User Tag List

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree1908Likes

Thread: Our friend Natalka

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Natalka, I haven't been lucky enough to interact with you much on the forum but I still think of you as a friend. I think you are that kind of person who draws out the best in people. You and your family are in my prayers as well.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Wishing you a good day Natalka!
    So glad the weather is milder--are you able to get out for some fresh air?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Remembering you&yours in prayer,hoping there is some improvement.
    Newfiescreech, Natalka and Ciel like this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Thinking of you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Thank you so much, everyone, for your continued good wishes, encouragement, and prayers.

So I've been home a month - and it's been difficult. The hardest thing is getting around the house all the time with the cane only, and not being able to use the walker. Let alone my knees hurt, but my left hip gets really hurty, along with both shoulders/arms from hefting myself up. I've also had a few bouts of sciatica, which goes down the left side from my back to my ankle - and that really cramps my style, literally!

Today I had my first outing - to see my GP - and, sure, it had to be -40 out there! Well, I couldn't have made it without my dear, very strong husband - who was there to hold me while I was walking, and there to help me get up from sitting (gah, I had to use the washroom after I saw the doc, and geez, I thought I was going to be stuck there since the toilet was so low. But husband was with me, and we finally figured out a way that he could help me get up... At home, we have a commode over the toilet, so the seat is raised).

I did the stairs leaving our house really well, and the walkway was clear - husband had put on salt as well, so that was fine with me using the cane, and husband helping me across the boulevard snow to the van. At the doc's, he parked really close so I only had steps to go to get into the office. Getting back into the house was a little tougher since I was so sore, but I made it - and husband said over and over how proud he was of how well I did.
    You see, he's mega-strong, so ordinarily I would totally just accept any help pulling or lifting from him, but I was worried about doing it today because of his hernia - however, he just said he would do what he could (which was lots) and hopefully he'll be okay.

I needed all my prescriptions refilled (still freaks me how many I have to use now). Good news is that my BP was normal - so my meds for that can stay as they are. I will have to get a home monitor, though. It's because of my congestive heart failure that my BP can go all over the place.

Sleeping is not going well - I am up pretty much up every hour all night - so more sleep overall than I used to get prior to going in the hospital, but at the hospital I slept well. That's being on the same sleeping pill, too. So doc has increased the dosage, and we'll see if that helps.

Knees - couldn't figure out why they've been so much worse this past week or so, til I realized that the cortisone shots I had have probably worn off already, so I'll have to contact the ortho to get those done again. I can get them done every three months.

Sorry this is so long, but there was lots to update!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh dear @Natalka I was hoping the above post would have contained much more positive info, but clearly you still are struggling with pain and being physically mobile. Again, your DH is a saint. THAT is love, to be there " in sickness and in health " .
    I applaud your determination and efforts in getting around despite your pain. Keep strong. Hope that the increase in the dosage of sleeping pills will see you sleeping longer.
    Take care.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Nat-I think you could get a handicapped parking sticker-at least for awhile. My physio did the paperwork for me to have one for 3 months over the summer when I was hobbling around on a cane-it really helped me to be able to park close. I hope you start to feel better.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@Natalka you are one lucky lady to have a wonderful and caring Husband . Take it one day at a time . Hope your new meds help you to get more sleep so you can be rested to work on getting strong. Always thinking and praying for you and your loved ones take care my friend

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks for the update, take it one day at a time,still praying for you all.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Nat-I think you could get a handicapped parking sticker-at least for awhile. My physio did the paperwork for me to have one for 3 months over the summer when I was hobbling around on a cane-it really helped me to be able to park close. I hope you start to feel better.
    Thanks. When I was in the hospital, my OT offered to organize me one, but since I wouldn't be driving anyway, I declined. If I go somewhere, husband leaves me right at the entrance. Mind you, I've been reconsidering it anyway, to have just in case.

----

To all of you again, thanks so much for messages and PMs, it's just such a boost for me - all prayers, good wishes, and ideas are most welcome!

The increased dosage of the sleeping pill has me sleeping maybe a little bit more - up during the night every 1 1/2 to two hours instead of every single hour. Gosh, what I wouldn't do to sleep longer, gah! I must just be one of those special people not meant to sleep! But that can't be, because my body/brain need to!!!
    Last edited by Natalka; Tue, Jan 23rd, 2018 at 01:56 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Nat-I noticed on CTV online( near the bottom left of the page) that they have a very successful program out East designed to keep people with COPD out of hospital. You may be interested in reading it, even though it has not come to your province yet. I am sure after your 4 month stay you would prefer to be home! Cheers!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Newfiescreech likes this.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

@TudorChick the attachment doesn't show...

I got contacted by a physiotherapist from community services who will be coming to assess me on how I've been since at home. The PT at the hospital said the waiting list was months and months, and here it is only six weeks.

She'll come on Monday, sounded really nice on the phone. She asked lots of questions, and we'll discuss things further then. She will bring me a side walker/cane to try - she assumed I was using my walker at home, and they are concerned a cane isn't stable enough for me. (I agree, there are times I feel really wonky and get concerned, obviously especially when my knees/legs are fatigued or hurting.) That aid was not shown to me while I was on the convalescent ward - I didn't know what it was until I googled it.

I will also have an OT come visit at some point as well.

Well, today I made supper all by myself - it took all afternoon! Sure, it was yummy, but gosh it was really hard work and took a lot of thinking, let alone doing.
    Because I can't do something like cook something on the stove because I can't stand long, I had to figure out how to prep things so I could do them in the oven. I used to like to make one-big-roaster meals, but I can't do that when I'm alone because I can't use two arms to carry something, let alone get it in the oven. I had to do things in pans that I could grab with one hand, and have them not be too heavy.

But wowsers, was I hurting afterwards, I still am, and I imagine I will through the night and tomorrow - knees, hips, back, shoulders, hands.... gah!

Still, it was worth it because it is one of my son's favourite meals, and my husband was going to see him tonight, so I could fill up two containers for him - oh, it was chicken stew/casserole and mashed potatoes. Plus, I sent him homemade chicken noodle soup and a chicken breast sandwich, just how he likes it.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Sorry, I don't know why I can't get the pictures to show on there but it said you are in my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery.

~just your average nerd~

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@Natalka when I got to the part about the struggle you went through to make that meal ( mainly as it is Milan's fav! ) my heart was so bursting with sadness....well no maybe it was JOY!
    I celebrate your determination and success in making it. Main thing now is to get the rest after you do those things to recover from the owies ( those hips, knees, back, etc )

All the best!
    Last edited by walkonby; Wed, Jan 24th, 2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: changed a word.... heart! not heat....lol

babies teach us acceptance

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information