User Tag List

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree1499Likes

Thread: October 2017 Frugal Chatter Thread

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Thursday! Hopefully this work day goes by quickly so I can get home and get laundry on the go and all the other fun stuff lol. I grabbed chili from the freezer for my lunch today.

Dinner last night was late by the time we got home. I had a family pack of lean beef thawed in the fridge that I had to deal with so I made it all into burger patties and cooked them all. The teen came home last night and into my bedroom (I went to bed early- was wiped!) and told me he was happy I made burgers lol. Thanks for letting me know kid haha. Will put the leftovers in the freezer and will be a quick dinner one night when we are rushing (just have to make a quick salad!).

Hope to do some batch cooking this weekend. Butternut squash soup is on the menu- I already have everything I need for it so no excuses! Will see what deals I find out shopping on Saturday since I have not much on my list at all but fresh fruit and veggies.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Good morning everyone,

Sorry I haven't checked in @lilo0003 ,

Life has been a roller coaster ride since the last time I chatted on the thread,

anyways life is somewhat back to normal or my normal (haha)

I have 1 load of laundry out handing, the 2nd in the dryer and the 3rd sheets will be going outside

I need to get some baking done & into the freezer to save on the convenient & expensive lunch snacks.

Starting today I'm back to my 3 list rule, need to get 3 things done on the list so that I get motivated

I've been getting dh to pickup a few items on the facebook group for sale sites, we got a lovely solid shelf that you hang on the wall for the cottage and 2 end tables, solid wood for $5. I will refinish them in time (on my list) but truly they were a gift for that price

Dh is now permanent with the school board which is great news in many ways (benefits, pension & stability).

My young men are growing like weeds, I now have to look up to them.

We have gotten more chickens since my last chat and can't keep up with the egg demand from dh's work & egg customers. Atleast they are paying for themselves and we get fresh eggs as a bonus. In the spring we will incubate and raise our own to fill the freezer.

We purchased a 2017 Chevy Silverado in late August, dh is driving the car as much as possible to save the warranty on the truck.

Lots of other stuff I'm sure is new but since so much time has passed I forget & I guess we just adjusted.

Dh is in the Christmas spirit already he has been picking up stocking stuffers for the boys which is nice, saves me having to worry about the perfect items.

I was quite disappointed when pc plus announced points could no longer be redeemed for gift cards as that was our saving grace for the last few years for Christmas gifts/expenses.

Does anyone know if you can still purchase electronics from SuperStore using the points, I would imagine but I'm uncertain @Frugalbigmama and/or others,

Enjoy your day folks, I will check in later & try and catch up on October's thread.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Good morning everyone,

Sorry I haven't checked in @lilo0003,

Life has been a roller coaster ride since the last time I chatted on the thread,

anyways life is somewhat back to normal or my normal (haha)

I have 1 load of laundry out handing, the 2nd in the dryer and the 3rd sheets will be going outside

I need to get some baking done & into the freezer to save on the convenient & expensive lunch snacks.

Starting today I'm back to my 3 list rule, need to get 3 things done on the list so that I get motivated

I've been getting dh to pickup a few items on the facebook group for sale sites, we got a lovely solid shelf that you hang on the wall for the cottage and 2 end tables, solid wood for $5. I will refinish them in time (on my list) but truly they were a gift for that price

Dh is now permanent with the school board which is great news in many ways (benefits, pension & stability).

My young men are growing like weeds, I now have to look up to them.

We have gotten more chickens since my last chat and can't keep up with the egg demand from dh's work & egg customers. Atleast they are paying for themselves and we get fresh eggs as a bonus. In the spring we will incubate and raise our own to fill the freezer.

We purchased a 2017 Chevy Silverado in late August, dh is driving the car as much as possible to save the warranty on the truck.

Lots of other stuff I'm sure is new but since so much time has passed I forget & I guess we just adjusted.

Dh is in the Christmas spirit already he has been picking up stocking stuffers for the boys which is nice, saves me having to worry about the perfect items.

I was quite disappointed when pc plus announced points could no longer be redeemed for gift cards as that was our saving grace for the last few years for Christmas gifts/expenses.

Does anyone know if you can still purchase electronics from SuperStore using the points, I would imagine but I'm uncertain @Frugalbigmama and/or others,

Enjoy your day folks, I will check in later & try and catch up on October's thread.
    Welcome back! You have been missed!!

RE: PC POINTS- Yes you can still use points to redeem for everything else, electronics etc just not for gift cards anymore. It sucks but really if you want giftcards, buy them there and pay for with grocery budgeted money then redeem your points for your groceries! I was disappointed too but at least we still have PC points to gain and redeem

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Our son was given plastic Tinkertoys a couple years ago, dh’s coworker’s girl’s didn’t really play with them. They were older and many have broken. I found someone selling this set of wooden ones, which unfortunately aren’t compatible. We bought them anyway and our kids are having a blast. Paid $20.

