User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Advice on getting meat eater to eat one dinner a week meatless

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My husband is a meat eater. Meat at lunch and dinner. I only eat meat at dinner!
    I tried to convince him to go meatless and I can do curries with chickpeas once a week to save money plus bonus I get lunch for a couple days. He also refuses to take left overs for lunch and only buy cold cuts and expensive bread for lunches. Starting to bug me since I feel like I am the only one trying to budget and get our mortgage down quicker.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Give him the food budget for the week and ask him for alternative ways to make both sides happy. I think most people are surprised at what they can change in their weekly spending to make ends meet
    ROMEO, Ciel and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I'm on the opposite end hubby will only eat chicken and rice, soup he's not a fan of sandwiches either.
    Maybe you can keep him happy buying cheaper cuts of meat. We stew a lot of our chicken either curry or even some jerk sauce with ketchup. We eats lots of rice and stock up when it's on sale.
    He doesn't like a lot of pasta but has been known to happily eat it up with some curry chicken.
    He is very picky will only eat certain things get sick of the same thing easily too. I try to switch.it up through out the week maybe throw in a soup once a week. He likes fish but not salmon which is what i prefer. Its a lot of compromise mostly on my end.
    Not sure if i helped at all but please be sure to come back and let us know what worked for you we can all learn from eachother

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

I have't won this battle yet! I feel your pain!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Purdee, Ciel and SnowFlakey like this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That you it's nice to know others feel the pain. I made cauliflower curry last night with chicken and I asked him next time we have it would he mind if I put chickpeas. He said sure since he it will be coated in curry. Baby steps!!!
    ROMEO, Ciel, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blovely View Post
    That you it's nice to know others feel the pain. I made cauliflower curry last night with chicken and I asked him next time we have it would he mind if I put chickpeas. He said sure since he it will be coated in curry. Baby steps!!!
    Wtg!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Ciel, SnowFlakey and Anna Michele like this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There was a British show I watched where the host put lentils, along with ground lamb, into a shepherd's pie. So not exactly a veg meal... but it used less ground meat. I don't like lamb, so I'd opt for a cottage pie.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

sounds like my hubby but mine won't even eat cauliflower; however, he will eat tofu. So I make soft tofu stew with a tomato sauce, serve over steamed rice. His fav. is deep fried tofu and oyster dipping sauce; a popular dish in any chinese restaurant here but at a fraction of a cost. There's stuffed tofu, tofu and lemongrass, etc. You can get extra firm tofu and marinate it similar to a steak then grill it. Lots of tofu recipes online. Tofu is actually cheaper than cauliflower here, $2.29 (tofu) vs $2.99 (cauliflower at the lowest price i've seen)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For me, I look for alternative so that I can avoid of eating them. I avoid buying them when I went for grocery. But sometimes, I had a cheat day! I ate meat but only a portion of it.
    Ciel and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Just make meals that don't/aren't supposed to include any meat in the first place. It's way easier on a meat eater to do that than substitute something else where meat is supposed to be. I'd be happier to eat (for example) ricotta and spinach shells in a marinara sauce than spaghetti bolognese made with tofu instead of meat. I'm fine eating meatless, but don't give me something that looks like meat but tastes like forgery.

I can only describe it this way; don't make it walk like a duck and quack like a duck if it's cauliflower. That's disappointing.

Try pinterest searching meatless meals or vegetarian meals. Skip past anything that has any word in quotations, eg "meatballs".

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Saw a chili in a sheet pan recipe in the local paper-it's meatless.
    https://www.thespec.com/living-story...t-pan-flavour/

At least it does not have eggplant in it. I tried a veggie chili with eggplant and it did not taste good to me (rather sour).
    SnowFlakey likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

there are many diseases related to eating much meat
    its bad for his health
    SnowFlakey likes this.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Hubby will not eat any vegetarian meat. And weve tried them all, from Yves to the 50/50. For us, it just doesnt taste good. Dont like tofu either. I try to have meatless meals at least once or twice a week. Doesnt always work, but i try. Anything from a green salad with egg salad to green salad with tuna salad. Egg omlettes is great.

Or you can make chili but add more vegies and less ground beef. Its like going cold turkey when you quit smoking. Most of the time it doesnt work if you eliminate too fast. So try going slowly. If hubby likes a big steak, get a smaller steak and add more vegies or salad. For lunches at work, you can look for less salt cold cuts, or eliminate a couple of slices and add lettuce, or tomato or bean sprouts. you can also change their bread from white or whole wheat to ciabatta or croissants, or crusty buns. Maybe little changes will help.

Most of the time when i am making a meat supper,. i always include a salad and serve hubby less meat.
    Last edited by SnowFlakey; Thu, Jan 14th, 2021 at 12:11 PM.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have found the biggest factor that has helped in our household is to make sure our vegetarian meals are filing. I find if it is not filing it will not get a second go.

Pasta dishes are usually a hit, we made a French Onion Pasta Bake or Spinach and Ricotta Pasta Bake. We also make Zucchini Roll Ups which is a version of lasagna but you use Zucchini instead of noodles.

I find the biggest thing is making sure we do not feel like we missing the meat, our favourites are to use Mushrooms & Zucchini in our Vegetarian dishes.
    SnowFlakey likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I JUST came across this awesome looking vegetarian Shepherd's Pie. I have not made it yet, but it looked so darn convincing the way she packed it with flavour tricks ( like browning those onions very dark ).
    If anyone is interested and makes it, post to let us know if it is worthy of giving up meat for one meal?
    I like the way she kept her blooper moments in the final cut, cute.

Anna Michele likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information