User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: I was a car salesman for both Ford and Toyota, ask me anything! (AMA)

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A little about myself, I worked in corporate for a number of years, and I was burnt out with the repetitive work, working for 8 hours, but most of my work was done in 4 hours. Company was bought out and I lost my job, a good friend of mine suggested working with him at Ford. I had zero selling experience, but since the job was 10 min away from my home, I took a chance. What an eye opening experience, I thought most dealerships were nothing more than money hungry companies, and boy did they prove that every day. Here are some notes about dealerships.

1. OMVIC protects the buyer, not the sellers. They cannot hold your credit card hostage, or your deposit if you change your mind, up to a certain point in the transaction. Eg. You are approved for financing, car is prepped and ready and you walk in changing your mind, good chance you may lose your deposit. However, dealerships are not complete monsters, they will try to work with you. If all else fails, contact OMVIC.

2. Some manufacturers like Ford, offer a winter tire package from the manufacturer and not from the dealership. This means that the dealership doesn't care if you buy their vehicle at cost, the manufacturer supplies the tires. Some other dealerships offer winter tires, but it is from the dealership, meaning, the price of the tires are in the price of the vehicle. Big difference.

3. Winter mats, mud flaps are lose leaders, meaning that if you ask for them to be included in the price of the vehicle, you can get them generally for free. Depending on the cost of the vehicle, some dealerships will throw them in. The more expensive the vehicle, the more room a dealership has with lose leaders.

4. Remote starters, rust protection packages and extended warranties is what the dealerships love the most, they can lose money on the car, but make it up in the Financial office. Do your homework and see what these items cost from third parties. These items do not void your warranty if installed by a professional. Oil changes as an example can be done at home, keep all receipts and a log book of when you did the oil changes. Your manual that comes with the car will dictate this.

5. Speaking of manuals, go grab it immediately and read it. Especially the part of maintenance. The advisors in most dealerships work on commission and it is in their best interest to add on services you do not need. Your manual is the gospel about your vehicles maintenance, if all it needs for the first 4 years is an oil change, do you really need to recondition your brakes? Recondition and servicing your brakes are different by the way.

Ask me questions and I will do my best to answer them.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    anisa, Lynn49, barbis9 and 3 others like this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Why do I need a car - have not had one in more than 30 years ... well you did say ask
    anisa and barbis9 like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

How do I approach a dealership about recalls that were issued on my vehicle in the past, but I was unaware of until a few weeks ago when hubby pulled up our VIN on his diagnoser.

2004 Camry.

We bought it used and not from a dealership. We only ever went to a dealer twice. Once for an oil change and once for an actual repair. They never had any conversations with us about potential recalls. (Attrell in Brampton, we are in St Catharines now)

Do I just drive up and say "hey, we might have some recalls on this vehicle, can you check it out?"?
    barbis9 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, why is Toyota making some cars in Mexico now, instead of Canada?
    barbis9 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the service department is out to make money, performing a recall service doesn't make them money like reconditioning your rotors. Here is a link to check your vehicle for recalls. Call Toyota of Canada as well to register your vehicle with them so that they may send you notifications via mail.

https://www.toyota.com/recall
    barbis9 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You answered your own question. If you don't need a car, I can only assume the amount of money you are saving is huge.
    barbis9 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    OP, why is Toyota making some cars in Mexico now, instead of Canada?
    There is numerous reasons why a company would move production somewhere else. However, the plant in Cambridge did get more money to improve the plant and begin production on other vehicles.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...cambridge.html
    anisa, barbis9 and Shwa Girl like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here is a question no one asked, "How do I get a good deal when negotiating a car?"

One of the easiest ways is to simply email numerous dealerships on the new vehicle you wish to purchase. Here are the steps I suggest you take to find a car you like and at the best possible price.

1. Test drive the vehicles you want to try out. Be honest up front, tell them you are simply looking and if you decide on a vehicle, you will contact the salesperson with information on price. If possible, book a time with them, it will ensure they have the vehicle ready and no pressure to sell you anything, since you already warned them you are just looking.

2. Email dealerships in any given area on the exact new vehicle you want. Color, trim level, wheel sizes etc. Inform them that you are sending this email to numerous dealerships and the lowest price wins. Be specific as possible, ask for 48 months, 60 month financing as an example. Plus, always ask for the total price of a vehicle in the quote, including any admin fees, taxes etc.

3. Do not lie when sending numbers back and forth to dealerships. They know the numbers and can tell when you are lying. An example of the numbers you may see is the following. $350 biweekly at 60 months at 3.99% total out the door price is $23,450.64 including admin, freight and taxes.

Let the dealerships fight amongst themselves for your business. Once you get to a final price that you are happy with, schedule a time to get the papers signed, and inspect the vehicle you are about to purchase.

Good Luck
    anisa, Purdee and barbis9 like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I'm guessing there's no sure-fire answer, but any tips on how to find a decent garage to deal with for maintenance? And for repairs? Should both be the same place?
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

A couple more:

Are there times when it's likely to be possible to get a better deal; e.g near the end of month, late in the model year, etc.?

If we can do so, what are the pros and cons of paying cash?

TIA
    barbis9 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I am curious, my daughters lease is coming due and there is a buy out on the car Is there a way I can try and negotiate the buy out down a bit

thanks in advance
    Newfiescreech and barbis9 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

which location are you working at?
    Newfiescreech likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    I'm guessing there's no sure-fire answer, but any tips on how to find a decent garage to deal with for maintenance? And for repairs? Should both be the same place?
    The best way to find a decent mechanic is to ask friends and family. I have been able to save hundreds of dollars by asking around and seeing who people use on a regular basis.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    A couple more:

Are there times when it's likely to be possible to get a better deal; e.g near the end of month, late in the model year, etc.?

If we can do so, what are the pros and cons of paying cash?

TIA
    The best time to buy a car is near the end of the month. All dealerships are given a quota from the manufacturer to meet. If they meet that sales quota, they get bonuses, first pick of vehicles etc. If they do not meet this quota, they lose a lot of privileges including first pick of hot vehicles.

Last year models that are brand new are great deals as well, but may not participate in any current promotions, for current model cars. Eg. 0% financing

It depends on where the cash is coming from. If you saved up the money to buy a car, cash is king. If you are a using a line of credit, then it is better to get financing from the dealership.

There is pros and cons for buying a car cash, cars depreciate the second you drive them off the lot. That money may be better used in investments and if you can finance the vehicle at 0% financing, then it may be better to do so. Either way, it is up to you what you feel comfortable with.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxrboy View Post
    There is numerous reasons why a company would move production somewhere else. However, the plant in Cambridge did get more money to improve the plant and begin production on other vehicles.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...cambridge.html
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information