I bought this new double stroller for $40. It folds down and fits in the back of my van better than my current one. If I like this brown stroller better, then I’ll sell me current black double stroller.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, Oct 19th, 2017 at 12:29 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Glad to see you back J and C after your whirlwind summer. Sounds like you have a great little egg business going there and congrats on the new vehicle and the stable job for your DH.

DH just hooked up our new dishwasher as we have been handwashing the dishes for 2 weeks-a first world problem I know but I guess we get pretty spoiled.

On another note, I got to thinking this morning I was planning to cash in $40 in airmiles for groceries as I like getting free food. If say I only had $40 this week for groceries( which is not the case) what would I buy-i.e. best nutrition for limited dollars. I think I would buy rolled oats, potatoes, eggs, canned tuna, bread, dried lentils and beans and whatever fresh fruit and veggies I could get on sale or marked down-likely no meat unless marked at 50% off and even then you could not afford much. I would sure miss cheese though which we love- but it is pricey.

What would you buy if you were/are on a very limited budget for food?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@lizziebargain -I would definitely nab 1 pkg. hot dogs on sale and reduced buns if on sale; meat does not often get on the list but frozen entrees like 2 for $5 might (everyone wants a change in menu). I agree with most of your picks but would consider dropping bread for pasta (pantry surprise in my specialty) as it's more versatile. Potatoes-interestingly, I'd buy one or two sweet potatoes to cook and mash for the vitamin A (no need to add milk or butter but ground nutmeg works)- (but not a bag of white potatoes) or maybe rice or quinoa (protein). Agree with fresh fruit and veg on the reduction carts.

The problem I have with $40 for groceries-if they are not all food items, personal care items can up-end the $40 limit. Been there, done that or gone without certain food items to cover personal care needs. So it does help to have store flyer deals, loyalty program offers (AM or AM coupons) or coupons to <stretch> that $40. Good thing produce tends to be tax-free!

BTW, I noticed that eating cooked lentils, while filling, causes flatulence. Guess I'll have to add some oil to future bowls of legumes (like cooked kale fans do) to help minimize the side effect. Glad I saw that tip in Walmart's Live Better magazine earlier in the year.
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Oct 19th, 2017 at 12:14 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@jasperandchar - WELCOME BACK
    Thanks @cath007 for mentioning her return!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

welcome back jasperand char -my summer was a rollercoaster too ,my daughter is separated with a now 1 year old ,so nice to see you are back on here -life throws us a lot of curve balls for sure ,glad hubby got in full time and nice new vechicle also

-on the xmas note I have almost done my 2 grandkids and baby-to be is done

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Saw a Lowes flyer preview yesterday and nearly had a shock-but realized the Valspar paint in the new flyer is not my version. I could not believe a pail of paint reg. price could be $65.99 as my paint had been 51.99 for eggshell or 55.99 for satin. Then I realized Valspar Signature Reserve is yet another version of the chain's paint line. That's it-I'm putting my closet back together and will buy paint when I remember to do so on sale.

Evening can walk-no cans, but 95 cents in coins (quite a bonanza as I'm lucky to find a dime or loonie in one area every so often). Did find 2 more Monopoly game pieces (thanks pop drinker).

I watched the Weather Network forecast and when I saw it'd be 12C overnight, popped over to the thermostat to see why it had come on. It was set to 70F and should be at 68F. The room temp was just over 72F, so I adjusted the setting so we would not have a third night of heat. If it was 0C outside, yes then heat would be lovely in am. Don't want a shrieking father just yet when the next gas bill comes in (have to see what the current equal billing plan amount is-rollercoaster city sometimes). And seeing news online that we're in for a cold long winter has not banished recall of $131/mo gas bill sightings from prior winters.

I'm going to Sobey's to see what the Tia Rosa meal kit and free beef offer is about (tomorrow's flyer).
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Some of the SC members are big fans of Jane's chicken products. Did the recall affecting two products get posted in Shopping Discussion? https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-recalled.html
    Newfiescreech and cath007 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Welcome back J&C.

Dh came home from work twice this week with a grocery bag of free items from his co-worker. She has two daughters and has been giving us kids things since our oldest was a baby. Dh commented that this is why he buys fundraiser items from this co-worker, boxes of cookies or chocolates. This co-worker has given us countless items over the years.
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, Oct 19th, 2017 at 12:50 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Glad to see you back J and C after your whirlwind summer. Sounds like you have a great little egg business going there and congrats on the new vehicle and the stable job for your DH.

