User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I know everyone is going to say that these are hard times, but I'm having an extrememly difficult time finding a job. I've signed up with employment agencies and am constantly submitted resumes online. Everyone around me searching for jobs are getting them so quickly and easily. Is there any advice for finding a job or any ideas on how to make a little income.

I want to go to school as soon as possible and become a financial advisor. My boyfriend currently pays all the bills and rent, but I want to buy a house and rebuild my credit

Of course I need a job for this or at least a way to MAKE money. Any advice or help would be great.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Apply to any job and accept any job for now and when you get accepted into the job you want then quit and go to the one you want, atleast you have money flow coming to you and have some money to spend/pay back credit cards/loans to improve credits

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Try to build your resume
    Free $175 CASH BONUS open Tangerine bank account $50=chequing, $25=savings, $100=savings program use 36121543S1as the'orange key' CAll1-888-826-4374 refer family/friends,$50 to you + $175 to them Earn up to $3,250 Visithttp://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

You should tailor your resume for every job application. For example, I have a "Professional Profile" section at the top of my resume; this section is placed there for quick editing to tailor it to a job so that it hits the key points from the job posting to allow me to point out what skills I have to match their posting.

Mind you I've been with the same company for a long time now and haven't had to edit my resume for a few years, but it will get an update once I decide to start looking for a new job after the new year as I am still employed until the 31st.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

It all depends on what type of job. When I first moved to Ottawa I used Kijiji.ca to find a job and within 2 weeks I started busing tables at a restaurant. After that job I found another job on kijiji as a nanny and was a waitresses on the side. Over the summer I sent out my resume to almost 30 day cares in my area that were government funded. I got jobs as subs for the majority of the summer with over minimum pay.

If you want help I am a pro for finding people jobs (typically). PM me and I can try to help

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

What kind of job are you looking for ?

Sometimes you are overqualified for a position ..so if you are well educated & with lot of experience but if you are applying for a lower position you might have to dumb down your resume a bit by removing your degrees etc . As the employer knows that since you are well qualified you are not going to stick at the lower job for a long time so won't higher you in the first place .

You will have to tailor your resume for each & every job as another poster mentioned.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Have you considered networking? I know this seems tough when you're trying to establish yourself, but consider getting the word out to all your friends, family, neighbours, etc. that you're looking for work. Many job postings are simply a formality that employers have to go through, despite the fact they already know who they'll be hiring.

Have you considered moving to another part of the country where you'll have a better likelihood of finding employment?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by shennig View Post
    Have you considered moving to another part of the country where you'll have a better likelihood of finding employment?
    Why limit your options only within the country..
    Look at the whole world at a market place, there are areas in the world growing must faster than others. Getting a job in those place is much easier.. it all depends on which passport you have (& some countries have restrictions).

Or get yourself more education, more credentials, more designation, which will help you to reposition for future..

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've learned today that people discriminate on where you live and if you drive or take the bus. What does it matter if I drive or not. I've found that I have to lie and say I drive just to get to the interview.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashedfc View Post
    Why limit your options only within the country..
    Look at the whole world at a market place, there are areas in the world growing must faster than others. Getting a job in those place is much easier.. it all depends on which passport you have (& some countries have restrictions).

Or get yourself more education, more credentials, more designation, which will help you to reposition for future..
    While I agree in principal, I don't know if the current economic climate is going to lend itself to securing decent jobs overseas. Canada is on top right now and will be for the foreseeable future.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by brwonsugal View Post
    I've learned today that people discriminate on where you live and if you drive or take the bus. What does it matter if I drive or not. I've found that I have to lie and say I drive just to get to the interview.
    Yeah, a few of my friends are talking about this the other day. Where we live have very good transit system, but still somehow people still discriminate. One of my friend said that once she went to an interview, one manager asked her if she drives, and the answer was no, the manager was shock and said, u don't have transportation???!!!!. And my friend was put down. She felt bad. But then there is the otherside, the enviro group is telling people not to drive to save the environment.

So, What do we do?
    Free $175 CASH BONUS open Tangerine bank account $50=chequing, $25=savings, $100=savings program use 36121543S1as the'orange key' CAll1-888-826-4374 refer family/friends,$50 to you + $175 to them Earn up to $3,250 Visithttp://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

When an employer is doing the old screening out question trick (driving vs taking bus or veering in no-no land by asking a prohibited question), simply state that you would like the employer to explain how that question relates to the position being discussed. That is an answer I saw in an employment article dealing with discriminatory interview questions in Ontario.

+10 to OP for mentioning the drive vs bus query. Had a couple of those myself and it basically seemed that the employer is wanting to confirm their assumption that I had a car and would get to work on time. Those same employers were clueless about the bus routes near their work locations and they were not offering hourly wages that would support living wages and operating costs for a car. Got to wonder what else the interviewers are clueless about in terms of current employment issues...

