User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By tjthemanto
  • 2 Post By tjthemanto

Thread: Pros and cons of a wireless home phone

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Since I don't know anyone who has one IRL, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has some thoughts.

TIA
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do you mean a cordless home phone?

Pros - you can take it anywhere around the house and even in your yard or driveway.

Cons - remember to place it back on the charger or battery will die. Also, some baby monitors and can pick up conversations you have on cordless phones.

LOL ok never mind, just came back to edit this after googling "wireless home phone"...nope I don't know anything about those.
    Last edited by greeny; Fri, Dec 29th, 2017 at 02:23 PM.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Thanks anyway.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    Since I don't know anyone who has one IRL, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has some thoughts.
    TIA
    PROS :

1. Much cheaper than a Regular landline like BELL . Especially if you go for extra features like Call Display etc , which cost an arm & leg with BELL.
    2. You can actually take it with you, just like a Cell phone like say to your cottage. As long as they have Cell coverage over there.

CONS :
    1. If the Cellular network is down it won't work. Generally wired landline never goes down, cellular networks sometimes go down.
    2. If the power goes down it won't work. Unless you have power/battery back up which is connected to it during power/electricity outage. They might or might not provide it with the unit you buy, but generally they do.
    3. 911 calls will be E911 calls (Enhanced 911). So you HAVE to make sure you have the right/accurate and updated address in their data base.
    Regular phone line when you dial 911 they immediately/automatically know your exact location/address, even if you just call & hang up.
    E911 might be slightly different. Its kind of like the VOIP phones 911 .
    super_e, 4sure5, Arjon and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Do you mean a cordless home phone?

Pros - you can take it anywhere around the house and even in your yard or driveway.

Cons - remember to place it back on the charger or battery will die. Also, some baby monitors and can pick up conversations you have on cordless phones.

LOL ok never mind, just came back to edit this after googling "wireless home phone"...nope I don't know anything about those.
    LOL

I think its more like this FIDO home phone.

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/fido-home-phone

Its almost like a regular landline but it goes through their Cellular towers & network. Its more similar to the VOIP Internet phones like Comwave etc than regular old fashioned phone line like BELL.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    PROS :

1. Much cheaper than a Regular landline like BELL . Especially if you go for extra features like Call Display etc , which cost an arm & leg with BELL.
    2. You can actually take it with you, just like a Cell phone like say to your cottage. As long as they have Cell coverage over there.

CONS :
    1. If the Cellular network is down it won't work. Generally wired landline never goes down, cellular networks sometimes go down.
    2. If the power goes down it won't work. Unless you have power/battery back up which is connected to it during power/electricity outage. They might or might not provide it with the unit you buy, but generally they do.
    3. 911 calls will be E911 calls (Enhanced 911). So you HAVE to make sure you have the right/accurate and updated address in their data base.
    Regular phone line when you dial 911 they immediately/automatically know your exact location/address, even if you just call & hang up.
    E911 might be slightly different. Its kind of like the VOIP phones 911 .
    Thanks. And how would you regard VOIP as an option?

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have a co worker who has this and has said bad weather can interfere with phone service and at times calls are dropped. Now with that being said they rural and have the same issues with their internet.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    Thanks. And how would you regard VOIP as an option?
    VOIP also pretty much has the same pros & cons as a Wireless phone.

If your internet is NOT working your VOIP phone won't work.

If your electricity goes down your VOIP phone won't work unless you have a back up power supply like - UPS - Uniterrupted Power Supply. But they are NOT that expensive these days, so keep one attached to the VOIP adapter or Wireless Phone adapter.

VOIP 911 also works a bit different than regular 911.
    4sure5 and Kane Archer like this.

Thread Information