DH just hooked up our new dishwasher as we have been handwashing the dishes for 2 weeks-a first world problem I know but I guess we get pretty spoiled.

On another note, I got to thinking this morning I was planning to cash in $40 in airmiles for groceries as I like getting free food. If say I only had $40 this week for groceries( which is not the case) what would I buy-i.e. best nutrition for limited dollars. I think I would buy rolled oats, potatoes, eggs, canned tuna, bread, dried lentils and beans and whatever fresh fruit and veggies I could get on sale or marked down-likely no meat unless marked at 50% off and even then you could not afford much. I would sure miss cheese though which we love- but it is pricey.

What would you buy if you were/are on a very limited budget for food?
    I hate unloading the dishwasher and mine seems to run a long time so I'm sure it is an energy hog. I usually run it once a week on the weekend and hand wash all week.

Cheese- Armstrong family bars were on for $3.77 between No Frills and Walmart the past few weeks so I grabbed a few each time I went. Went into Walmart on the weekend and they had them on for $3!!! ( they had to many from the sale ) so I bought 6 more. I counted them this morning and I have 18 bars in my fridge!!! We are set for cheese till May (expiry date lol)

Purchases on limited budget? Eggs/oatmeal/bread/bananas and then my fruits and veggies would depend on the sales that week (which is what I do each week already) I like to watch other people shop and it makes me cringe. They shop for the week and buy what they want/need. One roast/ one chicken/etc etc. If they only knew how to shop the sales and stock up when on sale they would actually spend less. For a few weeks back I was spending $60 each week on a certain week. One week chicken the next roast beef. It seemed like a lot of money but now I have a stocked freezer and it really wasn't that bad since it reduces my future week shopping (I doubt I will spend over $20 this coming weekend for the week.)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@Ciel . When I moved into my house I had to paint. (everything was white). I bought Benjamin Moore around $50 can. Then I found the Rona collection paint and they had it on sale Buy 1 Get 1 Free. I stocked up and have 1 can left. They had this sale again on the Thanksgiving weekend and we tried to stop in North Bay while traveling North for dinner. We pulled in the parking lot at 2:03pm on the Sunday. They closed at 2pm. UGH not meant to be I guess.
    My friend always buys the Walmart paint that is less then $20 a can and seems to like it.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Behr paint (Home Depot) in the living room (one colour on walls/baseboards, soft white on ceiling and moulding or whatever those wide upper borders are called) still is looking new 6 years after painting! My cream paint looks good on the walls and ceiling so that cements the proximity/where to buy paint dilemma for pedestrian-me (no bus fares or sought rides were necessary to get painting needs).

Lowes is able to replicate paint colours from other brands/lines. I have a Martha Stewart colour in mind should the main floor bathroom get updated/repaired.

Still seeing monarchs and ladybugs in the sunshine today. Trekked to Sobeys-the Tia Rosa promo in tomorrow's flyer will be a scan at cash deal-got two treats and some produce. No Monopoly pieces found but on the way home, there is a bag that *may* be worth checking. Did find a beer can and know of one more nearby.

Found a quarter or lookalike on the road (it's not the larger UK 50p coin) but it was so scratched/rusted, I could not make out the denomination/year or origin. I pitched it into the wastecan where I found a free copy of The Bay Observer (someone routinely bins it from their mail) yesterday. Random dime spotted just off the sidewalk at a bus stop as I was leaving the recycling area (my can from Sobeys)!

While reading an older copy of Good Housekeeping last night, I saw that Vaseline ad for their intensive care lotion for mature skin. While I was in Shoppers to get a postal code for a piece of mail, I spotted the lotion (last one) and on sale for $5.99. So I bought it and will tell you all if it does buffer that itchy and scratchy skin effect (despite all those petrochemical names on the list on the bottle). Micro droplets of petroleum jelly must work or the next time, I'll just stock up on Vaseline on sale and lip balm sticks to use at night to help my skin feel better.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh yes FBM-would definitely have to have bananas on my fruit list. Really I think I should live in the tropics where I can grow them in my backyard-lol! According to the energy star rating that came with the dishwasher it should cost $31 per year to run with an electric water heater and $20 with gas. Or 258 KW hrs per year-of course I am sure the water would cost more than that. They do say based on an average of 4 loads a week, whereas I think many families run it every day. I was actually surprised to see it was that low-I would have thought it might cost that much per month to run-shows what I know!

DH was telling me there is some app you can download to connect to your DW to trouble shoot any problems with it-good grief I don't even have a smart phone. I do hope it can also wash dishes-lol.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information