Getting the word out about work through one's various network of contacts--OP has to be able to provide a short pitch of what kind of work in which sectors she seeks then ask if contact knows anyone that would need her qualifications, else she will get random leads that will take time away from a targetted job search. Fortunately for her, tax season is coming along in January and she could likely get an office position for a financial services firm. That would be ideal in case the position goes past tax season or there is tuition reimbursement for courses taken towards certification in the field.

Also look to see if there are any financial services open houses coming up and find out if there is a way to volunteer for the day(s) to help out and potentially gain contacts towards the desired job.
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Dec 22nd, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by shennig View Post
    While I agree in principal, I don't know if the current economic climate is going to lend itself to securing decent jobs overseas. Canada is on top right now and will be for the foreseeable future.
    Not really..
    I know a Canadian guy who is teaching English to kids in Vietnam & is very happy there, he was not getting a satisfactory job here. You don't need a lot of money to live in those countries. A high salary there can still mean your income is below the Canadian minimum basic exemption for income tax purpose.
    Canadian economy is doing good; but keep in mind -"If someone is struggling to get a job in a good economy than what will happen when economy turns soft & highly skilled people get unemployed; isn't it more competition then"

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashedfc View Post
    Not really..
    I know a Canadian guy who is teaching English to kids in Vietnam & is very happy there, he was not getting a satisfactory job here. You don't need a lot of money to live in those countries. A high salary there can still mean your income is below the Canadian minimum basic exemption for income tax purpose.
    Canadian economy is doing good; but keep in mind -"If someone is struggling to get a job in a good economy than what will happen when economy turns soft & highly skilled people get unemployed; isn't it more competition then"
    I think this really depends on the person. Some people like to move around and some people don't.

Trading Score
    21 (88%)

My sister is a career and work counselor, who works for an employment agency and these are the tips she has given me, and they are all pretty simple and work like a charm!

1. Apply everywhere! If your unemployed and need a job, then being picky about where you work isn't going to get you anywhere. When I first moved to the city I am in now, I worked at McDonald's for 6 months before getting the job in HR that I have now. Did I want to work at McDonald's? no of course not, but it was the first place to offer me a job. Was I over qualified for the position? yes, but again it was my first chance of employment.

2. It isn't enough to just apply online: There are a lot of companies that although they have online hiring, would still love for you to go into the place in person and drop a resume. The best way to do this, is apply online and then take your resume to the store itself and inform them "that you have applied online, but also wanted to drop it off in person". Companies love this, even if they don't take the resume when you go in they have at least seen who you are.

3. Don't leave your resume with just anyone! Always ask to speak with the person who handles hiring! They are going to be the ones calling you back for an interview..not the employee that you left your resume with. If there is no manager available, ask when they will be in again and come back! You can even ask for a number to contact them, and call to set up a time when you can drop off your resume.

4. Don't have a generic resume: Personalize every resume you hand out, This way you have fresh printed copies to hand everyone. This doesn't just mean that you gear your resume to every company, but it also needs to be geared towards yourself after all a resume is a representation of yourself. For instance, instead of a plain old straight line black and white resume. All my resumes are done in color, of course the main font is always size 12 and black. I often have my headers/borders/headers/footers done in neutral colors that are enough to stand out amongst the sea of ugly black and white resumes. Please keep in mind you don't want to use neon colors or other unappealing ones.

5. Never visit places during their busy times! This is a given, if you are going into a store dropping off a resume in the middle of lunch rush nothing is going to show how much you don't know about a company more than that. It's a big inconvenience to stores when it is full of people and you just want to drop of a resume when they could be serving a customer. Be informed, come in early before their daily rushes start.

6. Always do follow up calls: One or two weeks later, always ask to speak with whoever you left your resume with to see if they have had a chance to review it. You are simply doing a courtesy call to see how things are, not to demand they look at your resume. This is also a good time to ask if they would be interested in references, if they weren't before.

7. If you aren't working, volunteeror do small side jobs! Employers want to see that you are making the best out of being unemployed. You have a lot of free time on your hands so you might as well do something that you can add to your resume. If you are volunteering or cleaning a house for an old lady once or twice a week while looking for a job, this says "hey! this person is really serious about wanting a job and are doing all they can in the mean time" opposed to that "oh well they are unemployed, why can't they get a job?"

8. Dress for the job you are applying for! If you are applying to a job that is pretty basic and is maybe only paying min wage -12.00 hr. Dress at that level, you can wear jeans but pair it with a nice top and blazer so that you look presentable and well groomed but don't over dressed. If you where applying in business somewhere or for a higher paying job, you'd want to do business casual where it's appropriate to where heels and suits.

9. Show confidence! Don't walk into a store in an arrogant manor, like you already have the job. Go in with the attitude that you are going to get the job, this way you are not being over confident but you are showing that you are confident in your abilities to be successful at this job.

These are basic, even pretty much common sense. But they work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information