User Tag List

View Poll Results: $15 minimum wage--> good idea or bad idea?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good idea.

5 22.73%
  • Bad idea.

11 50.00%
  • Not sure.

3 13.64%
  • Election coming up...

3 13.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: QOTD:$15 minimum wage. Good? Bad?

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Around here a number of stores have put in self check out or added more self check out. Locally 1 Wal-Mart added self check out another added more self check out, we have one of the new design Shopper's that has more self check out then registers.

I have also heard of some people who own Fast Food Franchises who are considering walking away, closing up the store. They will still own the franchise rights in that area but have said the increase in minimum wage will either make them break even or become unprofitable and since they are franchises they cannot change their prices to accommodate. Some have said until the Franchises catch up with price increases they will just close their stores. Now with that being said these are in smaller towns which means now there will be less jobs and less options and more empty buildings. Not sure if the same franchises feel the same that are in larger towns as they may have more profit to work with.
    Natalka and JadeAngel like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Around here a number of stores have put in self check out or added more self check out. Locally 1 Wal-Mart added self check out another added more self check out, we have one of the new design Shopper's that has more self check out then registers.

I have also heard of some people who own Fast Food Franchises who are considering walking away, closing up the store. They will still own the franchise rights in that area but have said the increase in minimum wage will either make them break even or become unprofitable and since they are franchises they cannot change their prices to accommodate. Some have said until the Franchises catch up with price increases they will just close their stores. Now with that being said these are in smaller towns which means now there will be less jobs and less options and more empty buildings. Not sure if the same franchises feel the same that are in larger towns as they may have more profit to work with.
    I hate those self-checkout counters. Cashiers are much faster. I usually spend at least 4 times more time when I am fumbling around with those self checkout counters figuring out what to do & how to pay, weigh stuff, how to use coupons etc, with people lining up behind me.

If its a couple of bag of chips or some canned goods, I will go to the self-checkout counter that too because some staff forces me to go there, otherwise almost always I got to a cashier.

We should all refuse to use these self checkout counters, so the companies are forced to bring back the cashiers.

Even with reduced cashiers, I don't mind waiting 15 minutes in the line, that's how much time I spend at the self checkout anyways fumbling along with my groceries & trying to bag them, weigh them etc.
    JadeAngel likes this.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

I was speaking to someone in the know yesterday and apparently our city is about to lose 2000 jobs because of the raise they also expect places like small bars and such will have to shut down because they operate on a tight margin.
    Natalka likes this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

There was a time they used to fill gas in our car for us - now for the same price of gas, we are filling the tank ourselves in freezing weather and snow. NO full serve anymore, just self-serve.

Now we will be bagging, scanning, paying, picking, packing, merchandising, searching for groceries/products ourselves in retail stores for the same price.

Lot of place now just have vending machines for coffee, tea, cold drinks ! You have to make your own and take it to cash & pay for it..LOL.

I go to Wal Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Canadian Tire, RONA - literally I can't find anyone on the shop floor to help me ! I have climbed up ladders myself to get product down from the top shelf after NO one has showed up after half an hour of waiting.

They just page someone to that empty employee less department but NO one shows up. Worse is lot of things are locked up in glass cabinets to prevent shop lifting and you have to wait ages for someone to show up with the keys & to get the product out for you

I think ALL the above things are only going to get worse now.

I think instead of laying off minimum wage employees they should get rid of some top level managers & executives , who are slacking off and making their $ 100,000 + salaries, and hire 4 minimum wage employees in their place in front end positions and on the shop/retail floor

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MillieH View Post
    I was speaking to someone in the know yesterday and apparently our city is about to lose 2000 jobs because of the raise they also expect places like small bars and such will have to shut down because they operate on a tight margin.
    Niagara region also slows down considerably during Winter season, so this will be a double whammy ! Seasonal lay offs plus wage hike layoffs.

I think next 4-5 months are going to be pretty painful for Niagara region
    MillieH likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information