User Tag List

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I hope this is the right place to post this.

We are currently looking to purchase an engagement ring from People's Jewellers. We have read and heard the pros and cons of purchasing extended or lifetime warranties for certain jewellery pieces (especially the ones that you wear on a constant basis and are expensive).

What we were wondering is what are people's experiences dealing with big chain jewellery stores (like People's or Michael Hill) when it comes to their warranties. Was it positive, was it negative, what to be on the lookout for (besides reading the fine print and following everything it requires to maintain the warranty to not void it). Or maybe we are better off taking this ring to a local jeweler for any work that needs to be done.

Thanks in advance.
    This thread is currently associated with: Peoples Jewellers

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

My daughters boyfriend has purchased things for her from peoples and when ever there has been a problem with them there has never been a issue with the warrantee.

She has taken a couple of pieces in for repair so you can also question how well I was made in the first place

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Don't. Regardless of warranty experiences, I would urge you to seek out a jeweler who is smaller but well-established.

Markup at chain stores is big. You get lower-quality products for higher prices. While chain jewelers can buy volume at a discount, the huge volume often shows in workmanship. Compare it to a handbag for example. When a high-end company switches from hand-stitched to mass-produced to cut labor costs, the quality of their bags goes down, but the price doesn't.

With a small local jeweler you might never ever need to get anything fixed because the workmanship is of higher quality than a chain store. The benefit of warranty in this day and age is because "they don't make 'em like they used to". Just go somewhere that makes them like they used to and you won't need that extended warranty. Plus, with a local jeweler, their product is their brand, so they'll be more willing to keep their product in top condition should you need them to fix something than a chain store that rakes in millions and you're just customer number 293834744.

Thread Information