User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: [Rant] Want to save money? Shop Black Friday—they don’t have anything!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Just saved money going to the store. Advertised Black Friday items are nowhere to be found.

Checked the shelves where the items were to be located, and there is only room for 2 of each item. Asked the staff and they said that they sold out first thing this morning.

No rain checks.
    No trucks/deliveries expected.
    No tax sale for two days only.

Love saving money!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel, sweetmomma, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Mom went to the grocery store today and said the whole store was upside down. She asked them what was going on and they told her she should've been there at 6 a.m.

6 a.m. at the grocery store?!
    Ciel, sweetmomma and Shwa Girl like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Heck before Black Friday I went to Wal-Mart to buy items not on sale and they did not have any of those items.

Then I went to a different Wal-Mart on Black Friday to get an item that was on sale. I found one sitting on top of a vacuum box, it was a kitchen mixing bowl set. I asked someone where they were as I wanted another set and was told they were a Black Friday Sale they do not have a home there are on an end cap somewhere in the store. I got someone else to check stock who told me they have 3 since I already had one I gave up, took the 1 I found and went to Canadian Tire to by a similar version but had less pieces but was the same price.

Canadian Tire was a bit of the same story trying to find the product and I had to ask 3 different people for help. The first 2 I asked looked at me and then kept walking when I said excuse me. The third said they are down there on an end cap and pointed. I did manage to find them but was not impressed.
    Ciel, sweetmomma, walkonby and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i feel for the employees that have to work on black friday.. some of them have to put up with all sort of heck from customers trying to get a great deal (most customers are great mind you and respectful of the store and staff, but there is always one out there that gets mad at the staff for things beyond their control, or who leave the store in shambles)... we went out, mostly to do her santa photo (foolishly of us!) thought that since it was mid afternoon it wouldn't be as chaotic at the mall since the hot items would be long gone by then and it was still crazy, many employees were looking worn out but still putting on the smile, i felt for the Tim Hortons employee that had been there since 5am (it was 4pm!) but still wearing a smile and positive and chatty

this season can bring out the best, but also bring out the worst in some people..

fortunately we were able to find the few things were were looking for, and managed to get the other items days earlier (both old navy and body shop had their "black friday deals" for most the week already)
    Last edited by Midnightly; Sat, Nov 25th, 2017 at 06:26 PM.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i would HATE to work in sales...i just hate dealing with people. we were at staples today getting a price adjustment & the girl was new, she had to ask for help about 5 times, i felt so bad, we just tried to make her laugh, it went smoothly in fact ive never had a problem with staples...the even let me exchange an opened ink cartridge last yr!
    JadeAngel, Ciel, GoJays and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

We scored a new 42 inch television for $299 + taxes and the store wasn't even crazy busy at 11 am, but I went to Home Outfitters and all the good stuff was long gone. Staff told me that there were only "limited quantities" of those items.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Heck before Black Friday I went to Wal-Mart to buy items not on sale and they did not have any of those items.

Then I went to a different Wal-Mart on Black Friday to get an item that was on sale. I found one sitting on top of a vacuum box, it was a kitchen mixing bowl set. I asked someone where they were as I wanted another set and was told they were a Black Friday Sale they do not have a home there are on an end cap somewhere in the store. I got someone else to check stock who told me they have 3 since I already had one I gave up, took the 1 I found and went to Canadian Tire to by a similar version but had less pieces but was the same price.

Canadian Tire was a bit of the same story trying to find the product and I had to ask 3 different people for help. The first 2 I asked looked at me and then kept walking when I said excuse me. The third said they are down there on an end cap and pointed. I did manage to find them but was not impressed.
    You could fill out the receipt surveys to let the stores know about the poor customer service.
    Ciel, sweetmomma and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I lucked out at the Bay on Friday, they had everything I wanted in stock(I was planning on ordering online but online didn't have what I wanted even though the flyer said online and in store). Then I went to find the Leap Frog tablet for my youngest and no one had it despite it being advertised in multiple flyers. I ended up getting both my kids Galaxy tablets from Shoppers(who shockingly had tons of stock on all the big deals they were advertising) with my points for $10+tax.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Mom went to the grocery store today and said the whole store was upside down. She asked them what was going on and they told her she should've been there at 6 a.m.

6 a.m. at the grocery store?!
    Yes, Walmart opened at 6am on Black Friday. I was sane enough to only go in during the afternoon just to access the McDonald's. Not feeling the need for stampede.
    Tweets77 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Just saved money going to the store. Advertised Black Friday items are nowhere to be found.

Checked the shelves where the items were to be located, and there is only room for 2 of each item. Asked the staff and they said that they sold out first thing this morning.

No rain checks.
    No trucks/deliveries expected.
    No tax sale for two days only.

Love saving money!
    Adbusters would be proud of your Buy Nothing run however, you did spend time. Sorry to read of the frustrating search for nothing. May you discover some local stores that wow you instead and earn your gift money!
    Thumpersmom likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    I lucked out at the Bay on Friday, they had everything I wanted in stock(I was planning on ordering online but online didn't have what I wanted even though the flyer said online and in store). Then I went to find the Leap Frog tablet for my youngest and no one had it despite it being advertised in multiple flyers. I ended up getting both my kids Galaxy tablets from Shoppers(who shockingly had tons of stock on all the big deals they were advertising) with my points for $10+tax.
    Yay for Shoppers having tons of stock! That does not seem to be usual case, so recognition is due.
    Lyssia510 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought nothing on Black Friday and saved a ton of money. Yah for me!! LOL!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Black Friday and even Boxing Day sales are no longer that good these days. Lot of unwanted & outdated things & older models seem to go on sale these days.

Sometimes I find better deals & clearance sales in January than on Black Friday & Boxing Day sales, when retailers are clearing out last year stuff.
    Tweets77 likes this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

I don't make a huge effort to shop on Black Friday or Boxing Day. I hate the packed stores and the mess that the stores are.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Black Friday and even Boxing Day sales are no longer that good these days. Lot of unwanted & outdated things & older models seem to go on sale these days.
    Sometimes I find better deals & clearance sales in January than on Black Friday & Boxing Day sales, when retailers are clearing out last year stuff.
    I hear that...

I used to be the type who would stand out in the cold waiting for Future Shop (remember them?) to open up... scoping out a few key items from their Boxing Day flyer.

Now when I look at the Boxing Day sales I say "I saw that for the same price in August" -- and with some of the stuff showing on (Canadian) Black Friday deals, I know I actually DID get them for a better price back in July.

It also seems that ever since Black Friday started being a thing here in Canada (only the last few years, has it been -- it never was) that neither Black Friday nor Boxing day are all that impressive.. as they kind of balanced one another out.

I was wondering if it was that I just got to be a better shopper all-year-round or if the deals are really all that less impressive than they used to be. Maybe it's a bit of both.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information