User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Flies on donuts at Tim Hortons

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So I was at Tim's last week because I received a gift card. There were flies in the donut case, so I told the cashier.

Me: There are flies in the donut case.
    Cashier 1: next customer!
    Cashier 1: Your sandwich will be over there! [point to left, exit area]
    Me: There is a fly on the apple fritter right now.
    Worker pouring coffee: Hello. [smile]
    Me: [walked to next cashier]
    Cashier 2: What can I get you today?
    Me: I'm just waiting, but I want to tell you that there are flies in the donut case.
    Cashier 2: Okay.
    Me: There is a fly on the apple fritter right now. [point to flies]
    Me: There are flies on the donut. You should discard them.
    Me: Do you understand me? I said, there are flies on the donuts.
    Cashier 1: Your sandwich is not here, it's over there! [talked to me like I'm deaf]
    Me: The fly is on the sourcream glazed! [point to flies]
    Cashier 1: YOUR---SANDWICH---IS---OVER---THERE. [talked to me like I don't understand English]
    Me: I'm talking to her right now. Can you not interrupt?
    Cashier 1: Fine~ [exit area with attitude]
    Me: There are flies, you need to discard them.
    Customers behind me: Oh dear, there are flies... maybe just the coffee?

The first cashier has heavy accent, and heavier attitude. What annoys me is the cashier 2, very pretty young girl. She knows and saw the flies but pretend nothing happened, kept saying, "Okay" like a robot. I suspect flies on donut is never cause for discarding them?

I'm never eating Tim's again for the rest of my life.
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Tim Hortons
    Last edited by EvilTofu; Sun, Dec 31st, 2017 at 09:00 PM.
    Ciel, Shwa Girl, ishyx0x and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Last edited by GracieAnne; Mon, Jan 22nd, 2018 at 10:36 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Overreaction. Rather than clog up the lines for the cashier, next time ask to speak with the duty manager.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTofu View Post
    So I was at Tim's last week because I received a gift card. There were flies in the donut case, so I told the cashier.

Cashier 1: next customer!
    Cashier 1: Your sandwich will be over there! [point to left, exit area]
    Me: There is a fly on the apple fritter right now.
    Worker pouring coffee: Hello. [smile]
    Me: [walked to next cashier]
    Cashier 2: What can I get you today?
    Me: I'm just waiting, but I want to tell you that there are flies in the donut case.
    Me: There is a fly on the apple fritter right now. [point to flies]
    Me: There are flies on the donut. You should discard them.
    Me: Do you understand me? I said, there are flies on the donuts.
    Cashier 1: Your sandwich is not here, it's over there! [talked to me like I'm deaf]
    Me: The fly is on the sourcream glazed! [point to flies]
    Cashier 1: YOUR---SANDWICH---IS---OVER---THERE. [talked to me like I don't understand English]
    Me: I'm talking to her right now. Can you not interrupt?
    Cashier 1: Fine~ [exit area with attitude]
    Me: There are flies, you need to discard them.
    Customers behind me: Oh dear, there are flies... maybe just the coffee?

The first cashier has heavy accent, and heavier attitude. What annoys me is the cashier 2, very pretty young girl. She knows and saw the flies but pretend nothing happened, kept saying, "Okay" like a robot. I suspect flies on donut is never cause for discarding them?

I'm never eating Tim's again for the rest of my life.
    OP, you tried to let the employees know and they did not take action.Flies carry disease and can make people sick:
    flies are strongly suspected of transmitting at least 65 diseases to humans, including typhoid fever, dysentery, cholera, poliomyelitis, yaws, anthrax, tularemia, leprosy and tuberculosis. Flies regurgitate and excrete wherever they come to rest and thereby mechanically transmit disease organisms.
    You could call the health department. The health department inspects restaurants. The health department employees work on holidays too.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Dec 31st, 2017 at 10:57 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had a similar response back in September at a local area Second Cup. While I went in there for a baked item, the bakery case had a half dozen flies landing on the cookies, muffins, and cakes.

I told them about it, and while I wasnt treated as rudely as the OP, they did acknowledge that they were aware and said (to what I can only describe as stupidly) with "what are we supposed to do about it?"

