Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mikaelavonh
  • 1 Post By brunt

Thread: Tax Refund - CRA confusion ?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hi All,

So, this is a bit of an odd one. I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience with the CRA and could advise on Timelines and/or if I should believe what Telerefund is telling me ?

I filed April 29th with an assesment date of May 9th. I was HOPING to have my refund by then, but it seems not to be the case. The CRA is/was holding my refund until I filed my HST/Business returns (which were $0.00). So, filed that May 8th. I spoke to the Business-side of the CRA, and my Account is/was all up to date. Apparently there's a flag in their system, that the Individual-Side has to wait for before it will release the funds. I called the Individual Tax side, and as of last Tuesday it was still flagged (ie. to not be released), and could take up to 30 (!!) days for it to be released. I've logged into My Account - it lists that I have a credit, and the usual
    "Your 2016 return was assessed on May 9, 2017. If you have an outstanding balance with us or with another federal, provincial, or territorial government program, part or all of your refund may be used to reduce your outstanding balance. Please refer to your 2016 Notice of Assessment for additional information or call our Enquiries service at 1-800-959-8281."

Nothing about Deposit Date. I called Telerefund, and it tells me a date of May 23rd (tomorrow) - which I have little/no faith in as I believe it would have gone in on Friday night/Saturday AM as that is/was the last business day (today being a stat holiday).

Wondering if anyone has any experience or insight into a (messed up!) situation such as this, and if so - what kind of timelines were you looking at before you had your refund?

Thank-you in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel likes this.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not quite the same, but I had a business refund withheld for two years with not a single red flag in the system. This was unfortunately at a time where I really needed the money, but could not seem to get anywhere with the government.

I eventually contacted my MPP (it was the provincial portion that was being withheld), and within a couple of weeks I received it with no interest (of course) and no explanation.

One of many reasons that I gave up self employment for regular employment many years ago.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I know that if personal returns are filed after April 30, you have to wait 6-8 weeks to get your notice of asssessment as many tax season staff are contract workers up to April 30. So regular CRA staff will be processing returns after April 30 and thus, the longer timeframe to check information and update your account and issue the NOA.

Seems the May date you received is very likely accurate. The paper copy of the NOA should hit your mailbox 5 business days after your refund is direct deposited.

Let us know when the refund reached your account-always good to know of turnaround times.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, May 27th, 2017 at 08:36 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information