• 1 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Colsgirl

Thread: MLMs sending people into debt and psychological crisis

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    In a Taco truck on a street corner near you
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

“I was urged to stop paying my bills to invest in more inventory. I was urged to get rid of television. I was urged to pawn my vehicle. I just had to get on anxiety meds over all of it because I’ve started having panic attacks.”
    In June 2016, Sophie (name changed) quit her job in the suburbs of Fort Worth, Texas to sell for LuLaRoe, a rapidly growing clothing company that offers self-employment opportunities to American women in the form of hawking hyper-hued apparel. LuLaRoe’s consultants told her—and tens of thousands of other mostly rural and suburban women over the past five years—that she could provide for her family, join a sisterhood of supportive women, and find meaning in her life again through the conduit of colorful, stretchy fashion—all for a reasonable upfront investment of around $5,000.
    As economic opportunity has become more concentrated in urban areas in the US, rural communities have fallen behind. Residents of towns like Casper (Wyoming), Spring Creek (Nevada), and DeRidder (Louisiana) all missed out on economic recovery following the 2007 global financial crisis. Bootstrapping, hard-working families in these regions are urgently searching for a way to regain their economic liberty, along with their dignity.
    Fed the fantasy of achieving the all-elusive American dream, many of them are being wooed by multilevel-marketing companies. Known as MLMs (or “direct-sales”), the current US administration is stocked with their cheerleaders: Betsy DeVos, the secretary of education, is married to a cofounder of Amway; Ben Carson is a spokesperson for a vitamin MLM called Mannatech; and president Donald Trump used to have an MLM, Trump Network, and was a spokesperson for another.
    https://qz.com/1039331/mlms-like-avo...ogical-crisis/
    This thread is currently associated with: Avon, Spring Shoes
    Ciel likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'd be wanting to know why $5K was needed upfront. Am aware of several people selling storage or tote bags, cosmetic or supplment or tea lines through direct sales. The trick is for them to find different people to sell to as their social networks get tapped over and over for sales parties, even if some of the group members have no use for the products.

When Mom was telling me about a person who keeps trying to pitch her something, I suggested she offer her new prospects instead of any promise to attend future events.
    Colsgirl likes this.
    2017-Year of the Rooster

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

OMG don't pay your bills and give us $5k of your money instead ... my parents always told me that if something seems to good to be true, it usually is. There is no way that I would ever not pay a bill to throw money at something that has no guarantees. Saying that, I know so many people who have side 'businesses' avon, eipicure etc and I keep getting invited to their darn parties. As fast as I am invited, I decline ... it is their choice to try selling to their friends and it is my right not to have stuff pushed at me that I don't want.
    Ciel likes this.
    Open an account with EQ Bank Savings Plus Account, they pay 2.30 % no minimum balance required, use my referral code: RE-F027830200195 and you and I will both get $25 when you open an account www.eqbank.ca before June 20, 2017!

Open an account with Tangerine (ING) using my ORANGE KEY: 44683723S1. www.tangerine.ca

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There's a really good Documentary on Netflix about a big MLM Herbalife called Betting on Zero

Thread Information