I said, maybe dispose of those items and perhaps put fresh items out under a more secure cover... a cake-safe (which they have) or some such.

Problem is, Second Cup doesnt bake their products on site. A good number of them are brought in from local bakeries (even Costco, go figure).
    But they can't leave them in their packaging apparently as it's not as aesthetically pleasing. Suffice it to say, I didnt buy any baked goods that day, nor any day since.

I expect they too are told to leave the items out. Sounds like a standard practice. They really ought to get more secure and better sealed bakery cases.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

If you have the time, record everything. Then post it on social media. This will catch the attention of the media. This will do more damage to their reputation than the cost of dumping the goods. I'm pretty sure Tim's are franchised. When the owners see or hear the story on the news, let's say they won't be happy campers.

Or call a TV or radio station and say blah blah blah at this restaurant and location. They would be there before anyone could get rid of the evidence. This will definitely make them clean up their act.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Flies at this time of year?
    JadeAngel, Ciel and akajw like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Flies at this time of year?
    I was thinking the same thing, Not only is it late December, but also the fact that it's been abnormally cold to boot. However rare, it's not out of the question to see flies, especially in a place that might be bringing in fresh foods like vegetables imported from warmer climates. If people can find spiders and scorpions among the bananas and cantaloupes at the grocery store, the idea of flies coming in with the same cartons of produce isn't hard to fathom, or even just their larva on the cartons.

The other possibility is that an isolated and coincidental occurrence that maybe a customer brought them from their home where they may have a resident problem (sadly, not everyone is as hygienic as we'd all like) -- perhaps maybe even rode in on a service animal. Although if the staff are diligent and on their toes, the fly incident would be isolated to a day or two at most.

Extending the thought that "not everyone is hygienic" -- if it's a continual problem at this location, then maybe it's a staff member bringing them in.

Lastly, and worse, it could mean they are resident to the location. This would probably be more likely or evident if other signs of poor cleaning and hygiene practices are observed at that location, which means the management and staff just dont care at all.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Mon, Jan 1st, 2018 at 09:12 AM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Do you overthink everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, Not only is it late December, but also the fact that it's been abnormally cold to boot. However rare, it's not out of the question to see flies, especially in a place that might be bringing in fresh foods like vegetables imported from warmer climates. If people can find spiders and scorpions among the bananas and cantaloupes at the grocery store, the idea of flies coming in with the same cartons of produce isn't hard to fathom, or even just their larva on the cartons.

The other possibility is that an isolated and coincidental occurrence that maybe a customer brought them from their home where they may have a resident problem (sadly, not everyone is as hygienic as we'd all like) -- perhaps maybe even rode in on a service animal. Although if the staff are diligent and on their toes, the fly incident would be isolated to a day or two at most.

Extending the thought that "not everyone is hygienic" -- if it's a continual problem at this location, then maybe it's a staff member bringing them in.

Lastly, and worse, it could mean they are resident to the location. This would probably be more likely or evident if other signs of poor cleaning and hygiene practices are observed at that location, which means the management and staff just dont care at all.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Lol the people who think its ok , Wouldnt want to see your guys kitchen or eat from you guys gross! Im with you op those people shouldve got rid of fly and discarded donuts touched those things are nasty ! Carry lots of diseases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Do you overthink everything?
    Yup.
    GoJays likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

These days I just go to McDonalds for my coffee . Tim's coffee sucks, although their dark roast is not bad, but regular coffee is bad.

All their baked goods like donuts are no longer fresh baked in store, but just some stale frozen crap from their factory, which is re heated in stores

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by julies1949 View Post
    Overreaction. Rather than clog up the lines for the cashier, next time ask to speak with the duty manager.
    Actually Under reaction from the cashiers. If they ( 2 of them ! ) had just acknowledged her complaint & said we will get rid of the flies, things would have been better. Not maybe immediately but we will get to it.

But yes they won't discard them. Maybe they need a cockroach or rodent infestation before they will actually do anything
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Mon, Jan 1st, 2018 at 10:39 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Call restaurant inspectors in your area and/or fill out guest feedback on www.timhortons.com

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

OP, if this really bothers you. Talk to a manager.
    But seriously people. It's a fly...or flies. You'll likely live.
    Natalka, GoJays, samm07 and 1 others like this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information