• 1 Post By akajw
  • 1 Post By Mamabearrina
  • 3 Post By rockco
  • 1 Post By clumsygal
  • 4 Post By rockco
  • 4 Post By Arjon
  • 2 Post By clumsygal
  • 1 Post By Aquaria

Thread: walmart is now scanning printable coupon ?!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not sure if it is the right place to post . ( sorry , if it isn't )

Was at walmart ( agincourt mall ) this afternoon and using a printable P & G coupon . The cashier told me from now on they have to scan all the PRINTABLE coupons to make sure they are not duplicated.
    While I think the idea is fair , here comes a question ~ for coupon like p& g which has an unique coupon code for each printable coupon certainly doesn't raise any problem ~ but for some other sites , they might only come up with the same code for EVERYONE . So if someone else use the coupon at the same location before me , they will deny mine ???!!!

Just wonder if anyone heard anything about the new walmart printable coupon policy or experience any trouble when using those coupons which without an unique code yet ?
    Thanks !
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    onairstar35 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

scan as in scanning the barcode? and their system actually reads it?? this is unusual. p&g coupons as well as smartsource all have same barcodes, but different PINs on the top-right that is only in numbers.
    clumsygal likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I really have no idea how it works !!! But she did scan the barcode of mine , then told me and the customer behind me this NEW procedure !!!
    Last edited by clumsygal; Fri, Aug 18th, 2017 at 07:46 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Hi,
    I used a printed coupon today at Walmart and all they did was look at it before deducting it from my order.
    clumsygal likes this.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Depends on cashier . I have cashiers that scan them and some that don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    clumsygal likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks for all the replies. i don't use printable coupons often, so just find it a little odd.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think the cashier misunderstood their procedures.

The P&G coupons with the double bar codes have always been scannable by the Walmart system, like this:
    Name:  PG BARCODE.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  21.5 KB

Coupons with the single bar codes are not scannable. It's easier to train the cashiers to input both types of bar codes manually as manufacturers coupon.

The scanning of bar codes does not prevent the use of duplicate printed copies. The bar code represents the discount & product, whereas the PIN# represents the unique print. When inputting the coupon into the point of sale system, Walmart has no ability to verify that the PIN# has been used/not used.

Agincourt Walmart has odd procedures. If there’s a mistake made in checkout (ie: double scan, remove item), the cashier is instructed to cancel the entire receipt (and has to wait for CSM to remotely cancel) and then scan every thing again. They are never allowed to reverse a previously scanned item.
    Last edited by rockco; Fri, Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:24 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Rockco, thank you very much for all the details , it's clear enough for a coupon dummy like me .
    And you're right, the checkout procedure at agincourt walmart is odd , i've experienced quite a few times of the situation that you mentioned. That's the reason why i seldom use coupons , especially the printable ones ~ feel extremely embarrassing to hold the line when there's a long lineup .
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No such think as being a "coupon dummy", we're all continually learning. I'm glad you posted your question, as sometimes an incident like yours, might mean a big change is coming.

I actually wish there was a way for the stores to "confirm" an internet printed coupon is legitimate. We couponers always receive the extra scrutiny of our coupons, and it takes up more of our time and delays our checkout.

Although Agincourt Walmart has these odd procedures, I'm sure it necessary. It is an extremely busy store, employees work hard and are always challenged with difficult customers.

@clumsygal , thanks for your note.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by clumsygal View Post
    Rockco, thank you very much for all the details , it's clear enough for a coupon dummy like me .
    And you're right, the checkout procedure at agincourt walmart is odd , i've experienced quite a few times of the situation that you mentioned. That's the reason why i seldom use coupons , especially the printable ones ~ feel extremely embarrassing to hold the line when there's a long lineup .
    There's no need whatsoever to feel embarrassed, especially since much of the reason when using them takes time is beyond your control; e.g. cashiers who don't know their store's policy, how to recognise valid ones and/or how to input them due to lack or training.

So, while I won't claim I don't get annoyed when a line stalls in front of me, it tends to be directed more at the store and/or cashier. The main exception is when someone is couponing (and/or PMing) without being prepared; e.g. it saves time for the clerk, you and everyone in line behind you if get in the habit of highlighting the expiry dates. If you don't want to highlight every single coupon you clip or print, one alternative is to carry a highlighter and to take a few seconds to mark the ones you're going to use before you go to the checkout, or even while in line.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks Arjon and Rocko for the kind words !
    literally using coupon also have another challenge for me ... it's how to comprehend the restrictions on the coupon !
    Like about a couple months ago i was trying to use a clover leaf's coupon to buy 3 can of 85 g flavoured tuna, which said " save 2.00 on any three of clover leaf's variety of flavoured tuna 85g & 142g, snacks90g & 99g and tonno preferito gourmet yellowfin in pure olive oil 3x 80g pack". The cashier told me i MUST buy three DIFFERENT products in order to use the coupon . So i said sorry to her for my misinterpretation. But later on when i learned that some of the smart canucks were actually able to use the same coupon to buy three of the same single product without any problems reallyleft me a great confused

And talking about price match , after two failed attempts to buy some christie crackers years ago, i don't bother to take the advantage unless i am buying EXACTLY the same item shown on the flyer , coz some cashiers insisted other flavours are not included for the sale !!! Don't wanna make a scene just to save a dollar or so, and I understand they might having some hard time at work .
    I would say being a smart shopper is not easy and could be very stressful sometimes , a clumsygal like me certainly failed to be one
    Durham Couponer and rockco like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

it's true. i had such cashiers at walmart. they want the PICTURE in the flyer to be the exact product you are getting.. so now i just get the exact one or i go somewhere else.
    clumsygal likes this.

Thread Information