($2.98, save the tax day!). All the plants are stuck in empty spots in the two front flowerbeds (I'm thinking colour and what will fill the spaces after the tulips are cut down in a few days as they are almost without petals). Did not realize that Iceland Poppies will reach 18" height, but I seeded some areas that will be void soon of flowers. Hope they make an amazing stand of colour when the seedlings grow.

Mom can repot the rosemary if she likes. The plant will get the full sun and dryness-I'll have to ensure it gets water as spot is under the eave which tends to cut down on water reaching the soil by the house.

Scrubbed my mesh runners-darn, should have done that day after grasscutting as the brownish dust marks don't seem to have come off with laundry soap and scrubbing and some warm water and laundry detergent. Noticed one plastic panel has a gash already-well, I did expect the mesh to tear first but it has not yet. Have to make these shoes last until July 10.

Found 35 cents on the ground (road shoulder and near the roundabout by chance) and 5 beer cans. There was a Lowes bag on the garden centre floor while I was waiting to pay-free bag. Perfect for the empties! My bank account needs a deposit soon.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    We just finished planting and watering the entire garden. It's good to have that done. It will be difficult to keep the children out of the garden since most of it currently just looks like dirt. It's easier to explain to them once more plants are visible. I still left a section at the end of the garden where the kids are allowed to dig and play in the soil. My daycare girl will only be here for 3 days this week, which will be nice.
    I remember you got a deal on clothing recently. Are there button front shirts that can be assigned to each child as their gardening/outdoor fun/smoothie shirt? Then you can just toss the shirts in the wash now and then and not worry about scrubbing anything.

Since you get amazing produce results from gardening, I'm sure you will have a basket of produce to offer to the handy neighbour with the garden tiller.

While I could trim the new lettuce plants right now and have a salad, I will let the plants be for two weeks and assess if trimming is needed. The rosemary will get attention as I love the herb for cooking and focaccia!
    Angela273 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@Ciel I have some play clothes for all of the children, but just not that many and baby girl is currently outgrowing hers. My kids don't really have button up shirts, but I could maybe try a little bigger t-shirt for them to wear since they usually won't keep a bib on.

Our kids slept well last night. Our twins have been very fussy today, particularly baby boy, but we don't know why. They are basically over their Coke and I don't think his teeth are bothering him because he hasn't been chewing on his hand, etc.

Today is my dad's 59th birthday. My dad has been busy planting his own garden. Dad was just told today that grandma has been hospitalized. They celebrated her birthday last week and she inhaled soup on Tuesday. She has developed a lung infection. They are trying a second antibiotic because the first one didn't work. She is also on oxygen.

I got some housework done after Dh cooked supper. Dh took care of the twins while I planted the garden and I was later able to catch a nap. Dh volunteered to cook supper in order to have a break from the cranky twins, his words. I washed all the remaining dishes, counters, table, have a large load of laundry on, picked up and vacuumed the living room and nursery.
    Last edited by Angela273; Mon, May 22nd, 2017 at 10:52 PM.
    Ciel and SassyAshley like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information