• 1 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By JDI007
  • 1 Post By GoodBoy
  • 1 Post By GoodBoy
  • 1 Post By JDI007
  • 1 Post By GoodBoy
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By JDI007

Thread: Need a REALIABLE home phone line for emergency/911 calls! that works asap./no waiting

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm with Teksavvy now and to my surprise when I had to call emergency/911 last week and I got a message saying that they couldn't connect me to the operator because the line was busy....and to wait/ on hold!?? and it kept repeating that automated message, for at least 5-10 mins before I hung up and called from my cell phone. But I do need a working emergency phone line for my house!
    This is unnaceptable! emergencies don't have this kind of time, it's seconds! and I was on hold?? not ok!

Please please help me out. I need a reliable company that can give me reliable emergency/911 calls from home! immediately!

-Thank you!

Unfortunately I do have all my other services with Teksavvy/ internet/home phone/television
    I don't know what's going on. Has anyone had such a problem with Teksavvy's home phone/ and calling emergency/911?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    walkonby and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

We're with Cogeco, never once had any sort of issue with them. Unlike Teksavvy, they have true landlines, not voip services. Now keep in mind that we've never had to call 911 for any sort of reason, however, happy with their services.... and you can get internet and tv with Cogeco as well
    Ciel21 likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I'd phone Teksavvy and see wtf is happening there. That is not acceptable. We left Teksavvy a while back, so I now have no idea what their services are or if they have been modified. Hope you get an answer.
    Ciel21 likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Unfortunately. Cogeco's services are not available in my area

Does anyone use Rogers? I may ask them, but if I'm not a customer just for home phone price looks to be $50 ugh

I would love to have a cable connection but I think that's out the door nowadays. Companies have switched to home phone connected by internet connection.
    Last edited by JDI007; Thu, Aug 26th, 2021 at 04:17 PM.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is what you get with Tech Savvy mate

https://www.teksavvy.com/policies/im...k-911-faq/#qa2
    Ciel21 likes this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sure call them - they will tell you what they do which is NOT real 911.. See the link above and learn why if you go with cheaper services you get what they provide. Sad but true

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I'd phone Teksavvy and see wtf is happening there. That is not acceptable. We left Teksavvy a while back, so I now have no idea what their services are or if they have been modified. Hope you get an answer.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The only problem with VOIP services is they can go down when power is down or some other issue interferes with service. I remember a Hamilton employment centre was down for two days via phone as their service was affected (VOIP).
    The backup options? Find the closest Bell payphone (if still around in your area or bus terminal) and keep 50 cents (not those dimes with March of Dimes logo-payphones spit them out) on hand or know which neighbours might be willing to call 911 for you (helps if you already have a rapport with them and check in on them from time to time).
    Last edited by Ciel21; Thu, Aug 26th, 2021 at 08:34 PM.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's not reliable at all and very scary to have (teksavvy tektalk/or voip) but every company seems to be doing this now? I can't find a company that still does home phone through cable connection. In case your internet goes out, so does your phone/and emergency calling...sorry! is what they said. ..very comforting.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Go with a regular Bell landline if this is important for you. If the concern is the cost then the 911 service is not important enough. You want proper 911 service then you need to go with a proper landline service.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's not so much that it's A VOIP service, it's that it's TakSavvy and they dont have location based allocation, and therefore your location can't be determined just by your IP.
    When you call 911, there is no location to send your call to your local 911 service. Instead you get routed to a national emergency call center (NOT technically a 911 service) which is why you're asked to be put on hold. When you DO get an agent, you have to give them your location, and they will forward you to your local 911 service.

Companies like Bell, Rogers, etc, DO have location based IP allocation. So when you call 911 from THOSE services, you get routed to your local 911 center automatically.

I realize that info doesnt solve your problem, but it might help you make a choice about what companies to avoid if you're planning a switch.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Aug 28th, 2021 at 01:15 AM.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Called Rogers, received their device, their Rogers Wireless box has a SIM card you put in like a cell phone which I guess tracks your location. It's ok for now. especially since traditional jack connection costs over $60! which is nuts! for a connection most people don't use anymore. I would think a jack connected phone costs less!
    I just have a question about private callers(ex. when doctors office etc call) are private callers displayed on your caller ID?

They used to be when I had Teksavvy, it would say "Private caller" or "Private" but with Rogers Wireless...the entire call display is blank..no name/no number completely blank, doesn't display anything. No display comes up..which is very odd.

I don't like how that works..why can't it just say Private Caller so I know? instead of a blank screen.. So, I called Rogers, they said it was my phone...that was displaying this... -_- is that true?

But it can't be true. I called from my Cell to my home phone, hid my number *67(#31#) and my home phone display was blank as well. Did not show "Private Caller" or "Unknown Caller" completely blank screen, just with a ring tone.

That's why I wanted to ask you guys, when you get private callers/or unknown callers on your home phone, does it say "private"? on your call display? or do you get a blank screen also? and if so, what company are you using? /Is this normal? I don't like this...
    (or you can test it out, if you have a cell phone, block your number and dial your home phone to check your home phone caller display, see if it says private/unknown or if the screen is blank).

I don't like that it's blank ahh! it should say something!
    Last edited by JDI007; Fri, Sep 24th, 2021 at 08:13 PM.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Call display is usually a separate paid monthly service, at least with Bell landlines. Don't know if your phone setup includes Call Display. Just because there is a display window does not mean you will see any caller id. Our Touch-tone display will show the number we have entered or display directory of saved numbers or show voice mail options or card numbers we enter. But not any incoming caller stuff. Just the duration of a call that we answer.

I cannot tell you how often certain friends and family think we have Call Display (we don't) and just hang up on answering machine without leaving a message. I'm not the amazing Kresge.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Thread Information