User Tag List

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1413Likes

Thread: May 2017 Frugal Chatter thread

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow I am so sorry to hear of your MIL and your daycare dilemma. Wish I lived much closer.

My van is currently getting a free free oil change, I won it a long time ago. They are giving it a complimentary wash and then dropping it off at my house. It is supposed to be 25-27 until Sunday, so I washed out and filled our paddling pool this morning. I had 7 kids playing in my back yard before supper yesterday. We had the water table out. I can't remember where we put the new package of water guns from CT. I tried on my summer shorts and capris this morning, but unfortunately 1/2 of them are too tight for comfort.

A potential daycare mom was in touch with me last week. I hadn't heard from her again until this morning. She has 4 children, 3 are school aged. She wants her 3yr old daughter to come on May 9 and then she might sign a full-time contract for her daughter if she likes it here.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, May 5th, 2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great news on the daycare mom - I hope it works out!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post

A potential daycare mom was in touch with me last week. I hadn't heard from her again until this morning. She has 4 children, 3 are school aged. She wants her 3yr old daughter to come on May 9 and then she might sign a full-time contract for her daughter if she likes it here.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

http://smartcanucks.ca/walmart-canad...in-play-table/

Thinking this is a great Christmas gift idea for those with young ones. I would buy for my friends twins if they were born already and a little older!
    Newfiescreech, saundyl and Ciel like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    Just finishing up for the day at work. Ended up in our other main location to work on a project with our controller so I carpooled with Mom so I will have to wait for her to get off work to head home. Not sure what is going on at her work lately but they have a new manager that seems to be on a bit of warpath, personally I am not a fan of management style which appears to be that she wants her staff to fear her so needless to say Mom's mood lately has been less then good.

Discussed it with Mom and my co worker is going to come over this weekend and help me sort through the dinning room and stockpile room. I get the feeling Mom thinks we will get distracted and not accomplish much but we are good at getting done what needs to be done as we have worked quite a bit together on various projects and although we socialize and whatnot the job always gets done.

She came over last night to take a sneak peak of our house and see if she had any ideas on how we could move some stuff around for better organization. I am looking forward to the fact she has no emotional attachment to anything in the house and is more focus on where can we find a home for _______ or where can this go. She loves to organize which is what I need I crave organization but right now our house just overwhelms me and I can never seem to make my vision come to life where is I know if I tell her she will help me get there. She is much better at looking at something and being able to visualize how to make it work where is I am more hands on and have to try it which takes me more time to accomplish.

Alright well better see if anything else is going on before the end of the day, there is going to be a lot going on next week so hoping trying to stay on top of anything that pops up right now so I won't have to deal with it next week.

Have wonderful night everyone and hopefully for all those in Ontario dealing with the rain you are not experiencing any flooding.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Fri, May 5th, 2017 at 03:43 PM.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Since it's been a rainy week, does it help any Hamilton SCer to know that the City of Hamilton will have a rain barrel sale for May 13? You can preorder barrels-see the ad in the current View magazine for details.

Winter boots worked a treat on the muddy walk to Longos for groceries and that pasta deal (10pkg)! Boots werealso good for squishing down tire ruts on lawn from various vehicles that have gone on it. Found three refundable containers that I returned on second grocery store trip-baking supplies at Fortinos (I was thinking of @Angela273 's cookies and bought what I needed-ready for weekend teatime with baked cookies). Cooked just over a 1/2 pkg of radiator pasta and mixed it with a jar of salsa, added a tablespoon of herbes de Provence and 2 cups of California mix veggies and turned the lot into an oiled rectangular pan-baked for 20 mins at 400F and dinner was ready! Have leftovers for tomorrow.

Gave someone the second copy of Food & Drink (from my second store visit yesterday) today so she does not miss out on the new recipes.

