• 1 Post By maggiespice
  • 1 Post By GoodBoy
  • 1 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 1 Post By GoodBoy
  • 1 Post By tjthemanto

Thread: Mortgage Renewal

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Currently have a 5 yr fixed mtg with TD that is up for renewal hext month.They called me about a month and a half ago to offer a rate seeing that the BOC was to make an announcement. I declined and the BOC didn't increase the rate. About an hour or so ago they called to offer me a that is lower than what is stated in the renewal docs that I received 3 days ago. I am being offered 3.34 on a 5 yr fixed but I feel that they can go lower because 8 went through the same thing 5 yrs ago. I know we are not obliged to but I'd like to stay with them. Is this a good rate? I'll ask for a reduction to 3.24 to match what Tangerine is offering (what I saw online).
    Thanks in advance
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

RBC just increased their 5 year rate. Expect other banks to follow more than likely.

Sent from my iPhone
    Shirnette likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Make the big banks compete with each other.
    Last edited by maggiespice; Sun, Jan 14th, 2018 at 01:04 PM.
    GoodBoy likes this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good rate! When I started with my mortgage I was paying 14% and the lowest I ever had was 7%. Past tense fortunately Then again I had a mortgage lender who allowed me to pay as much extra every week as I wanted and then when I discharged the mortgage there were zero fees. They just said... "thanks - you are finished" It was a good day
    Last edited by GoodBoy; Sat, Jan 13th, 2018 at 09:06 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That is a competitive rate. Keep in mind if you switch, you will have to "re-qualify" under new rules. . . which means you have to qualify at 2% higher than going rate....so for example if you goy a 3% rate, you have to qualify at 5%.
    If you're going to negotiate, do it now before the rate announcement.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Bank of Canada rate likely to go up Wednesday ... may see more banks increasing their lending rates then...
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Editorial states that the interest rate change is making mortgage debt harder to bear for folks.
    http://torontosun.com/opinion/editor...ing-in-red-ink
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shirnette View Post
    Currently have a 5 yr fixed mtg with TD that is up for renewal hext month.They called me about a month and a half ago to offer a rate seeing that the BOC was to make an announcement. I declined and the BOC didn't increase the rate. About an hour or so ago they called to offer me a that is lower than what is stated in the renewal docs that I received 3 days ago. I am being offered 3.34 on a 5 yr fixed but I feel that they can go lower because 8 went through the same thing 5 yrs ago. I know we are not obliged to but I'd like to stay with them. Is this a good rate? I'll ask for a reduction to 3.24 to match what Tangerine is offering (what I saw online).
    Thanks in advance
    Good rate if you don't want the hassle of re qualifying, maybe some administrative charges , new paper work etc.

Also as MortgageQueen explained you will have to go through the new mortgage rules with other lenders.

But some smaller players have 5 year fixed at 2.99 % . Compare rates below :

https://www.ratehub.ca/best-mortgage...scenario=renew

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Editorial states that the interest rate change is making mortgage debt harder to bear for folks.
    http://torontosun.com/opinion/editor...ing-in-red-ink
    Lot of people on variable rates are in for a rude awakening. I think now might be the time to convert those variable mortgages into fixed ones.

I don't see rates decreasing anymore, they will just steadily rise from here at 0.25 % at a time. The days of very low rates is over now. Should cool the hot RE market in GTA & GVR, when the new Mortgage rules kick in & rates go up.
    Colsgirl likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shirnette View Post
    Thanks in advance
    So what did you decide? Just wanted to bring up the point when changing to other lenders - there are usually legal fees, appraisal fees and a learning curve for the terms at the outset. Sometimes the devil you know isworth sticking with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

https://surveys.gobranded.com/users/...f49b113b291653

Starting a new Chapter in the Golden Horseshoe in 2017!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by endi2000 View Post
    So what did you decide? Just wanted to bring up the point when changing to other lenders - there are usually legal fees, appraisal fees and a learning curve for the terms at the outset. Sometimes the devil you know isworth sticking with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Generally for Renewal, even though you are going with a different lender, they are not too high. Sometimes the other guys waive them off to get your business

But if its a fresh new mortgage, yeah they can add up

Thread Information