User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree290Likes

Thread: Anyone else find it hard to spend $170, $85 or even $60?

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by calculator View Post
    I think the biggest difference is that you mentioned you are able to find things at SDM for prices that are comparable to what you would pay elsewhere. I have a hard time finding items like that (and especially working my total up to whatever the threshold is for the 20x the points offers to apply.) So for me, the bonus points offers are what make purchases at SDM worthwhile, though I still have to factor in the points to be able to countenance spending the sticker price on those items.

But that may change in a couple of weeks, when no one will be price matching the little stores, and I'll have to find other ways to compensate. And this thread is great, with everyone's suggestions of ways to make shopping at Shoppers more efficient/cost-effective (:
    It has become progressively harder to reach the WUS levels as I've stocked up on more and more things. This is largely situation-specific. Our household is only two people plus two cats, and we simply don't have many things we consume / use at rates above a package or two per month. So, for example. if I buy a few packages of something like paper towels or toilet paper in order to reach a WUS level, I won't be in a position to buy more for at least three to six months.
    barbis9 and calculator like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    It has become progressively harder to reach the WUS levels as I've stocked up on more and more things. This is largely situation-specific. Our household is only two people plus two cats, and we simply don't have many things we consume / use at rates above a package or two per month. So, for example. if I buy a few packages of something like paper towels or toilet paper in order to reach a WUS level, I won't be in a position to buy more for at least three to six months.
    And the good deal on Toilet paper on the Sat/Sun only deals has a limit of 4 so it makes it hard to hit the $50/$75 mark on sale items I would actually stock up on.
    barbis9, Arjon and calculator like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    And the good deal on Toilet paper on the Sat/Sun only deals has a limit of 4 so it makes it hard to hit the $50/$75 mark on sale items I would actually stock up on.
    Yeah, as if I didn't impose enough restrictions on my buying patterns, SDM adds plenty more.
    barbis9 and calculator like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    You can buy more than 4 just at a overlimit higher price.
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    You can buy more than 4 just at a overlimit higher price.
    I suspect she knows that. I wonder how often anyone as serious about saving as she seems to be actually buys any at the higher price. I'm obviously only a 1-person sample, but I don't think I ever have, even when I paid far less attention than I do now.
    barbis9 and Frugalbigmama like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    I suspect she knows that. I wonder how often anyone as serious about saving as she seems to be actually buys any at the higher price. I'm obviously only a 1-person sample, but I don't think I ever have, even when I paid far less attention than I do now.
    I've often done it on eggs before. I'd rather get 20x the pts (or whatever) on the $2.79 after limit price, than do a separate transaction for $2.29 with no bonus pts. The limit is always 2, and I usually go through 3 a week. (although I often can do a couple $50 or $75 transactions, so then I split it up so I can get the limits more than once and still get bonus pts on everything)
    barbis9 and innaor like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dagney View Post
    I have also taken my young adult children on shopping sprees. I warn them that we are redeeming points and off we go! I follow behind them with a calculator and say, "keep spending, keep spending" so much fun!! I only buy what I need and stuff on sale so always seems that the points are "free money". 2 out of my 3 kids are SDM people now because of points redemptions.
    having a calculator is a must for me when redeeming.
    Poirot likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have seen keurig machines at Shoppers which retail for around $79, that along with k-cups would make a decent redemption idea.
    dagney and Cake like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information