Spoke to Mom-she has a cold already. I mentioned Eurovision and she either did not understand or has no idea of what I'm talking about. The singing competition starts on May 9-I'm assuming the younger relations will clue her in to the show's importance. Last year, I had hoped she'd visit another relation in Sweden during its hosting of Eurovision but that failed to happen.

Doors Open Hamilton is on this weekend. Noticed that the university reactor visits were filled (via online booking site) a day or so ago. Glad I did my visit the last time it was on the tour. Keen to see the Barracks Inn tomorrow in town. True Hamiltonian is having its grand opening of its new King Street East store tomorrow as well-if you wear your TH shirts and go to eat at the Black Forest Inn, you can get 10% off the food bill (tomorrow only-per Twitter tonight).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Ciel, where's your Mom?

I just listened to Ukraine's entry into Eurovision, and sad to say I'm not impressed - not like last year with Jamala. I just found out that she got married the end of April, too - what a huge year for her.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-finding some days still hard to focus -well went to Walmart this morning p.m and used 9.00 in coupons and 2.00 checkout51 still spent 126.11 mind you I bought Sebastian an extra sleeper for 6.00 incase he spits up or drolls a lot as he does when he is here -my daughter is coming Monday night til Wednesday next week
    -my grocery bill just seems to be high lately -I guess living off the stock pile is taking it down -I am down to 2 pkgs of toilet paper where as I use to always have at least 10 -at least I price matched my 3 romaine for 2.50 from metro gee lettuce and romaine is an awfull price
    -doing laundry and my 1,500 piece button and marbles puzzles (it relaxes me )

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Natalka -sent you an PM. I have only heard parts of some Eurovision entries and stumbled upon the Portuguese singer's health story-his sister did the second rehearsal for him as he mends after surgery.
    I know Logo TV is going to air the final in North America. Not sure how much of the show each night I'll be able to see online.
    @coupongirl -salad is pricey. I used my Old El Paso $5off produce coupon yesterday towards a box of mixed salad just to have some in the house. The jar of salsa went into yesterday's pasta bake and sibling has a replacement taco kit (I snacked on the tacos and salsa one night-he was not thrilled).

I plan to use one of the P&G shampoo coupons this month for Herbal Essence before the long weekend. Tomorrow, I will bake the discounted broccoli and cheddar quiche for brunch and serve some salad on the side. Tonight calls for more tea-certainly a wet and chilly day.
    Good to read that the Western provinces are warmer than Ontario. Usually the West has random snow days while Central Canada is warm or toasty.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Today I ordered a free sheet of pictures at WM by using my Smile Card, which is valid until August.

Dh bought the necessary boards to fix the section of rotting boards that are currently part of my large garden plot. I have Dh the $50gc that I won to a local business, so the wood only cost $19.xx oop. He plans on doing the work tomorrow. I'm continuing to notice grocery prices continuing to go up on things we eat often.

I sold something for $10 yesterday. I quickly had 5 people contact me, which told me that I had underpriced the item, that was my fault so I honoured the listed price. There are no decent queen sized sheet sets at WM in town, so we are looking at ordering from Amazon.ca. I have a $25gc on my account from redeeming Reward Shopping points. I also have a digital $25 credit card from the Schneiders promotion. Our sheets sets are completely worn out, so this is a necessary purchase.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sat, May 6th, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Good evening all, dreary looking day here today so only did one load of laundry, it was starting to spit when I brought it out so I hung it inside. DH said he likes his jeans hung so they're kinda stiff. We did some grocery shopping, no outrageous deals but used $7.50 in coupons. We are planning a trip tomorrow to the snake pits (Narcisse) with the family, planning to bring bunwiches and drinks so other than gas it's free.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avrose
    Check out Tangerine with my Orange Key!! 40411099S1

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Good evening all, dreary looking day here today so only did one load of laundry, it was starting to spit when I brought it out so I hung it inside. DH said he likes his jeans hung so they're kinda stiff. We did some grocery shopping, no outrageous deals but used $7.50 in coupons. We are planning a trip tomorrow to the snake pits (Narcisse) with the family, planning to bring bunwiches and drinks so other than gas it's free.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avrose
    Check out Tangerine with my Orange Key!! 40411099S1

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

DH just dropped by for the night to give me a bit of reprieve so I could pick up groceries, shower, bathe the children, and do laundry. He will be going back first thing tomorrow so I do not know when we'll see him again. People have been asking where we are, so I think he feels guilty that we're not all there. However, it doesn't seem right to thrust a three year old into a room full of crying people when she has been given no explanation beforehand. Also, the youngest child there is almost ten, in a room by himself, occupied by an iPad.

MIL is in good spirits, but her mind seems to be time traveling in the mid-afternoons. I wonder if it is the illness or the side effects of all the pills she's been put on. Those times when she doesn't recognize people seem to be the hardest among her children.

With DD1 reading, she has been quite the helper. In the mornings, when I am rushing about doing dishes from the evening before and diaper changes, she reads to the baby and keeps her from crying. I'm quite glad she's able to read, though I wish I had some times to work with her and access to a printer. She just loves activity pages.

@coupon girl : I'm so sorry to hear of your daughter's divorce. Marriage is really hard after children for many people.

@Angela273 : Did you check the oil when the light came on? Perhaps it was a faulty sensor? If the dipstick came out clean then you might ask your mechanic to check the sensor instead of going for costly oil changes.

Also, when I was looking for sheets, I went to The Bay. In the clearance section, I found some 300 thread count, combed Egyptian cotton sheet sets for less than $18 for DD1's twin bed. They have comparable ones in different sizes. It happens to be lime green, but it looks quite cheery, and the softness is not something I can find at Walmart. If you have a Bay close by, it may be worth checking.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Sweet Sparrow I am so sorry to hear of your MIL and your daycare dilemma. Wish I lived much closer.
    As do I. The regulated home daycares around me require a payment of the non-refundable registration fee before I can meet any of the care providers. That seems a bit ridiculous. If I don't choose the people nearest me, I'd have to accept a further care provider, which could be out of the way and cost more than a closer regular daycare. I'm looking forward to the end of daycare, though friends tell me that finding a daycare for school age children is worse. Worse!?!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@ Sweet Sparrow Dh and I agreed to use my free oil change coupon, that way we know for sure when the last oil change was. The dealership said they changed the oil when I bought it in September, 3,000km ago. If the sensor comes on too early again, then I'll see about getting the sensor checked and hopefully that is covered under my extended warantee package.

I agree that you need to do what is best for you and your children. My MIL is in heart failure, but we have currently chosen not to travel to see her with the kids. We would rather our children remember her as relatively healthy, not on 24hr oxygen. Our son has had meltdowns regarding death. He is scared that people around him will die, that we will die. We have attended a funeral together as a family and he knows about other times that people we knew had died and we were unable to attend the funerals. It is hard to explain things to young children. We have told him that people usually don't die until they are old and their bodies are tired.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sun, May 7th, 2017 at 09:14 AM.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Picked up milk, pam, jam, garlic sausage, chicken thighs, bananas, cheese and ritz crackers Last night. The pam, chicken, cheese and crackers were all on sale. TGP is goving out tickets to collect to win things and i got 3 last night.

Spent yesterday doing painting at the old house. I managed to finish 2 coats on the master bedroom. 1 coat on a second bedroom and edge the 3rd bedroom plus do the ceiling in the 3rd bedroom. In the evening the boys did a 2nd coat on the 2nd bedroom and a 1st coat on the 3rd.

Im soooo tired of painting but its a good way to get some exercise . We are hoping to have it up for sale by the long weekend. Today my plan is to do the 2nd coat on the 3rd bedroom and prime the bathroom. Maybe prep the tub for its makeover too. We will see.

7 min and the boys are cut off wifi til this evening.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by saundyl; Sun, May 7th, 2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information